ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atheism

Posted by Mahtab Singh 
Atheism
April 10, 2012 07:35PM
VJKK VJKF!!!!!!

Daas was wondering if it is ok to associate with people with an athiest point of view and also what does gurmat say about atheist????? Thankyou

Bhul chukk maff karnee pyareo!! Gur Fetah
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Atheism
April 11, 2012 05:27PM
Mahtab singh jeeo - depends on what you mean by assocation - i.e if you want to mingle with them and hang around with them on purpose, then obviously this sangat with have an affect on you, if however you're merely meeting with on certain days then it will do no harm to your sikhe at all.

Thing is Gursikhs are friends of everyone come what may - -but with a limited expression of friendlyness i.e wholeheartdly fall head over heels for anyone even close family members.

AND
what does gurmat say about atheist?????

Only one thing " tere bhanee sarbat ka bhala"" - everyday minimum twice daily -ony Gurmat prays for everyone , enemies, athesits, manmukhs you name anyone and everyone on this planet.
April 11, 2012 07:08PM
Speaking from my own experience, there came a time when I once was an athiest, despite being an Amritdhari. This was about 6 years ago. I denied everything, from Gurbani to Sikh history, to principles of Gurmat, Rehit Rehni, Nitnaym, you name it. I was a troubled kid in those days, getting in trouble, being sent down to V.P., picking fights(normally with Kaaley, lol). This was all due to hanging around with "Apney" khraab munday. Then something happened. I went to India, did Darshan of Siri Harmander Sahib AKA Siri Darbar Sahib, came back and started doing Sangat of Rehitvaan Abyaasi Gursikhs. Started going to Keertan Smaagams, and I am deeply thankful to this one Granthi Singh from Toronto winking smiley smiling smiley With SatGuru Ji's Kirpaa, I started to have faith in Baani, in His Sikhi, in His Naam. Guru Sahib also blessed me with Sarbloh Bibek, come to think of it, this all happened in a couple of months! So yes, Sangat does affect you, as stated by Bhai Narinder Singh ji.
April 11, 2012 11:12PM
aha yes i meant as in if we have to as in school or daily work. and thankyou so much
April 11, 2012 11:14PM
LOL dat is alooooot of kirpa bhai sahib. I know a few atheist ppl that r actually quite simple to convert into a non-nastak form. Thankyou Bhai sahib!!
April 12, 2012 12:07AM
Since, childhood I was told not to mix with Bad because mixing with Bad will make you Bad. I used to wonder what kind of statement is that, it may happen in reverse manner also, if Good mix with Bad then Bad may also become Good equally.

This is what Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji showed that whoever came in contact with him became Gurmukh. Such is the power of Naam.

I personally believe that if there is Guru Jee's Kripaa and there is Naam then nobody can contaminate a Gursikh. Instead contamination will become Gursikh.

Remember as Physics says, "Charges flow from Higher Potential to Lower Potential". When we all have increased the potential of Naam in our lives then you know in which direction the Charges will flow. Till then Kalyug's Charged Potential seems to be High smiling smiley

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
April 12, 2012 11:45AM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
I would like to plead with Mehtab Singhji to please stay away, as my experience with working in school district has seen transformation of private religious school children when they shift to public schools, and mix with dubdey.
Also, as Bhai Ragbir Singhji's Bandaginama reminds, based on different levels of our spirituality, that is how we will be able to be steadfast to upkeep/ increase our Gursikhi, or let it lead to our downfall.
Guru Nanak Devji met the worst of worst, only to bless them with Naam, and went on His way to further bless others, never mingling with them on daily basis, as we all are having to due to work, etc.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
April 12, 2012 01:45PM
Jaisee sangat, thaisee rangat
April 12, 2012 05:01PM
No doubt Guru Ji met the " worsest of the worse" and blessed them with the greatest gift of life . But by no means are we Guru Ji; however, at the same time we are not Yogis who try to avoid people who are lost.

I believe who ever I meet in life is arranged by Guru Ji If I happen to come across an athiest I wont run away or treat them as they dont exist. As long as we are japping naam then nothing will bring us down. if we are not japping naam then we are no differnent then the athiest. This does not mean we should try to go out on a mission and try to convert all the Athiest into Sikhi. Sikhi comes at a heavey price its not meant for everyone especially athiest who have no interest in God. I remember last year a relative who was an Athiest was staying with us. He was going through a hard time in his life. He eventually started reciting paath and thinking more about God. He even asked me if he prays to God will his situation change. I said yes if you do so with faith. He must of prayed because he got out of the struggle he was going through. By no means is he a Gurmukh or a Gursikh in fact he has somewhat gone back to his old ways because of the environment he now lives in. Anybody can change if they are spoken to with the Love of God, but if someone is fully determined to never believe in God then such people are simply cursed.

The phrase in Ardas "Nanak Naam Chardhee Kala tere bhanee sarbat ka bhala" does not exist in Gurbani. The phrase simply encourages us to hope for the best for everyone including athiest. We are not suppose to bare animosity towards anyone just because they dont share the same beliefs as us. This doest mean we freely socialize people who have no interest in God. Guru Ji says even the pig is more valuable then the athiest since the pig eats up all the garabage of the city while the Athiest is simply useless.
ਕਬੀਰ ਸਾਕਤ ਤੇ ਸੂਕਰ ਭਲਾ ਰਾਖੈ ਆਛਾ ਗਾਉ ॥

There is no value in freely socialzing with non-believers. The only value is socializing with devotees of God even if its just for a couple of seconds.

ਕਬੀਰ ਏਕ ਘੜੀ ਆਧੀ ਘਰੀ ਆਧੀ ਹੂੰ ਤੇ ਆਧ ॥ ਭਗਤਨ ਸੇਤੀ ਗੋਸਟੇ ਜੋ ਕੀਨੇ ਸੋ ਲਾਭ ॥੨੩੨॥

Our life in this world is extremely short. Whatever free time we have should be spent amongst the faifthful. At work and school we come across Atheist this doesnt mean we shun them. Socialzing and communicating ( interacting) are two different things. Only if we socialize ( eat from , hang out with , etc) with Athiest does it have an effect on our jeevan.
April 13, 2012 03:22PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Sukhdeep Singhji,
By stay away, I meant work/ study beside but don't go beyond, as the following article on Beloved Bhai Jeevan Singh, would justify, please>
[manvirsingh.blogspot.com]
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login