ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is feminism anti-gurmat?

Posted by 1kaur 
is feminism anti-gurmat?
January 18, 2010 05:36PM
continued from a different thread so as not to confuse the topics...

Sukhdeep Singh
Most feminist I have met did not seem to think man and women are equal. If anything they believe women are more superior then man and they seem to hate men. WOmen do have a special duty in life but according to Gurmat man and women are equal.

You quoted
"It is an individualistic form of feminism, which focuses on women’s ability to show and maintain their equality through their own actions and choices"

Feminist who arrogantly support abortion do so because they like making their own choices regardless of the consequences abortion has to society ( the wider sangat)

The end quote states
"Issues important to liberal feminists include reproductive and abortion rights"

No way could I ever consider the Great Mata Bhago Kaur Jeee to be a feminist. She treated all her brothers with an equal eye she spoke to them with utmost humility. She had so much love for her SIkh brothers she would die for them. She regarded herself as the most humble slave of the Sangat. These are virtues which do not exist in the typical feminist. Mata Ji lead the fauj not as a means assert some form of feminism; instead she lead the fauj because of her devotion to Guru Ji, leadership and intuitive skills.

i have to repeat my original statement, that there are different kinds of feminists. i think you're talking about so-called "radical" feminists who "hate" men because they feel oppressed by the male dominated establishment.

i don't propose that radical feminists are behaving in a gurmat manner. i'm talking about the majority of women in the western world, who believe women to be equal to men. as far as i understand, this is also what guru sahib taught. feminism doesn't mean one doesn't have humility. it doesn't mean one is asserting anything. it doesn't mean one is not devoted to guru sahib. it only means that women can do what men can do. it means that we can be part of the fauj, that we can do other seva besides just cooking langar (not that there's anything wrong with cooking langar, don't get me wrong here!).

i'd also propose that AKJ is the most pro-feminist of the sikh jathas... we're the only ones who require exactly the same rehet for women and men, and allow women to do all of the same seva as men.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I partially studied feminism in college and I came to the conclusion that most feminist whether liberal or radical believe that a Womens choice is more important then anything else. Many feminist are strong supporters of Gay rights because they believe women dont need to get married and have children. Many feminist believe abortion is ok because they dont like a Man telling them that its wrong.

I have yet to meet a "liberal feminist" who possess Gurmat virtues like Humility. IF one wants equality why do it under the Feminist Banner instead of the Dharmic Banner. Im against feminism because I am against liberalism/secularism. Gurmat orientated do not mind allowing both genders to do seva because of feminism. Equality in Sikhism exist because of Dharmic principles.

BHai Gurdas Ji mentions how a women is a good daughter, good mother, and most of all a Good wife. I wonder what the liberal feminist would think about these traditional views?
sir phirea hoya europe te US da. i mean this just for theories of marxism, atheism, feminism etc.
Re: is feminism anti-gurmat?
April 10, 2012 03:32AM
When Sri Kalgidhar Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj was in process of preparing Khalsa, he needed Punj Pyaaray.

Guru Jee announced 5 times that, "Head of a Sikh is needed". Guru Jee never mentioned Male-Sikh or Female-Sikh. All of the 5 times Guru Jee mentioned "Sikh Head is needed". Hope this itself answers the query.

Follow Gurmat.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Re: is feminism anti-gurmat?
April 10, 2012 06:23AM
I believe a female can be in the Panj, as Gurbani calls both men and women on earth as soul-BRIDES. Also, Five Gurmukh Khalsay have to be in the Panj and Guru Gobind Singh jee states Khalsa mero roop hai khaas - either both genders can become a Khalsa. Therefore, they both can represent Guru Sahib in the form of Panj, regardless of what Gurmukhs have stated in the past. Bhai Gurdas Jee states that Guru Gobind Singh Jee is 101 great/perfect while all Gursikhs, regardless of their spiritual level will always remain 100, so their conclusions might not be as accurate as Guru Sahibs.

Both genders can become equally as powerful, although I believe that female singhnia will possess their own army in the future which will bring their honour high. I believe that Singhs presently indirectly have the ego of inequality and some singhnia do not care about the warrior (heroic) spirit or spiritual/saintly spirit. I know a few singhnia who are extremely spiritual and possess way more kamaee and love for Guru Sahib than all the singhs I know! However, I believe singhnia will be really powerful in the future and seeing the singhnia having their own army will strike a blow in the ego of the singhs that have inequality and expect females to need protection by them, to look after children, cook etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login