ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shree Anand Saheb - Extremely Common Mistake Correction

Posted by Upkaar Singh 
This post is a humble attempt simply instigated by Love & Respect for Gurbaanee.

Daas has been noticing for quite some time now, a common error Gursikhs of all ages and keertanees make while reciting Anand Saheb.
Punj Pauriaan of Anand Saheb are usually memorized by everyone, so very little attention is payed to read this panktee in a Gutka Saheb or on STTM. It seems crucial to point this out at this time, considering we read this banee twice everyday as part of our prescribed Nitnem.

The gurbanee panktee is:

ਘਰਿਤਤੇਰੈਸਭੁਕਿਛੁਹੈਜਿਸੁਦੇਹਿਸੁਪਾਵਏ||

In regards to the above panktee, though incorrect, the common way of reading it has become this:

ਘਰਿ ਤ ਤੇਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਦੇਵੇ OR ਦੇਵੈ ਸੁ ਪਾਵਏ||

Our Guroo is Gurbaanee itself.
Extreme care should be taken to pronounce this as ਦੇਹਿ
Correct others if we have to, no matter how old or how famous of a keertanee they are. Let's not blindly follow along.
Our lekha is accounted for by Guroo Saheb.

I apologize with hands folded for anything I might have said wrong.

-Upkaar Singh

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਿਹ
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

Extreme care should be taken to pronounce this as ਦੇਹਿ

Thanks for pointing out this common mistake while doing Paath of Siri Anand Sahib. Just want to add that the Uchaaran of this word ਦੇਹਿ should be as ਦੇਹਿਂ (i.e. nasal sound at the end) because this Pankiti is being addressed to Vaheguru.

Kulbir Singh
Vaheguroo
Many gutke sahib have it written differently. How do we know what the correct version is? Isn't it best to read as its written?
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jeeo,

One small clarification.
The reason you have mentioned above for ਦੇਹਿਂ to be nasal is that this Pankiti is being addressed to Vaheguru.
But even if we were to not consider that fact, even then since ਦੇਹਿ is a verb which ends with a sihari, shouldn't it automatically
be pronounced nasal?

One small clarification.
The reason you have mentioned above for ਦੇਹਿਂ to be nasal is that this Pankiti is being addressed to Vaheguru.
But even if we were to not consider that fact, even then since ਦੇਹਿ is a verb which ends with a sihari, shouldn't it automatically
be pronounced nasal?

This word is not pronounced as nasal everywhere. Please notice the Pankiti below where this word is not pronounced as nasal:

ਆਖਹਿ ਮੰਗਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦਾਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ॥

The word ਦੇਹਿ over here is Hukami-Kriya (Imperative case). The word ਦੇਹਿ in the Pankiti of Siri Anand Sahib means ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਤੂੰ ਦੇਵੇਂ ਜਾਂ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈਂ, so there is a nasal sound in the end of this word in that Pankiti.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
Since we are on topic of Sri Anand Sahib, I thought I can ask my question here as well smiling smiley

The vishraam in the line "Raag Ratan Parivaar, parian shabad gaavan aaian", should be after Parivaar as I placed or Parian as it is commonly read?
Vaheguroojeekaakhalsaa
Vaheguroojeekeefathehh

Kirpakaro jee

With the teenie tiny santhiyaa this daas has done so far, it seems more appropriate for the bishraam to be placed after pariaan and before shabad.

Muaafee jee

-Upkaar Singh
It is with bishraam after pareean in the santhiya file in the santhiya section.

Preetam Singh
Apologies for the mistake then and thanks for clarification, I thought I have head talwara ji mentioning that the bishraam should be after parivaar. What is the meaning of this line?
parian refers to "ragani's." The pad arth would be that "ਰਾਗ ਰਤਨ" the beutiful rags, "ਪਰਵਾਰ ਪਰੀਆ"along with their related ragani's, " ਸਬਦ ਗਾਵਣ ਆਈਆ " have come (in my mind) to sing siphat salah of Akal purakh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login