ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vichar on "How to Deal with Praise" by Bhai Parminder Singh Ji (Guru Nanak Academy)

Posted by simmal tree 
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fatheh! _/\_

One time in 2003, daas e-mailed Bhai Sahib about having problems dealing with praise from people,
especially considering I don't have a proper Gursikh jeevan.

Bhai Sahibs reply :

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I have read your e-mail and understand your concerns. All I can say is that Bani cannot be wrong...Guru Ji says that when one starts to walk the path of truth that person gets respect in this world. I understand what you are saying that you do not have the full lifestyle of a Sikh yet. Imagine if you were living a full Sikh lifestyle how much more respect you would be getting. Sometimes all of this is a test from Guru Ji. When someone does seva or simran these little tests come to see what you have learnt from your seva. All of this praise must be looked at like a test. If it gets to your head then you are failing, but if you let it in one ear and out the other then you will pass it. I had a similar problem when I was younger...and even now when I do katha people always praise me for my knowledge...or my close friends know that I get Bairag very quickly and I start crying when I listen to kirtan...they see this and start to praise me. At first I stopped going out to sangat...but then a few years ago I found another solution...I started to go to the Gurdwara early in the morning and started to do Jowrayo Di Seva. I clean the shoes while doing simran. The reason I do it in the early morning is nobody really sees me doing the seva. If I do it during the day then people see me doing the seva and start to praise me for my seva. By doing this Jowrayo Di Seva it brings me humbleness, I realize that no matter how much someone praises me for my knowledge of Sikhi or Seva I am nothing more than a slave of my Satguru and his beloved Sikhs. I would suggest that you should not worry about what people are saying. Let them say what they want. You should just not let it get to your head. I suggest you go to the Gurdwara or anywhere and do Seva with yout hands. The reason is when you do seva with your own hands it brings humbleness. Also you should not tell many people about how much Bani you read...nobody should have found out about the Bani that you read. When I was younger I had a very long Nitnem. However, when somebody would ask how much Bani I read I would answer "As much as Guru Ji makes me read." I hope this helps. Besides this I would also like to say that you should start to force yourself to wake up at amrit vela...it is our Guru's Hukam to rise early in the morning and anyone who wants full laha of Simran should rise early in the morning. You will make the most advancement by rising early in the morning...you will be surprised at the amount of spiritual advancement you can achieve by getting up early in the morning. I know it is hard to rise up in the morning...but you should think about this...if it was 4:00 in the morning and I told you there was a snake under your bed...would you still stay asleep. No! You would probably jump write up...now think this way...if you realize that the snake of death is following you and can bite you any second of your life then you will rise up early in the morning. The only problem is that we do not realize this. I hope this helps...if you have any other questions...you may call me.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Thanks for sharing this..........awesome advice.
Bhain Jee, thank you very much for sharing this. I don't have this problem myself, as I don't do anything worth praising, but just reading Bhai Sahib's words is wonderful.

Bhai Parminder Singh Jee is a very inspirational Gursikh whom I hold very close and dear to my heart, even though I never had the good fortune to meet them personally.

I regularly recommend young Gursikhs and those interested in Sikhi to listen to Bhai Sahib's katha over here: [www.gurunanakacademy.com] it is simply life changing.

You can read a bit more about Bhai Sahib's life from Gursikhs who met them at these links:
[www.tapoban.org]
[forums.waheguroo.com]
I never got to meet Bhai Sahib
WaaheGuru ...... What a blessed Gurmukh. Bhai Sahib looks alot like
Shaheed Bhai Fauja Singh JI.

Bhain Jee, thank you very much for sharing this

jaskirat singh jee khalsa...just for ur FYI simmal tree is a singh not a bibi LOL
LOL ^

But Bhai Sahib was such a Gurmukh daas used to go every sunday night to the Gurdwara Sahib to go listen to them do Gurmat Veecharan in English. Bhai Sahib used to have so much giaan and the way they told sakhian of guru jee it made you feeel like you were there with the Singhs. Everyone should check out the katha done by bhai sahib, its simply amazing
if it was 4:00 in the morning and I told you there was a snake under your bed...would you still stay asleep. No! You would probably jump write up...now think this way...if you realize that the snake of death is following you and can bite you any second of your life then you will rise up early in the morning.

-- Varne Baliharne Lakh Bariya. Dhan ne Aise Gursikh Ji. Lakh-2 Var Namaskar !!

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login