ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Were sikhs shasterdhari before Guru Har Gobind ji?

Posted by kirpakaro 
As akaal purakh is shasterdhari and so are Sikhs supposed to be but someone asked me a question that whether Sikhs were shasterdhari before Guru Har Gobind ji, I didn't know much so thought of asking if someone has read in any historic granths? I know they were given charnaamrit and naam but have never heard about ask for shasters.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I guess the only time before Sahib Sri Guru Hargobind Patshah Jee Maharaj when Sikhs thought of raising arms was when Sulhi Khan was coming to attack them, as is evident from the panktis

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
ਪ੍ਰਥਮੇ ਮਤਾ ਜਿ ਪਤ੍ਰੀ ਚਲਾਵਉ ॥
ਦੁਤੀਏ ਮਤਾ ਦੁਇ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਪਹੁਚਾਵਉ ॥
ਤ੍ਰਿਤੀਏ ਮਤਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰਉ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥
ਮੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੁਹੀ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥੧॥

Here I could be wrong, but sometimes ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰਉ ਉਪਾਇਆ has been translated as an option to raise arms. Please correct me.
The answer as far as I know is "NO"
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Dhey Shastar
could you advise any non sikh sources confirm Guru Nanak Dev jee had shasters - surely they would have been visible to them too?
Modern sikhs will sometimes try to create an image of the Guru Sahiban before Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee as "peaceful" and not being shastardhari. They use this to justify their own dhil of not being shastardhari by saying "we are sikhs of Guru Nanak, therefore we do not need to wear shastars, take amrit, ect." It is only logical that all Guru Sahiban would have had shastars with them. While Guru Nanak Dev Jee was traveling from country to country to deliver the message of Sikhi it is very improbable that Guru Sahib would not carry shastars.

ns44 jee, why is there such a hesitation in accepting that the relics were of Guru Nanak Dev Jee?

Preetam Singh
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH
Preetam singh JEO i am amazed with your interests in shastersand i am positive that you have many
YOU REMIND ME OF SHAHEED BHAI kEWAL SINGH JI.!
Please check out Piyasi Chatrik veerji's photostream:

www.flickr.com/photos/piyasi_chatrik/4698233320/in/photostream

And Chatrik jee, would you kindly elaborate on these Shastars and what known historical evidence lies behind this great finding. It would be really beneficial. Thank you.

Jaspreet Singh
Preetam Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Modern sikhs will sometimes try to create an image
> of the Guru Sahiban before Guru Hargobind Sahib
> Jee as "peaceful" and not being shastardhari.
> They use this to justify their own dhil of not
> being shastardhari by saying "we are sikhs of Guru
> Nanak, therefore we do not need to wear shastars,
> take amrit, ect." It is only logical that all Guru
> Sahiban would have had shastars with them. While
> Guru Nanak Dev Jee was traveling from country to
> country to deliver the message of Sikhi it is very
> improbable that Guru Sahib would not carry
> shastars.
>
> ns44 jee, why is there such a hesitation in
> accepting that the relics were of Guru Nanak Dev
> Jee?

preetam singh jeeo - you are jumping to conclusions and taking comments out of context. I'm not learned enough as you and maybe there are thousands of modern sikhs that are not either -- so can you educate me on my original question? in the same tone why do find it hard to answer?

secondly don't paint all modern sikhs with the same brush easily done - modern or not we're all sikhs -learners - hoping to learn more sir.
ਜੇ ਦਾਸ ਗਲਤ ਨਾ ਹੋਵੇ ਤਾਂ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਵਿਦਿਆ ਬਾਬਾ ਬੁਢਾ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਦੀਤੀ ਸੀ ਇਸਦਾ ਮਤਲਬ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਹਰਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਵਿਦਿਆ ਸਿਖ ਪੰਥ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰਚਲਤ ਸੀ |
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login