ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Raja Ranjit Singh - Haveli Destroyed

Posted by Vista 
Some more bad news. How sad is it that somebody wanted to build a bazaar there.

Raja Ranjit Singh’s Heritage Palace Destroyed

AMRITSAR SAHIB (January 11, 2012)–As per certain media reports a Heritage Haweli related to Sher-e-Punjab Maharaja Ranjit Singh located in Gujranwala (West Punjab) in Pakistan has been destroyed by a certain group of persons, who want to build a commercial shopping mall at that place. Surinder Kochar, a historian based at Amritsar, today called a press conference at Ram Bagh, Amritsar to inform about the destruction of Haweli. Surinder Kochhar is said to have informed media persons that around 11:30 (IST) he received a call from his Gujranwala based friend who informed his about the happenings.

“My friend Mohammad Kasim Raifq, who lives near the Heritage Haweli called me at around 11:30 today and told me that Haweli of Maharaja Ranjit Singh is being bulldozed by a group of persons.” Surinder is said to have told media.
Mohammad Kasim Raifq is said to have attempted to prevent the destruction along with others living in the vicinity but they were allegedly threatened by the land mafia involved in the destruction of the Haweli.

This Haweli was preserved as a protected heritage building by archaeological department of Pakistan, the news reports have added.
It is notable few years back another historic site near Ropar (East Punjab) in India where Maharaja Ranjit Singh had signed a bilateral treaty with the British, was destroyed by Sawraj Mazda. These destruction indicate it hard for the heritage of those nations to survive that have lost their state.

[www.sikh24.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Is it Raja or Maharaja?
As far I know Maharaja khitab was given to him not taken forcefully.
Is there any good reason for not calling him Maharaja?
We may or may not call Ranjit Singh Raja or Maharaja but in a true sense for a Sikh, our Maharaj is only *Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj*

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fathe
Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj is " Rajian da Raja, Mahajaian da Maharaja", we shouldn't even then call Raja Ranjit Singh, Bhai Ranjit Singh may be better than any thing else.
My purpose of questioning was that we shouldn't change some thing just beacuse we don't like it.
Great views being presented here - completely off topic - so would the comments posted above so far help in detroiation of such an important piece of heritage which belongs to the SIKHS and of course to SGGS ?
It might be off topic for you ns44 ji but if we can not recognize the importance of the Sikh himself, what will the heritage that belongs to him means to us.
A humble opinion, referring to Ranjit Singh with the title Maharaja, does not undermine Guroo Saheb's value in any way. Guroo Saheb is beyond and above worldly titles. So we should stick to calling him Maharaja Ranjit Singh. I see no harm or wrong in it. It's a petty issue to debate over.
What is petty is having a username such as 'the martyred ghost', why do people feel it necessary to hide behind such names.
100% spot on "the martyred ghost jee" - it's petty issues such as Manjit singh ji is creating which kills off communication channels between sikhs to hold tatpar satkaar for sikhs of the past and future. Consider it this way - sikhs around Maharaja Ranjit Singh time were a million miles more of calibre towards sikhism then us fools today - surely if it was such a big thing - it all would have been heavily objected at that time the petty issue you talk about Manjit singh jeeo. Issue is those Sikhs of the past didn't have time for kintu pranto or pettiness - only did what was necessary and right for the panth - and were 100% uncritical

What is petty is having a username such as 'the martyred ghost', why do people feel it necessary to hide behind such names.

ਅੰਤਿ ਕਾਲਿ ਜੋ ਮੰਦਰ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਐਸੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ||
ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਜੋਨਿ ਵਲਿ ਵਲਿ ਅਉਤਰੈ ||੪||
Baba Manmandar Singh ji, Thank you for your valued feedback. Unlike ManjitSingh ji, I don't remember asking for an opinion.

Haun vari vanjha ji, I'm not sure if you were supporting me or attacking Manmandar Singh, but I don't think that gurbani pankti has anything to do with his name.
I also wish to thank you on such a warn welcome to this website Manmandar Singh. Much appreciated!
what do you expect me to say - welcome the martyred ghost? lol

challo welcome The Martyred Ghost, live long, live strong.
ns44 jeeo, I don't think I am making any petty issue, if looking for satkaar to olden time Sikhs is petty issue then I don't want to say much about your super thinking. Also from your response it looks like you mixed things together from other posts and I can definitely say this for you:
ਤਾਲੋਂ ਘੁਥੀ ਡੂਮਣੀ ਬੋਲੇ aਾਲ ਪਤਾਲ
My message was very simple if we cannot do satkar to those Sikhs and instead try to undermine what they hard earned doing seva of Khalsa panth at that time then how does it make any sense to cry for the heritage that comes from them. Undermining those Sikhs looks to be just beacuse of one's Haume.

The other point about having user names on this site is also another issue which only administrators can do something about because they are one who approve it.
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Raja or Maharaja is worldly title for the person who rules. Maharaja fits best for Ranjit Singh because he conquered many Rajas including Kashmiri and Afghani Rajas. I do not see any problem calling him Maharaja Ranjit Singh as this a historical fact and he deserves it. In one of his writings Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee writes him as a 'Maharaja Ranjit Singh'. I do not understand why sometimes we start some unnecessary debates on something out of air which does not make any sense. How calling Ranjit Singh as a Maharaja will equate him to Guru Sahib? Do we think our Guru Sahib is just a Maharaja or
Guru Sahib is
ਰਾਜਨ ਕੇ ਰਾਜਾ ਮਹਾਰਾਜਨ ਕੇ ਮਹਾਰਾਜਾ ਐਸੋ ਰਾਜ ਛੋਡਿ ਅਉਰ ਦੂਜਾ ਕਉਨ ਧਿਆਈਐ ॥ ੩॥ ੪੨॥
In Daas's understanding later one is the case. Sikhs of past and present considers Guru Sahib are above all. No worldy Raja or Maharaja can match Guru Sahib. In fact these short timed worldly kings are under the control of Guru Sahib:

ਬਾਦਿਸਾਹ ਸਾਹ ਸਭ ਵਸਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੀਨੇ ॥
Sri Guru Nanak Dev Jee, Sri Guru Gobind Singh and Jot Saroopi Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee are above all and rules both worlds this and next. No one exist equal or above Guru Sahib.

Having said that by calling him Maharaja Ranjit Singh would no way degrading Guru Sahib's respect. If Bhai Randhir Singh Jee and many other Gursikhs called him as Maharaja Ranjit Singh then Daas do not see any problem now.

With Regards,
Daas
Vaheguru!

I do not think ManjitSingh ji created this petty issue. In other posts on this forum, he is referred to as raja and in the original post here, he was referred to as maharaja. I think he just wanted clarification, give the poor guy a break. Also, I see no harm or wrong is having usernames that arn't our real names. I swear I saw a guy post here once with the name TalibaniSikh. Come on now, you are going to pick on ME? My name might sound ridiculous, but it was the first thing that popped up in my head. If I wanted to share my real name, I would have. I think we all have that liberty, don't we ?

Thanks again Manmandar Singh ji, hopefully in the next post, we are on the same side of the coin.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

JASJITSINGH ji, you are spot on, even though we refer to guru ji as maharaaj sometimes, I do not think that referring to maharaja ranjit singh undermines guru saheb's status in any form or way. It's not like we are misusing the title either, for a Mughal emporar. Ranjit Singh indeed was mahaan. Read his history and study the lands he ruled. He even peshed at Sharomani Akaal Takhat Saheb, when he was called at his status. A mere ragi or parcharak doesn't feel the need to go today, if called.
Manjit singh jeeo many thanks for educating and your kind beautiful words.

Jasjit Singh jeeo - many thanks for clearing this up 100% spot on.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.