ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Being a 'full time' raagi?

Posted by Theguptone 
Being a 'full time' raagi?
December 27, 2011 09:45AM
Firstly, I am not talking about raagis who literally charge for doing keertan, and that to very highly! Without a doubt this is not gurmat.

My question is, if an honest seeker abhiyasi were to put a sincere effort in to learning keertan vidia, and then to use this vidia to do keertan seva full time in Gurdwara Sahibs, would it be wrong for them to be provided maya to look after their needs, gristh jeevan and family needs etc? Would the spiritual progress of such a person be stopped/ become more difficult because of this? And does jatha allow 'professional raagis' to do keertan at jatha samagams, provided they do not ask for maya for doing keertan there?

I would very much appreciate your vichaara sangat ji!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Being a 'full time' raagi?
December 29, 2011 11:04AM
First question - it's not wrong on such a person who seeks, and such sincere effort -however i would question could this person not also do a job as well as what he is doing to provide for those needs?

spirtial progress - no way of knowing - Gurmat teaches to work hard - as well as being Gurmukh and duties of seva kirtan simran etc.. no where does Gurbani or Gurmat preaches to do naam and Gurbani only and no mehnat - work -Take Example of Guru Sahiban - all did work and provided for Gristhi jeevan exception of Guru Harkrishan Jee.

I've seen professional raggis do kirtan in rehansbai's long ago not sure of the maya arrangements though - Jatha is a lover of Keertan- bedrock of it, no reason why it wouldn't invite professional raggis - however i do see this process going down hill in the jatha as of present
December 30, 2011 09:42AM
It is preferred that a Gursikh not derive his income from Kirtan Seva and have other means of earning income. Having said that, if a Gursikh is a full time Parcharak and has no other source of income, then it is only fair if Panth takes care of his daily needs. This is what the Daswandh money is for. Daswandh is not used properly by Panth. Daswandh of Panth would be in billions of dollars a year but firstly many don't take out Daswandh and those who do take it out don't make concerted efforts for the betterment of the Panth.

We need quality Parcharaks including Kirtanis, Kathakaars and Granthis and if they are doing this work full time, it's only fair if Panth takes care of their families. They shouldn't have to worry about feeding their families and educating their children. They shouldn't have to worry about their basic needs e.g. food, shelter and clothing.

In case of Raagis and Kathakaars, the Gurdwara Sahibaans should give them salary instead of members of Sangat giving them $2 or $5 at the time they do Kirtan or Katha. This prompts them to speak in such manner that pleases the Sangat in general, instead of saying such content that is in accordance to Gurmat. They worry that if they say something contrary to the majority Sangat's belief, they may not get good offerings. This should change. Only a central authority or a an organization should give them salary and trivial offerings by Sangat should be stopped.

Today, a Parcharak does not dare to say in Sangat that it is wrong to cut hair or tie beard because he worries that he may not get good offerings.

We need intelligent, and devoted people joining the ranks of Parcharaks and this is possible only if the Parcharaks are not expected to live in poverty. Everyone, including Parcharaks, have families to take care of and if as Parcharak, one cannot take good care of the family, then competent people will not be motivated to take up this task full time. Why should an accountant, a civil servant, or even a clerk get better paid than an average Parcharak?

If we want to do Parchaar of Sikhi at a large scale, then we will have to employ better strategies to do so. The foremost thing to do is attract young, smart and devoted Gursikhs to take up Parchaar. Every city should have tens of Maskeens, Srinagars, and Pinderpal Singhs. There should be training lasting years to bring out good Parcharaks including Kirtanis, Kathakaars and Amrit Sinchaar Sevadaars. There should be specially trained Parcharaks for different countries to cater to the need of those countries e.g. Western countries etc. In order to take care of their family needs, their salaries should be better than civil servants and government employees.

But who will undertake this project? How will the change come about? Only Vaheguru jee knows. We have poor leadership. What to do...

Kulbir Singh
January 02, 2012 05:48AM
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jeo,

You have hit the nail on its head. I totally agree with you and this does seem a way forward in the right direction for Panth.

However one major problem is the lack of 'right' leadership. I personally know few well-to-do sikhs in Delhi who would love to contribute finalcially for such causes. However all they need is someone to take the initiative - to take the ownership and leadership role for such an endevour.

Dass still hasn't forgotten the video uploaded on this site few months back regarding the plight of 1984 victims in Delhi, and the state of some Gurudwara Sahibs there. If anyone is blessed by Guru Sahib to do some seva in this direction, dass would feel blessed to be a part of such initiative.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login