Posted by Uttam Singh 
Gurfateh jeeo,

In the salok,

ਕਬੀਰਾ ਤੁਹੀ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੂ ਤੇਰੋ ਨਾਉ ਕਬੀਰੁ ॥
ਰਾਮ ਰਤਨੁ ਤਬ ਪਾਈਐ ਜਉ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਤਜਹਿ ਸਰੀਰੁ ॥੩੧॥

should a bishraam be placed as:

1) ਕਬੀਰਾ, ਤੁਹੀ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੂ ਤੇਰੋ ਨਾਉ ਕਬੀਰੁ ॥ As in 'Says Kabeer'
or
2) ਕਬੀਰਾ ਤੁਹੀ, ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੂ, ਤੇਰੋ ਨਾਉ ਕਬੀਰੁ ? You get slightly different meanings depending on where you put it.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bishraam should be as follows:

ਕਬੀਰਾ ਤੁਹੀ, ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੂ, ਤੇਰੋ ਨਾਉ ਕਬੀਰੁ॥

If we place Bishraam as

ਕਬੀਰਾ, ਤੁਹੀ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੂ ਤੇਰੋ ਨਾਉ ਕਬੀਰੁ ॥

Then what's the meaning of ਤੂ ? It does not relate to any word and stays as meaningless. Some translators have done the meanings ਤੁਹੀ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੂ. Then what's the meaning of ਕਬੀਰਾ? The meaning then would be O Kabir, you are Kabir you are; your Naam is Kabir. But then these meanings are not according to Gurmat as Humble Bhagat Kabir jee would never call himself great. If you do the meaning that Kabira is saying that O Vaheguru, you are Kabir you are; your Naam is Kabir, then the problem is that you have to stretch to get the meanings "Kabira is saying" because "saying" is not written there.

So very simply looking at this Pankiti, without stretching your imagination too much the meaning of the Pankiti seems to be:

(ਮੈਂ ਕਬੀਰਾ ਕੁਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਹਾਂ), ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਕਬੀਰਾ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਕਬੀਰ (ਵਡਾ) ਹੈਂ ਤੇ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਉਂ ਕਬੀਰ (ਵਡਾ) ਹੈ।
(I Kabira am nothing), you are Kabira, you are Kabir (great) and your Naam is Kabir (great).

Rest, Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you jeeo, when I first read it I automatically pronounced it as ਕਬੀਰਾ ਤੁਹੀ, ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੂ, ਤੇਰੋ ਨਾਉ ਕਬੀਰੁ॥ however when looking up different meanings I became unsure. Especially on reading Prof Sahib Singh's arth where Prof Sahib translates 'ਤੁਹੀ ਤੂ' as 'ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਤੂੰ, ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਤੂੰ', from where I got the idea that the comma might be before 'ਤੁਹੀ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੂ' .

Just one last clarification, your arth - ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਕਬੀਰਾ ਹੈਂ , is ਕਬੀਰਾ here 'great', or is it the name of Bhagat Kabeer Ji- and Bhagat Ji is saying there is no difference between Vaheguru and Kabeer Ji/Vaheguru alone is the power behind him?
I think it means - Vaheguru alone is the power behind him !! Kabeer by himself is nothing.

Vaheguru jee ka Khalsa Vaheguru jee kee fateh!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login