ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can sikhs use saam, daam, dand and bhed?

Posted by harinder_singh 
[www.info-sikh.com]

In those 52 hukams, the 29th hukam is to use saam, daam, dand, bhed with enemies.

Are these 52 hukams authentic and given by Guru Sahib ?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Kulbir Singh jeeoo ?
This is a very interesting question, Harinder Singh jeeo. Notice that the 28th Hukam is "Rajneeti Parni" i.e. learn politics and the 29th Hukam is to use Saam, Daam, Dand and Bhed to win the enemy. These can be explained as follows:

1. Saam - Try to have a conciliatory approach towards the enemy to pacify him and end the enmity.
2. Daam - If Saam does not work then use Daam i.e. money to win over your enemy. In today's society, this could mean giving aid to the enemy country or having a heavy trade agreement with the enemy country which many times ends the enmity because economic concerns motivate both countries to keep peace and ignore hostilities.
3. Dand - If both Saam and Daam don't work, then use Dand i.e. punishment or force to pacify the enemy.
4. Bhed - If Dand also does not work, then use the last weapon i.e. divide the enemy. This is when the intelligence agencies like RAW, CIA, ISI, MOSSAD etc. come in play. They do clandestine activities in the enemy state and divide the enemy. Once the enemy becomes disunited, it becomes weak and thus becomes susceptible to defeat. At this point Dand tactic is used to suppress the enemy.

About Rajneeti (politics) there is only one main book in India - Chanakya Neeti and Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaj had this book translated from Sanskrit to easy Punjabi/Hindi, by one of the 52 scholars of Guru Sahib's Darbar. I believe Kavi Sainapat translated this work. All the contents of this book are not in accordance to Gurmat, and as such should not be adopted but reading this book does make you street-smart.

At worldly level, even a Khalsa state would have to employ these tactics (Saam, Daam, Dand, Bhed) to secure its borders but at personal level, a Gursikh would stay away from these political tactics and rely solely on Akal Purakh for security. This does not mean that wisdom should be discarded but its best to never have such an enemy, towards whom, you have to employ these tactics. There is nothing like a peaceful life. Most of the times, Khalsa relies on Siri Akal Purakh and Siri Sahib for security.

As for these Hukams being authentic, they are recorded by Maha Kavi Santokh Singh. These must have been alive as oral tradition within Khalsa and he did the Seva of recording these Hukams. All Hukams that are in accordance to Gurmat, should be adopted.

Kulbir Singh
mai sab kichh chhorr prabh Tu hee dhiyaaya smiling smiley
(plz correct and forgive errors)
All 52 Hukumnamas are authentic and are in strict accordance to Gurmat.
The Hukum to use saam, daam, dand and bhed, has been used
by Gurmukhs throughout our history. For example, when sangat was
coming to Sri Amritsar to celebrate Bandi Chhor , Shahheed Bhai Mani
Singh made a deal with the Nawab of Lahor that he will pay them money
if he they did not visiting sangat ( saam and daam).
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

does anyone know where we can get that book about politics?
you can try csjs store in India
Guru Sahib had plenty of money where he could have used these tactics, but CHOSE not to, so how can his Sikhs do the opposite? A Khalsa stands up for whats right and against opressions, no matter what the cost or the odds. I would like some sort of proof that these 52 hukams are authentic, as they just dont sit right and if some are against gurmat, then surely all of it should be questioned.
Aalas Moorakh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guru Sahib had plenty of money where he could have
> used these tactics, but CHOSE not to, so how can
> his Sikhs do the opposite? A Khalsa stands up for
> whats right and against opressions, no matter what
> the cost or the odds. I would like some sort of
> proof that these 52 hukams are authentic, as they
> just dont sit right and if some are against
> gurmat, then surely all of it should be
> questioned.

I agree with u. My conscience doest allow me to use saam, daam, dand and bhed. Gursikhs can use tactics SIMILAR to saam, daam , dand(NOT bhed as using bhed, one has to lie or do nindiya of some sort).
These tactics will come naturally to gursikhs when situation arises and gursikhs dont have to remember the hukam of using saam,daam,dand,bhed.
what about the quote "keep your friends close and enemeis even closer" - does that fit in anywhere within the rules.

At present the Khalsa especailly needs forces such as MOSSAD - raw - however we are million miles aways from such agaency operations due to the issue off trust - we haev none of it with each other when it comes to having a stand on anything.
the point about Bhed is, say if Khalistan is made, wouldn't we need an intelligence agency of our own to spy on neighboring countries? without an intelligence agency the neighboring countries would literally eat us up. Even during the time of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's era, the Sikh nation employed spies to gather intelligence on the movement of the British. Maharaja Ranjit Singh was known to divide/disunite the Afghans right before waging a war with them and keeping them divided after conquering their territory.

I think we should not throw the baby with the bathwater. Surely when Khalistan is established, the national leaders will probably use some elements of Saam Dham Dand Bhed. Anything that is immoral from Gurmat point of view should be avoided. Saam Dhaam Dand Bhed can be seen as a weapon. For example, just as a gun can be used to commit evil acts but it can also be used for righteous acts like protection of Dharm, protection of the weak etc. Similarly, Saam Dhaam Dand Bhed can be used for evil ends but it can also be used for protecting ones national interests.

The 52 hukams of Guru Sahib are authentic. No one disputes this, except for maybe the Kala Afghanis (kintu prantu jatha) who we know are puppets of the GOI ironically also using the Bhed method of disuniting the Sikhs and consequently weakening us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login