ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Per Gurbani, how should one address Creator or Rab Or Prabh as Male or Female or gender less?

Posted by Ambarsaria 
I have been mostly studying Gurbani this year after a long lapse from High School years.

I get stuck at the point of calling or using male or female pronouns (He or She) and in-animate (It) when I come across shabads where the creator is exalted, identified, etc.

What is the Sangat's view on this and the reason for so if possible. I recognize that at times such may be defined through rules of grammar and I want little summary or direction on that too.

With humility and regards.

Sat Sri Akal.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Gurbani grammar differentiates between masculine/feminine gender nouns by the presence or absence of SIHARI, BIHARI OR ONKAR, on them or the related adjectives or verbs of these nouns. I think, Veer Ji will surely help us understand the rules.
In Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee, there is hardly any reference to Vaheguru as feminine. Even when Guru Sahib calls Vaheguru Mata, He says "Mera Mata" and not "Meri Mata". But this does not mean that Vaheguru according to Gurbani is masculine. Masculine and feminine qualities are only peculiar only to this body. Our Atma and Parmatma are not gender based.

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh ji thanks and it makes sense. It is a finer point and in dialog about Sikhism and gender equality espoused in Sikhism, I hesitate when I translate to keep using "He", "His" and "Him". Whereas it can be understood and explained, it just gives to a novice reader a wrong impression from the translation. Such many times start destroying constructive dialog and tangential issues creep in.

There are great words in Punjabi like the following but very troublesome to convert into English in the right context versus literal of "such", "by self", "by self (alone)".

ਉਹ ਆਪ ਖੁਦ
I am translating Sukhmani Sahib and then Sloak Baba Farid ji, time permitting. That is the essence behind my question.

Have you found a way around it, if you were to translate?

Sat Sri Akal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login