ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Presentation: Kurhehits and caste system

Posted by Damandeep Singh 
Pyaaree "Cyber" Sangat Ji, smiling smiley

Daas urgently needs:
1.).. references from puratan Rehatnaamey regarding the 4 Bajjar Kurehits. With their full names and meanings...in punjabi font if possible please

and

2.).. some Gurbani Panktiaa from Sir Guru Ji's Bani e.g. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji AND Sri Dasm Granth Sahib(Tva Parsaad Svaiey, Sri Akaal Ustat) regarding caste system and equality among human beings..

If you got any Saakhiaa regarding these topics please also post these then..

Thank you my lovely family smiling smiley
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Damandeep SIngh jee

I'm sure Bhai Manvir Singh jee can help you, he's done numerous presentations.
Thank you Vista Ji but he's not replying think he's doing Parchaar... can anyone else help please?
have a search on www.sikhanswers.com
Sukhdeep Singh, where are you?
The 4 Bajjar Kurehats that a Sikh is not allowed to do is a Hukam given by Panj Pyaare.

ਪ੍ਰਥਮ ਰਹਤ ਇਹ ਜਾਨ, ਖੰਡੇ ਕੀ ਪਾਹੁਲ ਛਕੇ॥
ਸੋਈ ਸਿੰਘ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨ, ਅਵਰ ਨ ਪਾਹੁਲ ਜੋ ਲਏ॥
ਪਾਂਚ ਸਿੰਘ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਜੋ ਦੇਵੈਂ॥ਤਾਂਕੋ ਸਿਰ ਧਰਿ ਛਕ ਪੁਨ ਲੇਵੈ॥
ਪੁਨ ਮਿਲਿ ਪਾਂਚੋ ਰਹਤ ਜੁ ਭਾਖੈਂ॥ ਤਾਂ ਕੋ ਮਨ ਮੇ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ ਕਰ ਰਾਖੈ॥
(ਰਹਤਨਾਮਾ ਭਾਈ ਦੇਸਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ)

The Maryada is given Seenaa Baseenaa and are all based on the 'Sidaant' (principles) contained in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

The 4 Bajjar Kurehats in accordance to Panthic Maryada are:

੧) ਕੇਸਾਂ ਦੀ ਬੇ-ਅਦਬੀ
੨) ਕੁੱਠਾ ਖਾਣਾ
੩) ਪਰ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਜਾਂ ਪਰ-ਪੁਰਸ਼ ਦਾ ਗਮਨ (ਭੋਗਣਾ)
੪) ਤਮਾਕੂ ਦਾ ਵਰਤਣਾ

੧) ਕੇਸਾਂ ਦੀ ਬੇ-ਅਦਬੀ - Keshaa Di Beadbi

ਨਾਪਾਕ ਪਾਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹਦੀਸਾ ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਿਰਾ ||੧੨|| (Ang 1084)
"“O person of God! Let good deeds be your body, and faith your bride. (Instead having enjoyment of immoral deeds) Play and enjoy in God’s love and delight. O person of God! Purify the mind what is impure (with bad thoughts) “this is the religious tradition through which you can experience the Lord’s Presence. (Abandoning circumcision, mutilation and deferment of the body etc) preserve a complete appearance with a turban on your head” this becomes the way to maintain respect and honour. ||12||”

ਕੇਸਨ ਕੀ ਕੀਜਹੁ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ ।
ਨ ਉਸਤਰਨ ਸੇ ਕਟਯੋ ਬਾਲ ।੧੮। (Gur Panth Prakaash – R S Bhangu)
"Look after your Kesh. Do not remove them nor cut them."

ਜਵਾਬ ਨਾਨਕ ਸ਼ਾਹ ਸੂਰਾ:
ਸਚੀ ਸੁਨਿਤ ਰਬ ਦੀ ਮੋਇਆ ਲੈ ਆਇਆ ਨਾਲ |
ਜੋ ਰਖੇ ਮੋਇ ਅਮਾਨਤੀ ਖਾਸਾ ਬੰਦਾ ਭਾਲਿ |
ਅਵਲ ਸੁੰਨਤ ਮੋਇ ਹੈ ਸਿਰ ਪਰ ਰਖੇ ਕੋਇ |
ਪਾਵੇ ਮਰਾਤਬਾ ਸਯਦੀ ਬਡਾ ਰਿਖੀਸਰ ਹੋਇ |
(ਮੱਕੇ ਮਦੀਨੇ ਦੀ ਗੋਸ਼ਟਿ, ਪੰਨਾ ੧੪੪. ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਯੂਨਿਵਰਸਿਟੀ)
"Courageous Lord Nanak replied: The true divine sunnat (tradition) is the hair brought by birth. Blessed is the one who keeps the hair as a trust of God. The primary sunnat is hair and the one who adorns it on his head acquires the status of a rishi (sage) or a sayyid (master)."
(Conversation of Mecca-Madina, page 144, Punjabi University)

ਮੋਇ ਸਿਰਪਾਉ ਖੁਦਾਇਦਾ ਲੈ ਆਇਆ ਬੰਦਾ ਨਾਲ |
ਨਾਨਕ ਆਖੇ ਪੀਰ ਜੀ ਫਿਰ ਲੈ ਜਾਇ ਨਾਲ |
ਫਿਰ ਗਇਆ ਦਰਗਹ ਵਿਚਿ ਅਕੇ ਰਖਿ ਨੀਸਾਨ |
ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਰਬ ਦੀ ਭੰਨਨ ਬੇਈਮਾਨ |
(ਮੱਕੇ ਮਦੀਨੇ ਦੀ ਗੋਸ਼ਟਿ, ਪੰਨਾ ੧੪੪. ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਯੂਨਿਵਰਸਿਟੀ)
"Says Nanak, the hair is the blessing of the Lord to man which ought to be presented back. The man has to present himself in the court of Lord with this trust. The one who could not keep the hair intact has is in fact committed breach of trust and is to be regarded as be-eemaan (faithless)."
(Conversation of Mecca-Madina, page 144, Punjabi University)

ਆਖੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਬਹਾਵਦੀ ਪੀਰ |
ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ਦੁਇ ਸਿਰ ਗੁੰਮ ਥੀਏ ਜਹੀਰਿ |
(ਮੱਕੇ ਮਦੀਨੇ ਦੀ ਗੋਸ਼ਟਿ, ਪੰਨਾ ੧੩੮. ਪੰਜਾਬੀਯੂਨਿਵਰਸਿਟੀ)
"Says Nanak to Pir Bahavdeen, both Hindus and Muslims by losing the hair in fact have lost head and have become sirgum."
(Conversation of Mecca-Madina, page 138, Punjabi University)

੨) ਕੁੱਠਾ ਖਾਣਾ - Kutthaa Khaanaa

ਕਬੀਰ ਜੋਰੀ ਕੀਏ ਜੁਲਮੁ ਹੈ ਕਹਤਾ ਨਾਉ ਹਲਾਲੁ || ਦਫਤਰਿ ਲੇਖਾ ਮਾਂਗੀਐ ਤਬ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਕਉਨੁ ਹਵਾਲੁ ||੧੮੭||(Ang 1375)
"O Kabeer! Those that use force and kill and call it lawful, after going to the Court of God, what will be their state? ||187||"

ਕਬੀਰ ਖੂਬੁ ਖਾਨਾ ਖੀਚਰੀ ਜਾ ਮਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਲੋਨੁ ॥
ਹੇਰਾ ਰੋਟੀ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਗਲਾ ਕਟਾਵੈ ਕਉਨੁ ॥੧੮੮॥
"O Kabeer! The dinner of beans and rice is excellent, if it is (just) flavoured with salt. I am not ready to have my own throat cut to have meat with my bread? ||188||"
(SGGS - Ang 1374)

ਦੂਖੁ ਨ ਦੇਈ ਕਿਸੈ ਜੀਅ ਪਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਵਉ ॥
"Do not cause any being to suffer, and you shall go to your true home with honor."
(SGGS - Ang 322)

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥
ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥
"O Kabeer! Those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine - no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||"
(SGGS - Ang 1377)

ਜਉ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਕਹਤ ਹਉ ਤਉ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਰਗੀ ਮਾਰੈ ॥੧॥
"If in all is the one God, then why kill a chicken?"
(SGGS - Ang 1350)

ਕੁਹੈ ਕਸਾਈ ਬਕਰੀ; ਲਾਇ ਲੂਣ.ਸੀਖ ਮਾਸੁ ਪਰੋਆ||
ਹਸਿ ਹਸਿ ਬੋਲੇ ਕੁਹੀਂਦੀ; ਖਾਧੇ. ਅਕਿ ਹਾਲੁ ਇਹੁ ਹੋਆ||
ਮਾਸ ਖਾਨਿ.ਗਲਿ ਛੁਰੀ ਦੇ; ਹਾਲੁ ਤਿਨਾੜਾ ਕਉਣੁ ਅਲੋਆ||
ਜੀਭੈ ਹੰਦਾ ਫੇੜਿਆ ਖਉ ਦੰਦਾਂ ਮੁਹੁ ਭੰਨਿ ਵਿਗੋਆ॥(ਵਾਰ ੩੭, ਪਉੜੀ ੨੧)
The butcher slaughters goat and its meats is salted and strung on a skewer. Laughingly, the (the soul of the) goat says while being killed that I have come to this condition only for grazing leaves of akk plant. But what will be the plight of those who cutting the throat with knife eat flesh (of animal). The perverted taste of the tongue is harmful for the teeth and damages the mouth."

੩) ਪਰ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਜਾਂ ਪਰ-ਪੁਰਸ਼ ਦਾ ਗਮਨ (ਭੋਗਣਾ) - Par-istree jaa pursh naal gaman (bhognaa)

ਘਰ ਕੀ ਨਾਰਿ ਤਿਆਗੈ ਅੰਧਾ ॥ ਪਰ ਨਾਰੀ ਸਿਉ ਘਾਲੈ ਧੰਧਾ ॥
ਜੈਸੇ ਸਿੰਬਲੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਸੂਆ ਬਿਗਸਾਨਾ ॥ ਅੰਤ ਕੀ ਬਾਰ ਮੂਆ ਲਪਟਾਨਾ ॥੧॥
ਪਾਪੀ ਕਾ ਘਰੁ ਅਗਨੇ ਮਾਹਿ ॥ਜਲਤ ਰਹੈ ਮਿਟਵੈ ਕਬ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ (Ang 1164)
The blind fool abandons the wife of his own home,
and has an affair with another woman.
He is like the parrot, who is pleased to see the simbal tree;
but in the end, he dies, stuck to it. ||1||

ਕਿਆ ਗਾਲਾਇਓ ਭੂਛ ਪਰ ਵੇਲਿ ਨ ਜੋਹੇ ਕੰਤ ਤੂ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਫੁਲਾ ਸੰਦੀ ਵਾੜਿ ਖਿੜਿਆ ਹਭੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਜਿਉ ॥੩॥ (Ang 1095)
"What should I say to you, you fool? Don't look at the vines of others - be a true husband.
O Nanak, the entire world is blooming, like a garden of flowers. ||3||"

ਦੇਖਿ ਪਰਾਈਆਂ ਚੰਗੀਆਂ ਮਾਵਾਂ ਭੈਣਾ ਧੀਆਂ ਜਾਣੈ || (ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ ਜੀ)
"Treat all other women (other than your spouse) as your mother, sister or daughter."

ਪਰ ਬੇਟੀ ਕੋ ਬੇਟੀ ਜਾਨੈ। ਪਰ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਕੋ ਮਾਤ ਬਖਾਨੈ॥ ਅਪਨੀ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਸੋ ਰਤ ਹੋਈ। ਰਹਿਤਵਾਨ ਗੁਰੁ ਕਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੋਈ॥ ਭਾਈ ਦੇਸਾ ਸਿੰਘ
"Consider another's daughter as your daughter. Consider another lady as your mother. Only have a relationship with your own wife." (Bhai Desa Singh Rehitnama)

੪) ਤਮਾਕੂ ਦਾ ਵਰਤਣਾ - Tamaakoo da vartnaa
Note: Tamaakoo literally means tobacco. However, it means all intoxicants. In Punjabi culture we say don't do "Loon Haraamee" (eat salt from someone and then back stab them). Now, this doesn't mean it is okay to do "haraamee" (be unfaithful) after eating Laddoo or Samosay. No - "Loon Haramee" means ANY haramee. Why "Loon" (salt)? It is because salt is the cheapest or smallest food item found in one's home. Similarly, tobacco is the most readily available and cheapest drug which the masses you. So "don't consume tobacco" means "don't consume any drug, even the most cheapest drug."

ਮਾਣਸੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਆਣਿਆ ਮਾਣਸੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਆਇ ॥ ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਮਤਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਬਰਲੁ ਪਵੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਇ ॥
ਆਪਣਾ ਪਰਾਇਆ ਨ ਪਛਾਣਈ ਖਸਮਹੁ ਧਕੇ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਖਸਮੁ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਦਰਗਹ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ ॥
ਝੂਠਾ ਮਦੁ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਪੀਚਈ ਜੇ ਕਾ ਪਾਰਿ ਵਸਾਇ ॥ (Ang 554)
"One person brings a full bottle, and another fills his cup. Drinking the wine, his intelligence departs, and madness enters his mind; he cannot distinguish between his own and others, and he is struck down by his Lord and Master. Drinking it, he forgets his Lord and Master, and he is punished in the Court of the Lord. Do not drink the false wine at all, if it is in your power."

ਪਾਨ ਸੁਪਾਰੀ ਖਾਤੀਆ ਮੁਖਿ ਬੀੜੀਆ ਲਾਈਆ ||
ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਚੇਤਿਓ ਜਮਿ ਪਕੜਿ ਚਲਾਈਆ ||੧੩|| (Ang 726)
Those people who eat and chew "Paan" (nicotine betel nuts), and smoke tobacco (meaning that they those who in indulge in intoxicants), and, do not contemplate or do simran of Waheguru - (the cycle of) Death will seize them and take them away (to become entangled in the cycle of reincarnation). ||13||

ਸੁਣ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖ ਕੀ ਰਹਿਤ ਕੋ ਤਜੇ ਤਮਾਕੂ ਸੰਗ || ਮਰਣੀ ਮਰੈ ਤੌ ਅਤਿ ਭਲਾ ਜਗਤ ਜੂਠ ਨਹਿ ਅੰਗ || (ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ)
"Listen to the discipline of a Gursikh who comes in contact with tobacco - it is better to die than to touch the world pollutant drug (tobacco)."
Fabulous BHai Manvir Singh Ji.. have you also got something for caste system? grinning smiley
Caste - Based on Gurbani Rehitnamay:

ਹਮਰੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਪਾਤਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਹਮ ਵੇਚਿਓ ਸਿਰੁ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ||
"The Guru, the True Guru, is my social status and honor; I have sold my head to the Guru." (Ang 731)

ਜਾਤਿ ਬਰਨ ਕੁਲ ਸਹਸਾ ਚੂਕਾ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਬੀਚਾਰੀ ||੧||
"Social class and status, race, ancestry and scepticism are eliminated, following the Guru's Teachings and contemplating the Word of the Shabad. ||1||" (Ang 1198)

ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾ ਕੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਹਮ ਸਾਂਗੀ ||
"God, the Lord and Master, is the caste and social status of His humble Saints. You are the Lord and Master; I am just Your puppet." (Ang 667)

ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜੋਤਿ ਨ ਪੂਛਹੁ ਜਾਤੀ ਆਗੈ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਹੇ ||੧|| ਰਹਾਉ ||
"Recognize the Lord's Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter. ||1||Pause||" (Ang 349)

ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਖਤ੍ਰੀ ਸੂਦ ਵੈਸ ਚਾਰਿ ਵਰਨ ਚਾਰਿ ਆਸ੍ਰਮ ਹਹਿ ਜੋ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵੈ ਸੋ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ||
"There are four castes: Brahmin, Kh'shaatriya, Soodra and Vaishya, and there are four stages of life. One who meditates on the Lord, is the most distinguished and renowned." (Ang 861)

Bhai Sahib Bhai Gurdaas Jee:

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵਰਨੁ ਅਵਰਨ ਹੋਇ ਨਿਵ ਚਲਣਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖਿ ਵਿਸੇਖੈ||
"The special feature of the Sikh of the Guru is that he goes beyond the framework of caste-classification and moves in humility." (Vaar 1: Pauree 25)

Puraatan Rehitnaamay:
ਭੇਖ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਾਹਿ ਮਮ ਵਰਣ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਾਹਿ || ਰਹਿਤ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਮੋਹ ਕੋ ਸਿਦਕ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਆਹਿ ||੪੫||
"I have not love for appearances or for high castes. It is discipline that I love."
(Rehitnama Pyaare Bhai Sahib Singh Jee)
Jo Sikho Ko Poochhay Jaat, So Sikh Nahi Mera Aad Jugaad - The one who asks another Sikh his/her caste can never ever be My Sikh.

Please forgive and correct the grammatical mistakes.

Thanks.
ਹਮ ਇਸਤ੍ਰਿਨ ਤਨ ਨੈਨ ਨ ਲਾਵਹਿ ॥
I dont gaze at the bodies of women.
Sri Dasam Granth, Charitro Pakhyan

ਜਬ ਪਤਿ ਨਹਿ ਹੇਰਤ ਤ੍ਰਿਯ ਜਾਨੈ ॥ ਕਾਮ ਭੋਗ ਤਾ ਸੋ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ ਠਾਨੈ ॥ ਭਾਂਗ ਅਫੀਮ ਅਧਿਕ ਤਿਹ ਖ੍ਵਾਰੀ ॥ ਚਾਰਿ ਪਹਰ ਰਤਿ ਕਰੀ ਪ੍ਯਾਰੀ ॥੨੮॥
When one has no honor they will enjoy relations with other women. Abusing their bodies with marijuana, opium etc they
spend half the day infatuated by these drugs.
Sri Dasam Granth, Charitro Pakhyan

If you are looking for more sources for your presentation I suggest
you read BHai Daya Singh, BHai Chaupa SIngh ( tankhiya section), and
Bhai Desa SIngh Jis rehatnamey. If you dont have access to these
rehatnamey refer to the following link.

[www.scribd.com]

Also, I recommend you read the the leaflet about Bajjar Kurehtis published by
the AKJ magazine ( Soora parivar) . Sorry I currently dont have access to this
rehatnama. I cant remember the name of the leaflet, butI remember it has well over 50 sources.

This is by far the best resource in explaining Bajjar Kurehits.
The good thing about this leaflet is it also includes
counter arguments which source puratan sources like GUrbilas to violate basic Gurmat Maryada, but then
the Singhs use more authentic sources like Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji , Sri Dasam Granth to refute these questionable sources. This is a great method when giving a presentation. Last week some SInghs came by to the local GUrdwara to do a presentation
on SIkhi which included Bajjar Kurehits, and many people at the end asked why many Sikhs say its
ok to eat meat. If we present both sides then the people will see for themselves what is more akin to
GUrmat.

Also, during presentation one common mistake people make is saying kes beabi meaning " cutting kes". This is inaccurate.
Kes beadbi aka Hajamat does not simply refer to shaving or removing kes; instead Kes beadbi refers to not respecting
your kes. Keeping kes is only one way of showing satkar to kes. There is a long maryada which can be found in
Bhai Randhir SIngh Jis writings ( sankesh ishnaan section) , BHai Daya Singh, BHai Chaupa SIngh ( tankhiya section), and
Bhai Desa SIngh Jis rehatnamey. Bhai Desa SIngh Ji says if we dont follow Kes Maryada then Kes becomes maleen ( dirty) and
thus this is kes beadbi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login