ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਕਾਲਿਕਾ or ਕਾਲਿ ਕਾ

Posted by rsingh 
While on the discussion on the topic of Kaal. I remember In the following Dasam Granth Tukh:

ਮਹਾਕਾਲਕਾਲਿਕਾਅਰਾਧੀ॥ (ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਨਾਟਕ ਅਧਿਆ 6)

Someone once told me that the correct Padshed for this tukh should be:

ਮਹਾਕਾਲ ਕਾਲਿ ਕਾ ਅਰਾਧੀ॥ which would mean that Guru Jee did aradhna of Kaal of Mahakal

Most of the Panth does Padshed of this tukh as: ਮਹਾਕਾਲ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਅਰਾਧੀ॥

So is it ਕਾਲਿਕਾ or ਕਾਲਿ ਕਾ?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
The title ( name) is ਮਹਾਕਾਲ-ਕਾਲਿਕਾ and its pronounced as Maha Kaal -Kalika, and the meaning is AKal Purakh( WaaheGuru )
If it is ਮਹਾਕਾਲ ਕਾਲਿ ਕਾ then the meaning of Kaal would be similar to Kaal in the following Tukh from Akal Ustat:

ਗਿਆਨ ਹੂੰ ਕੇ ਗਿਆਤਾ ਮਹਾਂ ਬੁਧਿਤਾ ਕੇ ਦਾਤਾ ਦੇਵ ਕਾਲ ਹੂੰ ਕੇ ਕਾਲ ਮਹਾ ਕਾਲ ਹੂੰ ਕੇ ਕਾਲ ਹੈਂ ॥੧॥੨੫੩॥
गिआन हूं के गिआता महां बुधिता के दाता देव काल हूं के काल महा काल हूं के काल हैं ॥१॥२५३॥
He is the knower of the knowledge, the giver-god of he supreme intellect; He is the death of death and also the death of the supreme death (Maha Kal).1.253.
Bhai sahib rsingh ji

There are two words, ਕਾਲ and ਕਾ. These two lines are very nicely explained by Baba Nihal singh ji
in his discussion with kala afghana in the following video. Please see from minute 19.53 onwards.

[www.youtube.com]
Inder singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bhai sahib rsingh ji
>
> There are two words, ਕਾਲ and ਕਾ. These
> two lines are very nicely explained by Baba Nihal
> singh ji
> in his discussion with kala afghana in the
> following video. Please see from minute 19.53
> onwards.
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> =related

Thanks for the video link. According to Baba Nihal Singh Jee, the correct Padshed is ਕਾਲਿ ਕਾ.
ਇਸ ਵੀਡੀਓ ਵਿਚ ਇਕ ਹੋਰ ਗਲ ਨੋਟ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੀ ਹੈ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਿਹਾਲ ਸਿੰਘ ਕਹੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਕੀ ਜਿਥੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ @ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਮਰ ਮਨਾਈ ਕਾਲਕਾ ਖੰਡੇ ਕੀ ਵੇਲਾ !!@ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੀ ਜਗ੍ਹਾ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਹੈ
@ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਮਰ ਮਨਾਇਓ ਕਾਲ ਕੋ ਖੰਡੇ ਕੀ ਵੇਲਾ !!@ਇਹ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਹੈ !
ਭੁਲ ਚੂਕ ਮੁਆਫ਼ ਜੀ
I dont think Kaal or Kalka has single meaning in Gurbani in different places it can take a different meaning.
For example, in "Uggardanti" kalka refers to Sri Sahib in" Chandi Di Vaar" kalka to Durgashah who was empowered
by Akal Purakh.
i agree with Sukhdeep Singh jee.
ns44 Wrote:
> i agree with Sukhdeep Singh jee.

on which point?
I dont think Kaal or Kalka has single meaning in Gurbani in different places it can take a different meaning.
Sukhdeep Singh Wrote:
> I dont think Kaal or Kalka has single meaning in
> Gurbani in different places it can take a
> different meaning.
> For example, in "Uggardanti" kalka refers to Sri
> Sahib in" Chandi Di Vaar" kalka to Durgashah who
> was empowered
> by Akal Purakh.
========================================================================================

Bhai sukhdeep singh ji

You are right. For example Kal has multiple meanings in Sri Dasam Granth sahib.It has been used for waheguru and also for Time, yama and death.

Similarly Kalka has been used as Waheguru ji. In chandi di vaar, Durga has been described as creation of waheguru ji and not absolute God as Hindus perceive her. At one stage of war she is hard pressed by rakhashas.At that time she asks help from Waheguru ji.

ਚੰਡਿ ਚਿਤਾਰੀ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਮਨਿ ਬਾਹਲਾ ਰੋਹ ਬਢਾਇ ਕੈ ॥
चंडि चितारी कालिका मनि बाहला रोह बढाइ कै ॥
Chandi meditated on timeless Lord( Here kalka is ref. for Lord), but had only wrath in her mind.

ਨਿਕਲੀ ਮੱਥਾ ਫੋੜਿ ਕੈ ਜਣੁ ਫਤਹਿ ਨੀਸਾਣ ਬਜਾਇ ਕੈ ॥
निकली म्था फोड़ि कै जणु फतहि नीसाण बजाइ कै ॥
She came out shattering the forehead of Chandi, sounding the trumpet and flying flag of victory.

Chandi di Vaar, dasam Granth sahib

In the same way Chandi is used at few places for Durga and also for sri sahib.

ਧੂਹਿ ਲਈ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਣੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਮਿਆਨ ਤੇ ॥
धूहि लई क्रिपाणी दुरगा मिआन ते ॥
Durga pulled her sword from the scabbard.

ਚੰਡੀ ਰਾਕਸਿ ਖਾਣੀ ਵਾਹੀ ਦੈਤ ਨੂੰ ॥
चंडी राकसि खाणी वाही दैत नूं ॥
She struck the demon with that Chandi, the devourer of demons (that is the sword).

And further Guru sahib writes

ਰਣ ਵਿਚ ਘੱਤੀ ਘਾਣੀ ਲੋਹੂ ਮਿਝ ਦੀ ॥
रण विच घ्ती घाणी लोहू मिझ दी ॥
The press of blood and marrow has been set in motion in the battlefield.

ਚਾਰੇ ਜੁਗ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਚਲਗਿ ਤੇਗ ਦੀ ॥
चारे जुग कहाणी चलगि तेग दी ॥
The story of the sword will be related in all the four ages

Chandi di Vaar, Sri Dasam Granth sahib

So meanings of such bahuvachak words should be interpreted with respect to context of use.
Sukhdeep Singh Jee, Inder Singh Jee, NS44 Jee have all made a note worthy point. Meaning of the same name is different in many places. The Dasam Granth is a very vast subject and often misunderstood for this very reason. More study on the subject of Sri Dasam Granth is needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login