ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kal is a functional name of Akal Purakh

Posted by Inder singh 
There is a misconception with some that it is wrong to write Akal Purakh as Kal.They go to the extent
of faulting Guru Gobind singh 's writing in Dasam Granth Sahib with their limited understanding. Guru sahib's
sermon is finite and should not be fathomed by our limited intellect.

It is worth here to mention that Akal Purakh is one of the specifications of Waheguru whereas Kal is functional
name of waheguru ji. Guru sahib has used this word at many places for waheguru in Dasam Granth sahib.

Guru sahib writes in Jaap sahib beginning

ਤ੍ਵ ਸਰਬ ਨਾਮ ਕਥੈ ਕਵਨ ਕਰਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਰਣਤ ਸੁਮਤਿ ॥੧॥
त्व सरब नाम कथै कवन करम नाम बरणत सुमति ॥१॥
All Thy Names cannot be told. That is why wise ones have called you by action -name 1.

Jaap sahib

It is God who creates and it is he who also destroys. Guru sahib writes in Jaap sahib

ਨਮੋ ਸਰਬ ਕਾਲੇ ॥ ਨਮੋ ਸਰਬ ਦਿਆਲੇ ॥
नमो सरब काले ॥ नमो सरब दिआले ॥
Salutation to Thee O All-destroyer Lord! Salutation to Thee O Entirely Generous Lord!

In jaap sahib below there is kal as God and also Kal is for death in the same line

ਨਮੋ ਕਾਲ ਕਾਲੇ ॥ ਨਮਸਤਸਤੁ ਦਿਆਲੇ ॥
नमो काल काले ॥ नमसतसतु दिआले ॥
Salutation to Thee O Death-destroyer Lord! Salutation to Thee O Beneficent Lord!

Jaap sahib

In bacchitra Natak God has been referred as Kal. There is no mistake anywhere.
Guru sahib writes

ਕਾਲ ਹੀ ਪਾਇ ਭਯੋ ਭਗਵਾਨ ਸੁ ਜਾਗਤ ਯਾ ਜਗ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਕਲਾ ਹੈ ॥
काल ही पाइ भयो भगवान सु जागत या जग जा की कला है ॥
At the instance of KAL, Vishnu appeared, whose power is manifested through the world.

ਕਾਲ ਹੀ ਪਾਇ ਭਯੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਸਿਵ ਕਾਲ ਹੀ ਪਾਇ ਭਯੋ ਜੁਗੀਆ ਹੈ ॥
काल ही पाइ भयो ब्रहमा सिव काल ही पाइ भयो जुगीआ है ॥
At the instance of KAL, Brahma appeared and also at the instance of KAL the Yogi Shiva appeared.

ਕਾਲ ਹੀ ਪਾਇ ਸੁਰਾਸੁਰ ਗੰਧ੍ਰਬ ਜੱਛ ਭੁਜੰਗ ਦਿਸਾ ਬਿਦਿਸਾ ਹੈ ॥
काल ही पाइ सुरासुर गंध्रब ज्छ भुजंग दिसा बिदिसा है ॥
At the instance of KAL, the gods, demons, Gandharvas, Yakshas, Bhujang, directions and indications have appeared.

ਔਰ ਸੁਕਾਲ ਸਭੈ ਬਸ ਕਾਲ ਕੇ ਏਕ ਹੀ ਕਾਲ ਅਕਾਲ ਸਦਾ ਹੈ ॥੮੪॥
और सुकाल सभै बस काल के एक ही काल अकाल सदा है ॥८४॥
All the other prevalent object are within KAL, only One supreme KAL is ever Timeless and eternal.84.

Bachitra natak

In the same way in many other compositions of Dasam Granth sahib especially Chaubis avtar, shashtra Nam mala God has been addressed
as Kal too.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
excellent topic. Also in the start of Akal Ustat the famous starting tukhs:

ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੀ ਰਛਾ ਹਮਨੈ ॥
अकाल पुरख की रछा हमनै ॥
The non-temporal Purusha (All-Pervading Lord) is my Protector.

ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਕੀ ਰਛਿਆ ਹਮਨੈ ॥
सरब लोह की रछिआ हमनै ॥
The All-Steel Lord is my Protector.

ਸਰਬ ਕਾਲ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਰਛਿਆ ਹਮਨੈ ॥
सरब काल जी दी रछिआ हमनै ॥
The All-Destroying Lord is my Protector.

ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਸਦਾ ਰਛਿਆ ਹਮਨੈ ॥
सरब लोह जी दी सदा रछिआ हमनै ॥
The All-Steel Lord is ever my Protector.
The word "finite" in my earlier post should read as "infinite". The corrected line is:

Guru sahib's sermon is infinite and should not be fathomed by our limited intellect.
Jaspreet Singh
Such is the case with Dasam Granth. I believe writers may have made mistakes while writing the Dasam Granth throughout history. Because the word kaal means death, hence Waheguru ji is referred to as Akaal, meaning Death free. Many then like to quote 'Siri Kaal Ji Ki Ustat'. But this too is a typo.

Jaspreet SIngh Jeeo, I have a humble request . Would you please use the suffix Sri when referring to Sri Guru Gobind SIngh Jis bani. Thanks

On the topic of "Kaal", words like Kaal, Kalka, Maha Kaal all refer to Akal Purakh ( WaaheGuru).

For example, everyday in Kabiyo Bach Benti we recite verses
ਕਾਲ ਪਾਇ ਸ਼ਿਵਜੂ ਅਵਤਰਾ

Kaal in these verses does not mean death instead they mean Maha Kaal ( AKal Purakh).

Panthic Scholar Bhai Joginder SIngh Ji Talwara has given the meaning Kaal as Maha Kaal ( WaaheGuru), and states
Brhama, VIshnu, Shiva, and all life are in the confines of time ( death)
ਮਹਾ ਕਾਲ (ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ) ਦੇ ਜਗਤ-ਤਮਾਸ਼ੇ ਵਿਚ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ, ਵਿਸ਼ਨੂੰ, ਮਹੇਸ਼ ਸਣੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਜੀਵ-ਜੰਤੂ ਕਾਲ-ਵੱਸ ਹਨ।
Bhai Joginder SIngh Ji

Also in Bachitar Natak we recite

ਮਹਾਕਾਲ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਅਰਾਧੀ॥ (ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਨਾਟਕ ਅਧਿਆ 6)

In his wonderful book "HUm Nahee Hindu", Bhai Kahn SIngh Ji states Kalka refers to Akal Purakh and not any devi.
ਇਸ ਥਾਂ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਪਦ ਦਾ ਅਰਥ ਅਕਾਲ ਤੋਂ ਭਿਨ ਕੋਈ ਦੇਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ।
BHai Kahn SIngh JI

In his wonderful book "HUm Nahee Hindu", Bhai Kahn SIngh Ji states Kalka refers to Akal Purakh and not any devi.
ਇਸ ਥਾਂ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਪਦ ਦਾ ਅਰਥ ਅਕਾਲ ਤੋਂ ਭਿਨ ਕੋਈ ਦੇਵੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ।
BHai Kahn SIngh JI

This morning I was in a rush to go to the GUrdwara so I wrote the title of BHai Sahibs book incorrectly. The proper title is
Hum Hindu Nahee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login