ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is Gian?

Posted by rsingh 
What is Gian?
July 29, 2011 05:52AM
What is Gian in accordance to Gurmat? is it just mere knowledge or is it a spiritual state? are there any Gurbani Tukhs that talk of Gian?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: What is Gian?
August 01, 2011 08:18AM
Vaheguru???
August 01, 2011 11:11AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

You just answered your own question with your exasperated response.

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਗੁਆਰੇਰੀ ॥ ਰੈਣਿ ਦਿਨਸੁ ਰਹੈ ਇਕ ਰੰਗਾ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਉ ਜਾਣੈ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਸੰਗਾ ॥ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਨਾਮੁ ਕੀਓ ਉਨਿ ਵਰਤਨਿ ॥ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਅਘਾਵਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਦਰਸਨਿ ॥੧॥ ...ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਕਵਨ ਵਖਾਨਉ ॥ ਅਗਾਧਿ ਬੋਧਿ ਕਿਛੁ ਮਿਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਨਉ ॥ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਮੋਹਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕੀਜੈ ॥ ਧੂਰਿ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੀਜੈ ॥੪॥੧੭॥੮੬॥

Night and day, they remain in the Love of the One. They know that God is always with them. They make the Name of their Lord and Master their way of life. Imbued with the Love of the Lord, their minds and bodies are rejuvenated. ||1||Pause||...How can I describe the Glories of the Saints? Their knowledge is unfathomable; their limits cannot be known.
O Supreme Lord God, please shower Your Mercy upon me. Bless Nanak with the dust of the feet of the Saints. ||4||17||86||
(181).

Or more directly:

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਤਤੁ ਬੁਧਿ ॥
In the remembrance of God are knowledge, meditation and the essence of wisdom. (262).

Akaal Purakh is the Everything, and one who becomes one with the One, through Simran, possess THE Knowledge. He/she attains Gian and becomes Brahm-Gyani. Such is the focus of Gurbani, which time and time again, over and over, Shabad after Shabad says that Naam is THE ONLY thing that the mind should be attached to. Otherwise:

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੧ ॥

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਗਡੀ ਲਦੀਅਹਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਭਰੀਅਹਿ ਸਾਥ ॥ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਬੇੜੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਗਡੀਅਹਿ ਖਾਤ ॥ ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਬਰਸ ਬਰਸ ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਮਾਸ ॥ ਪੜੀਐ ਜੇਤੀ ਆਰਜਾ ਪੜੀਅਹਿ ਜੇਤੇ ਸਾਸ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਲੇਖੈ ਇਕ ਗਲ ਹੋਰੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਝਖਣਾ ਝਾਖ ॥੧॥ Shalok, First Mehl:

You may read and read loads of books; you may read and study vast multitudes of books. You may read and read boat-loads of books; you may read and read and fill pits with them. You may read them year after year; you may read them as many months are there are. You may read them all your life; you may read them with every breath. O Nanak, only one thing (Naam) is of any account: everything else is useless babbling and idle talk in ego. ||1|| (467).

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
August 01, 2011 04:01PM
The reason I ask is because whenever I ask Kala Afghanis, who is your Guru, they reply by saying my "Gian Guru" is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee. But for them, Gian is mere worldly knowledge. What I wanted to know is what is "Gian" according to Gurbani and Gurmat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login