ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Amritvela is whenever you make it"

Posted by sk 
Many individuals argue that amritvela is not one particular time of day, that it is whatver vela when you remember Vaheguru. What are the arguments to disprove this? Hopefully by lovingly and logically showing them that this viewpoint is wrong, such ignorance can be dispelled.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Je Ke Fateh

You don't need arguments to disprove anything dear SK jeeo- instead encourage them to do it for some time see how they feel in comparsion to how they felt before. Sikhi is about doing - not daleel at all, consistent bickering over the same old over and over.
It would certainly be best if those individuals were to make the effort to try it for themselves, but even those who try it once in a while remain unconvinced that there is any special time for amritvela. Often they will say that the time before sunrise is good for doing simran simply because it is peaceful. They don't realise the absolute significance of these hours, the importance of getting as much laaha as possible from these hours.

That is why I would truly very much appreciate if Gursikhs on this forum would share their veechaars on this subject.
Amritvela refers to the dawn, that time of the day when it is not exactly night, and yet not exactly morning. It is the time before sunrise. As it is clearly written in Siri Gurbaani:

ਝਾਲਾਘੇ ਉਠਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਨਿਸਿ ਬਾਸੁਰ ਆਰਾਧਿ ॥
Rise early in the morning, and chant the Naam; worship and adore the Lord, night and day.
The term 'ਝਾਲਾਂਘੇ' here means early morning, or what is also known as 'ਪਿੱਛਲ ਰਾਤਿ' in Siri Gurbaani, as it is stated Sheikh Fareed Ji's Baani:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਪਿਛਲ ਰਾਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਗਿਓਹਿ ਜੀਵਦੜੋ ਮੁਇਓਹਿ ॥
Fareed, if you do not awaken in the early hours before dawn, you are dead while yet alive.

The reason this time of the day is known as "AmritVelaa", is because this is when the Amrit Varkhaa of Naam showers on unto you, as you Japp Naam, during these crucial hours, of course we should continue through the day, but it is this time of the day that is most necessary, as it is clearly stated in Gurbaani:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰਾਤਿ ਕਥੂਰੀ ਵੰਡੀਐ ਸੁਤਿਆ ਮਿਲੈ ਨ ਭਾਉ ॥
Fareed, musk is released at night. Those who are sleeping do not receive their share.
ਜਿੰਨ੍‍ਾ ਨੈਣ ਨੀਂਦ੍ਰਾਵਲੇ ਤਿੰਨ੍‍ਾ ਮਿਲਣੁ ਕੁਆਉ ॥੮੦॥
Those whose eyes are heavy with sleep - how can they receive it? ||80||
But is it not only 'Amrit-vela' if one uses it to do abhyhaas, simran, recite gurbani etc? I don't see how it can be called amritvela if you get up at that time and watch tv or play computer games for example..

Vaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsa!
Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!
Bohuth dhanwaad Jaspreet Singh jee, these are exactly the kind of references I am looking for.

Please do add more.
Jujar Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But is it not only 'Amrit-vela' if one uses it to
> do abhyhaas, simran, recite gurbani etc? I don't
> see how it can be called amritvela if you get up
> at that time and watch tv or play computer games
> for example..

From my understanding the showers of amrit are always there during this vela but only few peoplr will take advantage and drink in as much as they can
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Bhenji, please clarify the question. Are the individuals arguing that a Sikh does not have to wake up early in the morning (Amrit Vela)?

OR

Are they arguing whether the early morning is Amrit Vela (so they agree that a Sikh should wake up early in the moning, but are saying that early morning isn't the only time that can be called Amrit Vela)?
Practically speaking, those early morning hours have no or least chances of disturbances, which are there during day hours. The weather, the body, the environment, everything is fresh and conducive for Amrit Vela activity. All 24 hrs are good for Naam activity, but Naam activity itself requires conducive surroundings. So those hours are certainly better than other hours of the day. Those who are crazy for AMRIT can not afford to sleep during the most suitable VELA for this blessing.

As the Sun rises, a lot hidden appears and causes disturbance.
ਅਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਇਸ ਲੈ ਬਹੁਤ ਜਰੂਰੀ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿਓਂ ਕੀ ਇਸ ਸਮੇ ਨਾ ਦਿਨ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਨਾ ਹੀ ਰਾਤ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ ਬਲ ਕ ਇਸ ਸਮੇ ਦਿਨ ਤੇ ਰਾਤ ਦਾ ਮੇਲ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਠੀਕ ਇਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾ ਆਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਮੇਲ ਲਈ ਇਹ ਸਮਾਂ ਸਭ ਤੋ ਉਤਮ ਹੈ . ਇਹ ਸਮਾਂ 24 ਘੰਟੇ ਵਿਚ ਦੋ ਵਾਰ ਆਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਸਮੇ ਦੀ ਮਹਾਨਤਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਹੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਸਾੰਨੂ ਦੋਨੋ ਵਕਤ ਨਿਤਨੇਮ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਦਿਤੇ ਹਨ . ਸਵੇਰ ਵੇਲਾ 5 ਬਾਣੀਆ ਅਤੇ ਸ਼ਾਮ ਵੇਲੇ ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਸਾਹਿਬ ...ਅਤੇ ਇਥੇ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਖੇਲ ਹੋ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਖੇਲ ਵਿਚ ਏਕ ਪਾਸੇ ਅਸੀਂ ਹ ਤੇ ਦੂਜੇ ਪਾਸੇ 5 ਮਹਾ ਬਾਲੀ ਕਾਮ , ਕਰੋਧ ,ਲੋਭ , ਮੋਹ ,ਹੰਕਾਰ ਹਨ . ਤੇ ਯੁਧ ਸੁਰੂ ਕਰਨ ਤੋ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਜਿਦਾ ਇਕ ਸੇਨਿਕ ਯੁਧ ਲਈ ਤਿਆਰੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਸਾੰਨੂ 5 ਮਹਾਬਾਲਿਆ ਨਾਲ ਮੁਕਾਬਲਾ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ 5 ਬਾਣੀਆ ਦਿਤੀਆ ਨੇ ਫਿਰ ਜੇ ਅਸੀਂ ਦਿਨ ਦੀ ਸੁਰੂਆਤ ਤੋ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਅਸੀਂ 5 ਬਾਣੀਆ ਦੀ ਢਾਲ ਨਹੀ ਬਣਾਵਾਗੇ ਤਾ ਕ ਅਸੀਂ 5 ਮਹਾਬਾਲਿਆ ਦੇ ਵਾਰ ਤੋ ਬਚ ਸਕੀਏ ਫਿਰ ਅਸੀਂ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਬਾਜੀ ਹਾਰ ਸਕਦੇ ਹਾ ..ਫਿਰ ਸਾਰਾ ਦਿਨ 5 ਨਾਲ ਯੁਧ ਕਰਦੇ ਕਮ ਕਾਰ ਕਰਦੇ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਬਹੁਤ ਤਰ੍ਹਾ ਦੀ ਵਿਚਾਰਾ ਦੀ ਮੇਲ ਲਾਗ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਮੇਲ ਨੂ ਧੋਣ ਲਈ ਅਤੇ ਮਨ ਨੂ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਸਾੰਨੂ ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਦਿਤੀ ਹੈ ....ਸੋ ਇਕ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰ ਕ ਸਮਾਧੀ ਲੀਨ ਹੋ ਕ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਵਿਚ ਅਭੇਧ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ .....

----------------------------------
ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ii
WJKK,WJKF.BHAI SAMPOORAN SINGH JIO NOT 5 MAHABALI THEIR WAS SIX NOW A DAY. SIXTH WAS MOBILE( CELLULER PHONE) HAHAHA. bhag heen bhram chotan khave
WJKK,WJKF,BHAI SAMPOORAN SINGH JIO THE SPELLING OF GURBANI TUKK WAS NOT RIGHT PLEASE TAKE GREAT CARE FOR IT. bhul chuk muaf ji. bhag heen bhram chotan khave
bhag (not)heen ji ... I am learning to type in Punjabi on computer ...I know I did mistake but some time i don't find the right key to correct spelling. gustakhi lai maffi ...next time I will try to do best....

----------------------------------
ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ii
ms514 Wrote:
> VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH
>
> Bhenji, please clarify the question. Are the
> individuals arguing that a Sikh does not have to
> wake up early in the morning (Amrit Vela)?
>
> OR
>
> Are they arguing whether the early morning is
> Amrit Vela (so they agree that a Sikh should wake
> up early in the moning, but are saying that early
> morning isn't the only time that can be called
> Amrit Vela)?

Vaheguroo jee, I guess they are technically arguing both. They are mostly arguing the second, in order to justify the dhill of not waking up for amritvela, or not waking up *too* early. Ultimately they are saying it is not essential to wake up before sunrise as long as one remembers Vaheguru throughout the day.

MB Singh Wrote:
> Practically speaking, those early morning hours
> have no or least chances of disturbances, which
> are there during day hours. The weather, the body,
> the environment, everything is fresh and conducive
> for Amrit Vela activity. All 24 hrs are good for
> Naam activity, but Naam activity itself requires
> conducive surroundings. So those hours are
> certainly better than other hours of the day.
> Those who are crazy for AMRIT can not afford to
> sleep during the most suitable VELA for this
> blessing.
>
> As the Sun rises, a lot hidden appears and causes
> disturbance.

It is certainly true that practically speaking, these hours are best do to the atmosphere during this time. Guru Sahib not only fills these hours with extra showers of amrit, but He also fills these hours with calmness and sereness in order to give his blessed bhagat jan the best environment to enjoy this amrit ras. Master Niranjan Singh has said that after 4am, aam duniya begins to wake up. After this time, the calmness begins to depart and one cannot concentrate as well.

Thank you for the write-up Sampooran Singh veerjee. It has reminded me how important it is to take full advantage of both the morning and evening hours for nitnem in order to clean our minds and keep us alert so that we can keep our bhagti going. I personally usually have little concentration when I am doing my nitnem baanian, which explains why I cannot keep myself in the proper avastha and state of mind for bhagti during the day. It is very important to do these kaaraj properly in order to prepare ourselves even for the next morning's amritvela. .

Are there any other gurbani panktis/rehitnamey/vaaran which prove that amritvela is at a specific time?

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥
ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru the True Guru shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name. Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar. Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name. One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind. (Guru Sahib Guru Granth Sahib Ji 305).

ਪਿਛਲ ਰਾਤੀ ਜਾਗਣਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਦਿੜਾਏ।
The Sikh awakes in the pre-dawn hour and meditating upon Nan, he becomes alert for ablution and charity. (Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji, Vaar 28, Pauri 15).

Link this to the below:

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਉਠਿ ਕੈ ਜਾਇ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਦਰੀਆਇ ਨ੍ਹਵੰਦੇ।
Getting up at the ambrosial hour of morning the Sikhs bathe in the river. (Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji, Vaar 6, Pauri 3).

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਉਠਿ ਜਾਗਿ ਜਗਾਇਆ।
The Guru-orientated gets up early in the morning and makes others also to do so. (Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji, Vaar 20, Pauri 5).

...and the verse that directly links Amrit Vela to early morning is:

ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠ ਕਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਸਰੁ ਨ੍ਹਾਵੰਦਾ।
The gurmukh getting up in arobrosial hours of the early morning takes bath in the sacred tank. (Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji, Vaar 40, Pauri 11).
Thank you ms514 jee, wonderful references.

The problem is, many will still argue that "amrit vela" is not a specified time. Is there anything from which we can learn what time amrit vela is? What is "ਭਲਕੇ"?

Hence the last verse, which specifies "ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠ ਕਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ" - bhalkae, from what I can gather is the earliest part of the new day. It contains the word ਭਲਕੇ (earliest part of the day) and ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ together and makes them the same:

[www.srigranth.org]

It looks to be a synonym of Amrit Vela per the definitions available.

After presenting the all of above, if the person(s) still argues about Amrit Vela, I wouldn't bother too much about discussing with them further, as they are being stubborn despite the insurmountable amount of evidence that states that Amrit Vela is early morning.
Guru ji says

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਖੂਹਟਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਭਰਿਆ ਸਬਦੇ ਕਾਢਿ ਪੀਐ ਪਨਿਹਾਰੀ ॥
Deep within, the well of the heart is overflowing with the Lord's Ambrosial Nectar; the water-carrier draws and drinks in the water of the Shabad.

So What I beleive is Amritvela is when you drinks Naam roopi Amrit from inside while reciting Gurbani or Japping Naam. Those who reached at this avastha where one starts enjoying this Amrit from inside, for those Gurmukhs Amritvela is 24/7. But even after obtaining this avastha Gurmukhs does not miss waking up early in morning because they know the real importance of Amritvela. Through waking up early in morning one can obtain this avastha, but those who has not reahced at this avastha yet, for them Amritvela is must which starts around 1am. If one wants to improve in spirituality then one must have to give pehra on Amritvela. It has to be regular without any breaks. There are like soooo many parmaans about the importance of Amritvela in Gurbani. In the shabad below Guru Maharaj clearly telling us the importance of waking up early in the morning.

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ 2 ॥

ਅਠੀ ਪਹਰੀ ਅਠ ਖੰਡ ਨਾਵਾ ਖੰਡੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ॥
Twenty-four hours a day, destroy the eight things, and in the ninth place, conquer the body.

ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਏਕੁ ਭਾਲਹਿ ਗੁਣੀ ਗਹੀਰੁ ॥
Within the body are the nine treasures of the Name of the Lord-seek the depths of these virtues.

ਕਰਮਵੰਤੀ ਸਾਲਾਹਿਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੀਰੁ ॥
Those blessed with the karma of good actions praise the Lord. O Nanak, they make the Guru their spiritual teacher.

ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰਿ ਸਬਾਹ ਕੈ ਸੁਰਤਿਆ ਉਪਜੈ ਚਾਉ ॥
In the fourth watch of the early morning hours, a longing arises in their higher consciousness.

ਤਿਨਾ ਦਰੀਆਵਾ ਸਿਉ ਦੋਸਤੀ ਮਨਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਸਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥
They are attuned to the river of life; the True Name is in their minds and on their lips

ਓਥੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਵੰਡੀਐ ਕਰਮੀ ਹੋਇ ਪਸਾਉ ॥
The Ambrosial Nectar is distributed, and those with good karma receive this gift.

ਕੰਚਨ ਕਾਇਆ ਕਸੀਐ ਵੰਨੀ ਚੜੈ ਚੜਾਉ ॥
Their bodies become golden, and take on the color of spirituality.

ਜੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਨਦਰਿ ਸਰਾਫ ਕੀ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਪਾਈ ਤਾਉ ॥
If the Jeweller casts His Glance of Grace, they are not placed in the fire again.

ਸਤੀ ਪਹਰੀ ਸਤੁ ਭਲਾ ਬਹੀਐ ਪੜਿਆ ਪਾਸਿ
Throughout the other seven watches of the day, it is good to speak the Truth, and sit with the spiritually wise.

ਓਥੈ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੀਐ ਕੂੜੈ ਘਟੈ ਰਾਸਿ ॥
There, vice and virtue are distinguished, and the capital of falsehood is decreased.

ਓਥੈ ਖੋਟੇ ਸਟੀਅਹਿ ਖਰੇ ਕੀਚਹਿ ਸਾਬਾਸਿ ॥
There, the counterfeit are cast aside, and the genuine are cheered.

ਬੋਲਣੁ ਫਾਦਲੁ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਖਸਮੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥1॥
Speech is vain and useless. O Nanak, pain and pleasure are in the power of our Lord and Master. ||1||

So one has to khanda kharkaa on full vigour early in morning to enjoy that amrit... for more info on what this Amrit is? One can read Bhai Sahibs book "Amrit kee hai"

dhanvaad ji. hope this will help and there is no point of getting in argue about this minor things. Waking up early in morning is like hukam for Gursikhs.
These will all help significantly. I don't knowmuch about the different pehars of amritvela but that information would help make a strong case about how specific the timing of amritvela is as mentioned by gurbani. Perhaps someone knowledgable could expand on this.

I do not wish to get into an argument with anyone, only wish to protect my own amritvela by proving how essential this time is for anyone who is serious about sikhi. While we are on this subject, maybe sangat could help me gather evidence on the importance of SANGAT during amritvela, as mentioned by gurbani.

I am truly appreciative of the help.
Es vele duniyaa nach tap rahee hai
Es vele toronto ch amritvele de kuj ik vajay honey ne

4 vajay aj aam duniya ne saun jaunaa aaa.

Is it still amritvela ?

I'm not arguing for the side, whenever you make it. But just think. At least one corner of the world will always be up
Doing their thing.

Then what is amritvela ?

I have not understood the meaning of the term, explain it to me please.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

The way this thread is going - it's really ripping the Amritvela thing to shreds - why not just conclude it - amritvela is 24*7 and secondly one has to get up from deep sleep time which is the first phear without a doubt.
Such propaganda about Amritvela comes from books of kala afghana. He writes that Amritvela has no significance in sikhi as every time is good in sikhi. he also writes that thieves do stealing at amritvela and unpatriotic persons attack Govt. forces at this hour( obviously hint towards Punjab militancy days). This kind of rubbish is furthered by his followers that include missionaries, khalsa panchayat etc.

The truth is these people do not believe in concept of naam simran and ridicule this age old sikh practice.
As Veer Upkaar Singh Ji, wants to know more of it and ns Veer Ji wants to conclude it; I am sorry to put few more lines for Upkkar Singh Ji.

Amrit Wela is a specific time out of the 24 hrs available with a person.
In India, I am not bothered if it is afternoon and Canadians Singhs are having Amritwela at that time. It is their Amrit Wela, not mine.
Thanks Veer jee
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login