ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Standardising (A Panthic Morcha)

Posted by Upkaar Singh 
Vaheguroojeekaakhalsaa
Vaheguroojeekeefathehh

Gurmukh Pyare Mittar Pyareo,

This daas has been thinking this over for a while.

What are the views on this forum, regarding a standardized format for Sahib Shree Guroo Granth Sahib Jee. We're talking about a standardized Ang Format, with the same flow being seen in every saroop, be it handwritten or printed.

The same amount of Gurbanee on each page, so all shabads can be found on the same ang. During a discussion with sajan, who is writing a saroop, daas was informed that not all saroops are standardized.

So when sikhee to the max gives you the ang number for the shabad, when something is searched, which saroop standardization is it referring to exactly.

This matter is not necessarily Gurmat Based, or to start another fire on this thread, but a simple suggestion for something we can do, to sync all future saroops to be in line with each other.

Also, this isn't to say the older unstandardized saroops will not be valued the same, but it's a move one can look forward to for the future saroops.

This forum isn't the end of the topic, but it would be nice to see, other informed persons giving input, it's not an issue usually looked into much.

Vaheguroojeekaakhalsaa
Vaheguroojeekeefathehh

daas,
UPS grinning smiley
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh
Just do it.
When the Gursikhs were writing Saroops in history, they did not take into consideration, this aspect. So, it shows, this is not as important an aspect.

When we try to make rules, we are likely to lose focus on real points.
The ang issue isn't a big one if you reflect on it actually.
At a personal level, I think there is a dire need for the panth to make necessary improvements/corrections in the current saroops .

a few examples...
1. majority of the handwritten puratan saroops I have observed(till 18th century) have the mangal ," ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ " before Mundhavani. This mangal is just not there in current day printed saroops.

2. 1 and only salok of Guru Gobind Singh Sahib in SGGS comes in puratan saroops clearly, with its sirlekh. The same salok's lagamatra & alphabets(current saroops) doesn't match the one which comes in puratan saroops. The word 'Nanak' to seem to have been added to it. (This is purely based on my research on this salok)

3.[gurmatbibek.com] (Gupt1's link leave no doubt about it )

Chota veer
I agree with Chatrik ji. Number of pages is not really an issue. Handwritten saroops all have different number of pages.

Number of pages is minor as compared to correct spellings, laga-matra. In this regard the book 'paath bhed di suchi' number 'BK-000958' is very useful (panjabdigitallibrary website).

I urge somebody to type up the introduction of this book in English as its very interesting and relevant to present condition of printed saroops. Seva carried out by bhai Gian Singh ji, bhai Randhir Singh ji and bhai Kundan Singh ji reasearchers at SGPC is priceless. They went through many puratan saroops that were collected at sri Darbar Sahib. They went through each saroop comparing spellings and suggested correct spellings in their book.

Unfortunately I think many of these saroops were stolen/burnt in 1984 attack. Which makes this book even more valuable.

SGPC need to make a committee to locate Dadmdami bir, carry out full research into current Kartarpuri bir. If we could locate Damdami bir then all of the spellings could be corrected. SGPC was a great institution with scholars such as bhai Randhir Singh, bhai Gian Singh etc who had love for bani. I dont think currently SGPC is doing any research into this. Yet they have greatest resources to carry out this important research.

Maybe sangat from Toronto can prepare a document and send to SGPC urging them to correct spellings. This should be of foremost concern for SGPC but I doubt they will listen.

If only SGPC had Gursikhs like members on this forum as their members!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
5 singhs were deputed by baba gurbachan singh to do teh seva of writing a saroop of guru granth sahib ji with teh proper lagaa matra and proper padd ched for santhya. baba gurbachan singh ji also mentioned that only 1 would be alive to complete the seva. baba jaswant singh ji was the last remaining scholar, and he finished the saroop in his old age after working on it for a very long portion of his life, along with the other scholars.
the visraam pothi can be downloaded from [www.gursevak.com]
singh11, your link directs to a document on how to do ucharan as per Taksal's interpretation which is unrelated to the topic.

Chota veer
i think it would be impossible to make any alterations and then return all current sarroops worldwide and replace them with an updated version. This will just mean that we have further division in the panth with 2 different versions of sri guru granth sahib ji.There will always be people that disagree and continue to read the current version, and others will read the new version. I think its best that we accept what our elders decided and keep guru ji as it is.

vjkk vjkf
Introduction to 'paath bhed di suchi' -
-----
In 1947 after partition partition, many puratan (old) hand-written saroops of Guru Granth Sahib were collected at Sikh refererence library at sri Darbar Sahib. When premi's of Gurbani studied the puratan saroops against the newly printed saroops they noticed differences in the paath. They then brought this to the notice of SGPC which responded by producing a sub-committee consisting of research scholar bhai Randhir Singh, bhai Kundan Singh and bhai Gian Singh.

They were given the task of comparing paath of the puratan saroops and producing a list of the differences they found in each saroop. The researchers selected 60-70 saroops and from these they laboriously went through each saroop comparing paath. From this priceless research they produced a priceless list of ashudis (mistakes) and suggested shudis (correct) spellings.
-----

I don't think the SGPC implemented the corrections suggested by the sub-committee. What makes this pustak even more important is that saroops (used to compare spellings) in this pustak were stolen/burnt during operation bluestar in 1984.

As a panth we can't ignore this problem just because it might create divisions. Surely we want to have a shudh saroop as possible. It is the responsibility of the SGPC to carry out this important seva as soon as possible.

I request a more knowledgable Gursikh to translate the next part of the introduction to this book. The next chapter is entitled 'paath bhed da uthpan kaarn'.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login