School Questions

Posted by Hum Kookar 
School Questions
June 06, 2011 09:36AM
VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsa
VahegurooJeeKeeFateh.

Daas has been asked by a teacher at school
to answer some questions asked by some children
aged 13-14 about amrit and the kirpan issue.
The other issue is the panj kakkar, They are told
in school that Kesh is a kakkar should i mention
keski or should i not to avoid confustion.

Could the sangat please tell me things i should
be carefull off.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsa
VahegurooJeeKeeFateh.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: School Questions
June 06, 2011 11:13AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

The way to dodge the 5th Kakkar question has been to state the 5th Kakkar as a hybrid: aka. Long Unshorn Hair Adorned with a Turban. That statement covers both. It has been adoped by some Sikh organizations to placate both views and works well enough, as Guru Sahib's Rehat requires both for a complete Sikh Saroop without getting into the never-ending debate. Always keep in mind that you are not representing any Sikh Jathebandi or group, but rather the Panth, so the answers should be something that the Panth is representative of.

For the Kirpan, it becomes tough because the very image of the Kirpan becomes equated with aggression and violence in the mind of non-Sikhs ("weapon = crime" mentality). It is not hard to present what the Kirpan means generally - in the U.S., the Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms and freedom of religion, so you just represent it from the "We have the same values as Americans. We practice the right to bear arms to defend ourselves and to protect anyone else from oppression and harassment (Kirpa = Mercy; Aan = dignity/self-respect). It reminds the Sikh that they are duty-bound and ever on call to help others and never bow down to oppression. This is the same ideals that this great nation was built upon, where the pilgrims came to this country to escape religious persecution and the forefathers took up arms (and made it an American right) to defend themselves and their values". Speaking on how Guru Sahib passed his exact image onto the Sikhs and how each Kakkar is a gift from Guru Sahib and treasured as such beyond only its practical purposes would not be incorrect. To talk of how this was the creation of the perfect human being - the saint-solder, would be appropriate. Referencing how the Sikh is in practice given those values that are embodied and sought in fictional characters such as the Jedi Knights or Batman/Superman would relate it to the audience. Tailor accordingly to your country and make copious mention that the Kirpan is for defensive purposes only and it is a violation of the Sikh code of conduct and ethics to ever use the Kirpan in an offensive manner and anyone caught doing so would be subject not only to the law of the land, but also accountable to the Sikh community and the judgement of his/her deeds in the here and/or afterlife.

The issue becomes when the subject of Sikh students wearing the Kirpan comes up. You would explain the same way as above in terms of the Kirpan, but it would be hard to rationalize to non-Sikhs that a Sikh schoolchild would wear a Kirpan to school (reference the Canadian history of Sikh schoolchildren for how controversial the situation is). We know why we wear the Kirpan (above reasons), but to present that from the view of Sikh schoolchildren is always met with an iron wall of safety vs. religious freedom (and safety wins most of the time). You could present the same as the general points as above and just tell them the whole truth and let them sort it out, because we cannot compromise who we are just to please others. Any questions they follow up with, you would answer based on Gurbani/Gurmat and Guru Sahib will guide you through the rest.

Bhai Jasjit Singh may be able to provide further guidance, as he has addressed schools about Sikhism and handled similar questions previously.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
June 06, 2011 03:29PM
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Bhai Jasjit Singh may be able to provide further guidance, as he has addressed schools about Sikhism and handled similar questions previously.

Bhai ms514 jio, it seems like daas is been under constant watch for every move and no easy way to hide out jio cool smiley. Hum Kookar jio Bhai ms514 has given good advice. Do not know what country and state you are living in but regardless Khalsa Rehat is universal and if not directly then indrectly there are always some laws which protect Sikh rights to practice our religion without fear. As far as I know here in New Jersey Sikhs are been getting recognized in some important Government and Educational circles but more work needed to be done to spread the word out.

Kesh vs. keski is never been the issue for any Sikh civil right organization here. It is widely accepted in Sikh world now that Turban (Dastaar) is mandated for a Sikh. This is the sole base that Sikhs could fight for Dastaar cases in France, U.S, Canada other countries. And this is also the sole reason that we are now fighting against discrimination on Airports. This is Satguru Jee’s Bakshish that as long as Sikhs are holding this faith strongly Guru Sahib will give victory in every case Sikhs are fighting anywhere in the world . The day they say it is optional they will loose the Dastaar and then we might face the situation to see bare headed Sikh travelers on airplanes and bare headed Sikh students in schools. So, every Sikh civil right organization understands this very clearly.

As Bhai ms514 mentioned “The way to dodge the 5th Kakkar question has been to state the 5th Kakkar as a hybrid: aka. Long Unshorn Hair Adorned with a Turban. That statement covers both”. Daas personally participated in some meetings and this is a good solution found by some organizations that not to trap in internal debates while explaining about Sikhs in American schools. So, this is not an issue at the moment. The biggest growing challenge is the issue of Kirpaan. Until the name ‘Kirpaan’ is not mentioned directly into law, it will always be a part of suspicion in schools and every other public place. So far in school related cases with grace of Guru Sahib it’s been worked out on mutual understanding bases with school authorities and education boards by having Sikhi presentations. In your specific case I do not know from what angle your teacher is asking to give him/her information on this but I can imagine he/she has concern by seeing Kirpaan as a weapon. You can give him/her some literature on Sikhism as there are plenty of pamphlets available out there. Most of the time people say it is a weapon and it can harm to others in schools then only counter questions are that there are always scissors in classrooms, there are box cutters in school property, day to day bases some construction/repair workers go in and out of school carrying sharp knifes and other sharp tools which are much more harmful than a Kirpaan. Are they all stopped if security is concerned? Answer to this is no. But I would suggest not choosing arguments route best way is to have constructive dialogue with some good textual material. There is alwyas a way to work this out.

Again do not know where you live you can hold a presentation on Sikhs, many questions generally people have in their mind will be diminished with in the presentation it self. Just recently we had presentation to a big group of school teachers and at the end we got remark from a teacher that when she entered the room she assumed that, “you are Muslims or part of it but now after presentation I feel sorry that how wrong I was" and she wished to continue these presentations for other teachers too. We have/had hundreds of comments like that. Now they know exactly what Dastaar is and what Kirpaan is. Once wall of ignorance is broken there will be no existence of fear anymore for both sides. So, explain them as much as possible and if you feel matter is going out of hand feel free to contact daas if you live in NJ/U.S. daas will offer whatever the best seva I could.

By the way if you live in state of New Jersey enjoy following Gurpurab holidays for Keertan Smagams/Gurudwara Programs from school.

With Regards,
Daas

June 06, 2011 03:47PM

Bhai Sahib, that is because I had done a school presentation with you and other local Sikhs a few years ago at the schools (my wife did a few), know you from the same mutual small Gurudwara we used to go to and have visited your house before moving with my wife to the Golden State. You also know my parents, who we took with us when we moved. I'll let you sweat the "Who is that?"

Who could it be...tongue sticking out smiley
June 06, 2011 04:34PM
Waheguru smiling bouncing smiley, what a discovery this thread made to daas, now I recall. Daas wish for the chardikala of your paivaar jio and hope for the best of the move from "GARDEN STATE" to "GOLDEN STATE" at same time Daas feel very unfotunate loosing sangat of a great Gursikh Parivaar. A request though,once you are done with "Golden State" you are most welcome back to "New Jersey GURU KI Garden State" jio.

With Regards,
Daas
June 07, 2011 10:23AM

"Deho Sajan Assirhiyaa Jo Hoavae Sahib Sio Mael". - please do this Ardaas for us that we may enjoy the Gursikhi Jeevan of you and your family. Conversely, the Sangatan would be more than happy to have your presence in the Golden State.

In terms of the topic, it is also very important to weigh how the school is asking the question. If it is related to a Sikh student who is Amritdhari, do consider that there may be implications beyond simple curiousity, as they may be using your answers to base school policy and weigh in on a decision for future students enrolled in the school (an issue in the U.S., as the general policy is not to allow the Kirpan, classifying it as a weapon).

If this is beginning to sound too burdensome, you can contact one of the below organizations that I am aware of to assist you with the communication, as they are all experienced in this scenario.

SALDEF
United Sikhs
Sikh Coalition
June 08, 2011 10:52AM
VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsa
VahegurooJeeKeeFateh.

Thank you very much with maharaj
jees kirpa the talk went well.!

Bhul chuk di maafi

VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsa
VahegurooJeeKeeFateh.

smiling smiley
June 08, 2011 05:06PM

Excellent to hear.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login