ਸੰਤਹੁਸਾਗਰੁਪਾਰਿਉਤਰੀਐ॥
ਜੇਕੋਬਚਨੁਕਮਾਵੈਸੰਤਨਕਾਸੋਗੁਰਪਰਸਾਦੀਤਰੀਐ॥1॥ਰਹਾਉ॥
ਕੋਟਿਤੀਰਥਮਜਨਇਸਨਾਨਾਇਸੁਕਲਿਮਹਿਮੈਲੁਭਰੀਜੈ॥
ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿਜੋਹਰਿਗੁਣਗਾਵੈਸੋਨਿਰਮਲੁਕਰਿਲੀਜੈ॥2॥
ਬੇਦਕਤੇਬਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿਸਭਿਸਾਸਤਇਨ੍‍ਪੜਿਆਮੁਕਤਿਨਹੋਈ॥
ਏਕੁਅਖਰੁਜੋਗੁਰਮੁਖਿਜਾਪੈਤਿਸਕੀਨਿਰਮਲਸੋਈ॥3॥
ਖਤ੍ਰੀਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣਸੂਦਵੈਸਉਪਦੇਸੁਚਹੁਵਰਨਾਕਉਸਾਝਾ॥
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿਨਾਮੁਜਪੈਉਧਰੈਸੋਕਲਿਮਹਿਘਟਿਘਟਿਨਾਨਕਮਾਝਾ॥4॥3॥50॥

(Somehow the numbers didn't come in Gurmukhi, I apologize)

In the above mentioned Shabad, please refer to the following pankati;

ਜੇਕੋਬਚਨੁਕਮਾਵੈਸੰਤਨਕਾਸੋਗੁਰਪਰਸਾਦੀਤਰੀਐ॥1॥

In this pankati, who is being referred to as the 'Sant' by obeying whose bachan, Guru's showers his Kirpa and the Jeev swims across?

Thanks
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

ਜੇਕੋਬਚਨੁਕਮਾਵੈਸੰਤਨਕਾਸੋਗੁਰਪਰਸਾਦੀਤਰੀਐ॥1॥

In this pankati, who is being referred to as the 'Sant' by obeying whose bachan, Guru's showers his Kirpa and the Jeev swims across?

I know that Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has done Vichaar on this Shabad but I have not been able to locate it as yet.

It seems like the word ਸੰਤਨ, though it is a plural noun, is still being used for Guru Sahib. Mostly, when the word ਸੰਤ is a plural noun, then it represents Gursikhs but sometimes, it also represents Guru Sahib. In Indian culture, out of respect, elders and respectable personalities are referred to as plural and in Gurbani too this rule is used for Vaheguru and Guru Sahib, at many places. Of course, this is not the case all the time.

Gurbani Pankiti says that if someone does Kamaaee (i.e. obeys the Naam roopi Hukam) of Guru Sahib's Naam-roopi-Bachan, then he (or she) swims across (this ocean of world) by the Grace of Guru Sahib (Gurprasadi).

Thanks Tejasv jeeo for asking a Gurbani Vichaar related query. It is simply great to do Gurbani Vichaar.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee,

Thank you for the vichaar on this pankati. The translation was very helpful.

Is there no way, using Gurbani Viakaran, to justify that ਸੰਤਨ is being referred to as Guru Sahib?

I ask this since you have mentioned that in Indian culture, the elders are respectfully referred to as plural. But since this may not always be the case, as you have also mentioned, people might debate it for this pankati also. And say that ਸੰਤਨ is being referred to some other plural sants.

Please post the vichaar done by Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee on this shabad, whenever you are able to locate it.

Thanks.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login