ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taksaal or Takshaal?

Posted by JaspreetSingh 
Taksaal or Takshaal?
June 05, 2011 06:49PM
Vaheguroo jee kaa khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee fatheh

sangat jee, i wanted to ask what is the correct pronounciation of this word: is it taksaal or is it takshaal? While conversing with one gurmukh pyara, i suddenly accidently happened to say 'takshaal' as opposed to the generally accepted term 'taksaal'. I in fact felt better, more confident and more at ease after saying 'takshaal'. Trickles of Amrit seemed to land on my tongue.

According to what I think and believe, the word 'tak' means 'coin'. Just as how in Sanskrit, 'kitchen' referred to as 'pakshaal', school as 'paatthshaal', religious place as 'dharamshaal', similarly the Sanskrit word should be pronounced as 'takshaal', as it would mean 'a place where coins are made'.

Please clear my doubt. Thank you ji!

Daas,
Jaspreet Singh
Vaheguroo jee kaa khalsa Vaheguroo jee kee fatheh jee!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Taksaal or Takshaal?
June 05, 2011 10:51PM
well, from what i now from going on this forum, if ur AKJ then you probably gonna have the tendency to put shasha's almost everywhere in gurbani.

But in the Taksaal the santhya students would and do pronounce Taksaal as Taksaal and not takshaal. Pronouncing Takshaal is more of an akj thing to do, from what i have noticed from the santhya documents on this website there are shasha pronounced almost on everyshabad! sad smiley

no offence but thats just my opinoin...
Bhai,

Please aim to be a little bit more sophisticated and inquisitive instead of judging issues based solely on whether there's a "taksali" position or not. Broaden your horizons.
June 06, 2011 07:56AM
Taksal is made from two words - Taka (coin) and Shaala (house or place) - and it means such factory or workshop where coins are carved or made.

In Gurbani this word has been used about 4 times; couple of the Pankitis are listed below:

ਘੜੀਐ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਚੀ ਟਕਸਾਲ ॥
(The Shabad is carved in the True Taksal (of Guru's Satsangat))

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੇਵਾ ਘਾਲਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਘਾਲੀ ॥
ਤਿਸੁ ਘੜੀਐ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਚੀ ਟਕਸਾਲੀ ॥2॥

(The Shabad is carved in the true Taksal i.e. Satsangat)

The word Taksal has become a everyday Punjabi word and is pronounced as Taksal (Daas does it as Taksal) normally but it is more Shudh to do Uchaaran as Takshal.

Kulbir Singh
June 06, 2011 12:13PM
One more bindi in my nitnem=spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 06, 2011 12:18PM
I love Bindiyaan. smiling smiley))
Thanks for that Bhai Sahib jee! Just another reminder that 'Taksaal' does not mean 'school', as it is generally believed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login