ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Enriching Hobbies to deepen Vismaad

Posted by khalsa1968 
Dear Guru ki sangat

Wahiguru ji ka khalsa
Wahiguru ji ki fateh

Daas has recently taken up two hobbies that have helped considerably in deepening the vismaad for the sargun roop of waheguru and to root the conscience in the present moment, thus assisting in gurbaani khoj.

1. Bird watching in the beautiful English countryside
2. Astronomy.

Bird watching is a great outdoor hobby. It involves plenty of exercise (walking), curiosity and requires patience. Exercise, curiosity in nature and how it works and patience are gurmukh values and daas has found that an appreciation of the miracle of nature deepens the 'Wah' in Waheguru. Besides, Gurbaani contains metaphorical references to birds and The 10th master of course did falconary.

With astronomy, there is a deep and profound feeling of smallness and humility. Looking through a telescope at the cosmos, one is hit by the very notion of 'Karta purkh'. Gurbaani makes endless references to the stellar bodies and so for Sikhs, taking up astronomy is, I think a natural thing to do.

From a practical perspective, I have found that one starts to recite a verse from gurbaani that relates to what one is observing...sab gobind hai, sab gobind hai......

Very few sikhs engage in these activities. Very few Sikhs go into the countryside. Have no fear. Be nirvair and just dive in...it has many benefits.
If you live in the UK, join your local bird watching group-RSPB. Look up your local astronomy group in your town / city and make some enquiries. My experience, despite being the only non-gora at the astronomy club and bird watching group has been really positive and people will go out of their way to help you in whatever way they can. Daas's 12 year old and 9 year old sons also really enjoy these activities and it has opened up many horizons for them as regards Sikh spirituality and deepening their reverence for nature and the sargun roop of Waheguru. Above all, it has made us very thankful to Satguru for having such beauty to enjoy and be raptured by.

WJKKWJKF
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Wahiguru ji ka khalsa
Wahiguru ji ki fateh

Beautiful post and beautiful suggestions, thanks for sharing - I will endeavour the same - nature's laws are in Gurbani and Bhai Gurdas Jee varran- I work in and industry which has i quote " to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" -- i see this every single day and pangtees from Gurbani only make you aware further.
It is so wonderful that Guru Sahib has blessed your family with activities together that increase your gursikhi prem.

I once heard from a Gursikh that all those stars and galaxies that we look up to exist inside of us. Even the callings of the birds of gurbani trill within us, in the constant calling out of our soul. I once thought that gurbani took metaphors from nature and the universe and life and related them to Sikhi. I now know that the opposite is true: all of the world is nothing but a metaphor to gurbani.

I once thought that gurbani took metaphors from nature and the universe and life and related them to Sikhi. I now know that the opposite is true: all of the world is nothing but a metaphor to gurbani.

Bahut Khoob Furmaaya!

Indeed this whole world is there in existence just for Gurbani and Naam. The whole creation has been created for the sake of glory of Bhagat Jan.

Kulbir Singh
Horticulture has an amazing soothing for the soul. After a while it becomes quite addictive.

Though it is not really the done for people of our age, most people are more into football. But once you start you reap the benefits.
Across the street of my house there is a University which has many scenic areas.
There is one area with birds, ducks, and a pond with moving water. Such a scene
always creates humility for Waahegurus beauty. I like to do simran in such areas.

ALso, in California there is a place
called Yosemiti Falls its one of the world wonders and is simply amazing. I dont know
how anyone can visit such a place and say there is not a God.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login