4) Conversations with Gurmukhs
5) Oral traditions

A few weeks ago I remember reading in Bhai Sahibs book " Gurmat Bibek" that it
was an oral tradition not to eat first morsel of food without doing ishnaan
and Naam Jaap during Amrit Vela. This would also mean if one misses Amrit Vela
they wouldnt eat until the next day. I cant remember the page number next
time I come across it I will post it.

I think this is a extremely difficult rehat if
one doesnt have good Amrit Vela, but at the same time its helpful to encourage one
to build a stronger Amrit Vela.There are many references in both Gurbani and historical resources
that state not to eat without daily prayers. For example

1.ਜੋ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ ਖਾਦੇ ਪੈਨਦੇ ਸੇ ਮੁਏ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੇ ਕੋੜ੍ਹੇ ॥ ang 306
Those who eat and dress (means enjoy materials) without serving to Satguru (here serving could means Naam and Bani), they remains in cycle of reincarnation and lives like lepers.
2.ਬਿਨਾ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਜਪੇ , ਜੋ ਜੇਵਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਸੋ ਬਿਸਟਾ ਕਾ ਕਿਰਮ ਹੁਇ ਜਨਮ ਗਵਾਵੈ ਬਾਦ-- Bhai Prahalad Singh Ji rehatnama
One will lose their Sikhi birth and be born as a maggot if they eat without doing their daily prayers.
3.ਪ੍ਰਾਤਾ ਕਾਲ ਗੁਰ ਗੀਤ ਨ ਗਾਵੈ। ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਬਿਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜੋ ਖਾਵੈ।ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਭ੍ਰਮਤਾ ਫਿਰੈ। ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਜਗ ਜਨਮੈ ਮਰੇ।- Bhai Prahalad Singh Ji
He who does not sing Gurbani in the early hours, and eats without reciting Rehras will remain lost in the cycle of birth and death over and over.
4. ਠੰਡੇ ਪਾਣੀ ਜੋ ਨਹਿ ਨ੍ਹਾਵੈ ਬਿਨ ਜਪ ਪੜ੍ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ ਜੁ ਖਾਵੈ || Bhai Nand Lal Ji
Those who do not take their morning bath in cold water and those who eat before their Nitnem are apostates

During Amrit Sanchar when taken birth in the house of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji our first morsel of food ( parshaad)
is only given after we have Amrit-Ishaan and listen to Panj Bania. I think the type of Rehat mentioned by Bhai
RandhirSingh Ji take a strong jeevan to follow. If we are new on the path we should at least start with the rehat
of not eating any meals ( breakfast, lunch, dinner) without doing daily prayers.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
In famous shabad about the daily life of Gursikhs, Sri GUru Raam Das Ji has stated one must do kirtan
after doing Naam Abhyiaas and nitnem ( during or before sun rise)

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

In Gurmat Bibek, Bhai Sahib mentions the meaning of this Gurbani tuk is one should go to the Gurdwara Sahib have darhan of Guru Sahib and sing Kirtan with sweet tongue after Amrit vela ( when sun rises).

ਫੇਰ ਦਿਨ ਚੜ੍ਹੇ (ਸੂਰਜ ਦੇ ਉਦੇ ਹੋਣ ਸਾਰ) “ਗੁਰੂ ਦੁਆਰੇ ਹੋਇ ਕੈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸੰਮਾਲੇਹੁ” ਗੁਰਵਾਕ ਭਾਵ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਦਿਦਾਰੇ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਮਧੁਰ ਸੁਰ ਨਾਲ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਪਾਠ ਕਰੇ।
Gurmat Bibek, Bhai Randhir Singh Ji

By reciting Gurmantar accompanied with Gurbani the tongue becomes sweet and thus its more easier for the mind to merge in inner divine kirtan. A sweet tongue makes the mind stable while a bitter mind makes the mind dance like a monkey. This is why we have give Hukum not to eat any food in the morning untill we have recited and sung Gurbani because our inner tongue then relishes the spritual ras instead of the worldly rass.

ਜਿਭਿਆ ਰਸ ਤਿਆਗੇ ਸਕਲ ਏਕ ਭਜਨ ਕਾਮ, ਸੁਫਲ ਜਨਮ ਤਿਹ ਜਾਨੀਐ ਨਿਸ ਦਿਨ ਸਿਮਰੋ ਨਾਮ
renouncing all the worldly flavors of the tongue his only desire is to Jaap Naam. By reciting his name
day and night lifes purpose becomes fruitful.
-Sri GUru Sobha

What does Guru Sahib say to those of us whom are overindulged in worldy rass of the world and have not yet experienced the spiritual rass?

ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ਤੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਜਮ ਪਾਸਿ ॥

Being stuck in worldly rass do we have any chances of ever leaving Kaljug . What daily actions need to be performed
so we can experience this spiritual rass.

ਕਲਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਪਰਧਾਨਾ ॥
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises are most sublime and exalted.

Hence, Kirtan is a mandatory rehat to increase ones bhagti; kirtan is the highest karam in Kaljug.

Bhai Randhir Singh Ji refers to Kirtan as ਸਿਰ ਕਰਮਨ ਕੇ ਕਰਮਨਾ ਹੈ- Supreme Karam of Karams

In Gurmat Bibek, Bhai Sahib mentions

ਸਿੱਟਾ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਗਾਵਨ ਰੂਪੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ- ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਨਾ ਹੀ ਪੂਰਨ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਗਿਆਨ ਹੈ। ਯਦਿ ' ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਨ ', ਸਿਰ ਕਰਮਨ ਕੇ ਕਰਮਨਾ ਹੈ, ਆਰਥਾਤ, ਮੁਖ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਕਰਮ ਹੈ, ਤਦੇ ਹੀ ਹੁਕਮ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ' ਗਾਓੁ ' ਇਹ ਕੀਰਤਨ। ਯਦਿ ਅਜਿਹਾ ਮੁਕ ਕਰਮ- ਬਿਬੇਕ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਕਰਮ ਦਾ ਬਿਨਾਸ ਤੁਰੀਆ ਪਦ ਵਿਕੇ ਭੀ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਨਹੀਂ।

According to Bhai Sahib kirtan is the complete essence of Gurmat Knowledge. This karam of Kiran does not even end in the highest state turiya pad. Without this karam and the secret knowledge of kirtan its not possible to end births and deaths. In Gurmat Leykh, Bhai Sahib also mentions when the mind is merged in the colors of WaaheGuru and the inner unbroken kirtan begins the mystery of true raag is revealed to some fortunate ones.

ਜਦ ਰੱਬੀ ਰੰਗਾਂ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਈਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਰੰਗਾ ਵਿਚਿ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਅਰੰਭ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਅਜ਼ਗੇਬੇੀ ਰਾਗ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਆ ਸਫੁਰਨ ਹੁਦੇ ਹਨ

Because Bhai Sahib and the jatha constantly practiced kirtan for hours on a daily basis they themselves experience the secrets of Raag from Sach Khand.In the past, I neglected this rehat because I dont even know how to use a vaja and the kirtan sounds extremely terrible when played by an amature. But I have learned that one does not need to be a professional kirtani to do kirtan nor does one need to even have a vaja. The only requirement is one should recite kirtan with sweet tongue meaning with tongues stomach on Naam. The tongue( voice) is most sweetest after reciting Gurbani/Naam. Whether kirtan is vocal or inaudible, the kirtan should be with tongue ( inner) on naam. For Bibekee Singhs, kirtan is the true schooling ( knowledge) of God. A person can read all the books they wish , listen to all the katha recordings they desire, but without engaging in the praises of WaaheGuru on a daily basis man will remain a fool.

ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਚਟਸਾਲ ਹੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਸਿਖਾ ॥
The true taksal ( school) of the True Guru is the SatSangat, where one learns how to sing Gods praises.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login