ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

snaps: NYC Sikh Parade - 2011

Posted by Mehtab Singh 

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Just out of interest - How are Gursikhs treated in New York area?

asking in relation to all the 9/11 stuff?
Jagjit Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just out of interest - How are Gursikhs treated
> in New York area?
>
> asking in relation to all the 9/11 stuff?

I think it depends in the area in any country. For example, in California if you live in a metropolitan city, rich and educated city then there will be no problems, but if you live in an area of hicks then chances are high that one will get harassed. I

A few years back in 2006, I stopped by at a New York airport and I was harassed by many of the authority figures. I also noticed some of the locals were giving dirty looks, but perhaps this is just my experience. I know a SIngh who used to be Granthi at one of the New York Gurdwaras, and lived in New York for a couple of years. I too was curious and asked how the outside sangat treat Singhs, and if there is any racism.He mentioned that in his area there was no problems and the people some to respect the Sikh community since they have heavily contributed to the state of NewYork. However, he did mention there are some areas of New York were people are uneducated and thus ignorantly attack Singhs but overall the New Yorkers do not give Singhs problem on a day to day basis.I was remarkably surprised with his response.

When Mehtab Singh comes out of Samadhi perhaps he can further comment.
Mehtab Singh never went into Samadhi. They didn't let him in and said to go and take a shower first. But besides that, Sikhs are fine in New York I guess. I wouldn't know much as I am 3.5 hours away, lol.
It's not so bad here. Although, just as in any other state, rural areas of NY/NJ will expose those who have no idea what a Sikh is. Majority of people either do know or if they don't know, they won't care to bother.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login