ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

State of todays Gurdwarey?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
For a very long time Ive been thinking about the sad state of current Gurdwara
Sahibs and if such Gurdwara Sahibs should be avoided. There
is a long list of Maryada Beadbi that goes on in most Gurdwara Sahibs.
One recent example is the following
[www.panthic.org]

The writer of this article has literally read my mind especially in the beginning statement.

"For centuries, Gurdwara Sahibs (literally - Gateway to the Guru) have been sanctuaries of divine peace and tranquility, and an abode of purity, humility and selflessness for Sikhs.Yet the embarrassing events occurring at Gurdwara Sahib in western countries are evidence that these Sikh institutions are no longer ‘Gateways to our Guru’, but focal points and hubs for political and financial turf wars between non-religious Panjabi migrants. "

I have noticed the current Gurdwara Sahibs to be managed by two types of groups. The modern people who liberalize maryada as much as possible ( ex chairs and tables) and then the Punjabi Migrants who use the Gurdwara as means to build their political career. In addition, both groups use the Gurdwara Sahib as a cultural club to chit chat and socialize; thus such places become a difficult place to do Bhagti.

Its obvious both groups have forgotten Guru Sahib and his Maryada. Guru Sahib has given us the hukum
ਜਿਥੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਬਿਸਰੇ ਉਥੇ ਨਾ ਜਾਵੈ
Do not go to that place where the Guru is forgotten ( intentionally)

Does this mean we should boycott Gurdwara Sahibs and sangat that dont follow Maryada?

The Siddhas were tired of the "evils" of the world and like jackals they hid in the mountains instead of trying to save the world from evil.
Guru Sahib condemned these cowards for renouncing the world as mentioned in Bhai Gurdas Jis vaars
sidhh shhap bait(h)ae parabathee koun jagathr ko paar outhaaraa||

Are we no different then the siddhas if we stay in our homes and avoid community based Gurdwara
Sahibs? Guru Sahib said he made the path of SInghs ( Lions) which cannot hide.
ਸਿੰਘਨ ਪੰਥ ਕਬ ਲੁਕ ਛਿਪ ਹੋਯੋ, ਸਿੰਘਨ ਪੰਥੂ ਕਬ ਲੁਕੈ ਲੁਕੌਯੋ।
The Panth of Singhs was not born in seclusion nor can the panth of Singhs ever be in seclusion.

A few years back I watched a documentary about a Christian sect which no longer go to Church instead they
have worship sessions in their homes. Sometimes I believe this is the direction the Jatha is going and I wonder
is this a good thing or bad thing? I have a biased opinion because I was at liberal Gurdwara when as a Mona I met a Gurmukh and he changed my life forever. He did not judge me because I was clean shaven as he knew I was raised in a secular family. If this Naam Abhyiaasi Singh did not come to the Gurdwara Sahib and tell me to stop committing kurehits then I have no clue where I would be today. His glowing eyes and kind smile were enough to win me over into Sikhi.

On the other hand many Jatha Singhs in the past would not give me the time of day because I was clean shaven they would not even look at me . Im not saying every person is a Gurmukh that can convert people with their mere glance as only Gurmukhs blessed by Guru Sahib can do such Gurmat-parchar, but if we are practicing Sikhi isnt it our duty to help those that have forgotten or do not know about the path? Ever since I have become strict in Bibek I feel like I have neglected and avoided those people whom are not into Sikhi, and in a way I have become less human for doing so.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sukhdeep Singh jeeo, you have to realize the so-called 'gurudwareys' are really not 'gurudwareys' in the first place. They are just simply a get together centres for Punjabis. First and foremost, no Rehitvaan Charrdikalaa Gursikhs manage them, which is why there is no Parkaash of Guru Sahib, ie Larridhaar. the weekend weddings are just gruesome.I personally feel that Becos of these anti-gurmat activities that go on inthese places, guru sahib has pulled Himself out, meaning no Parkaash of Larridhaar Shiri Guroo Granth Saahib jee Mahaaraaj. Certainly where there is Manmat, Gurmat cannot exist, as GurooSaahib in Gurbaani:
Haumai Naanve Naal Virodh Hai Doye Naa Vasai Ik Thaae ll
therefore, it in fact is a good thing there isn't Parkaash of Guruji in these frontline 'gurudwarey' considering the fact how much manmat occurs at these places. Certainly, such behavior is notacceptable in Guru Sahib ji's Hazooree.
If Singhs boycott all the Gurdwara Sahibs that dont have Lareedar Saroop then how in the
world will the masses learn how to read Gurmukhi in Lareedar. The reason why many Gurdwara
Sahibs dont have lareedar saroop is because sangat dont know how to read, and Sangats illiteracy
does not improve when does Educated Singhs who know how to read Gurmukhi in original format avoid
going to these Modern Day Gurdwara Sahibs. How are Gurdwara Sahibs going to ever reform
if we renounce them?

Guru Sahib has given hukum that educated SInghs should teach non Educated Singhs how
to read Gurmukhi. To me It seems kind of selfish to avoid sangat that are uneducated in Gurmukhi and
rehat. We are suppose to be praupakaree by nature so then why do we try to hide from all the
bad that is going in in the panth/community based-Gurdwarey?
Re: State of todays Gurdwarey?
April 27, 2011 06:16PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Bhai Sukhdeep Singh Jee you ask a valid quesiton - and some real valid points. The AKJ and Taksal in the UK for instance about 20years ago started building their own Gurdwaras due to being able to stand the so called manmat practices going on in the current Gurdwaras as Bhai Jaspreet Singh menitons. The issues are never going to be resolved by running away from them. It's a fact our people are ill educated on parupkaree nature you talk about- hence due to that the sangat that attends all those other Gurdwaras will also never know anything about Gursikhs and it they are parupkaree.

Secondly don't forget if i remember correctly where Bhai Sahib Bhai Jeevan Singh did kirtan in a Gurdwara in Canada in the 70's where the committee were all mona- and didn't take degh - but advised and educated them why -- how's that Gurdwara doing today?? what kind of committee does it have? does it at least ensure marayada of Akal takh when making degh?? It may not lareedaar saroop - but I'm sure certain
the commitee is no longer full of monaa or not?- Bhai Sahib Jee a living example of taking Kirtan everywhere to any where where there is an iota of respect and then transforming those people if possible and surely there were transformations without a doubt. The answer is simple - we have to strive for that parupkaree aspect which requires immense chardi kala , utter humbleness,exemplifing raising the tangible and working from within the community not without-- a goal no doubt to pursue.
April 27, 2011 11:22PM
What I don't understand is what's wrong with today's world. I mean, these people call themselves "Sikhs" and yet they're all set out to corrupt their own religion. That's ridiculous! People of other faiths do all they can to protect and keep their religion, and whatever their traditions may be. Whereas in Sikhi, everyone's going about on their own little path, building towers and calling them Gurdwara's, creating their own rules and regulations, and then preaching it by saying "This is Sikhi."
I find that pretty dumb. How can people go about corrupting their own religion? This Gurdwara situation, along with the many groups being formed, is totally getting out of hands. Many people have started to notice this, but the real question now is: what now?
We can all sit here and "discuss" it. That won't get things far. We need to stop "discussing" because there is nothing to "discuss." It's been discussed in the past, is being discussed now, and will continue to be discussed in the future.

Here in Toronto, there's like "Gurdwara's" being built on every 3rd block. People come together with 5 others, decide that they believe in different things, and build a tower. They give it a name - usually whatever street is close by - and start their own version of "Sikhism." Why not just create your own religion, and name it whatever you like. At least this way, people won't be corrupting the original religion, and changing up the rules to fit their own needs and wants.

Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!
Pyare gurmukho thinking of boycotting Gurdwara Sahibs, please remember the sakhi of Guru Nanak at the virtuous pind and the unvirtuous pind, Maharaj said to the virtuous pind, "Ujar jao" (may all the village population disperse), and to the unvirtuous population "Vasde raho" (remain settled in the pind). If the gurmukhs remeain seated in their homes, this does not seem to be Gurmat as those with GuN (virtue) are meant to spread this virtue by going where there is none.

At the end of Jap Ji Sahib, Maharaj does not praise just those who have japped naam, but those who with, "ketee shutee naal".

ਗੁਣਾ ਕਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਵਾਸੁਲਾ ਕਢਿ ਵਾਸੁ ਲਈਜੈ ॥
Guṇā kā hovai vāsulā kadẖ vās la▫ījai.
One who has a basket of fragrant virtues, should enjoy its fragrance.

ਜੇ ਗੁਣ ਹੋਵਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਸਾਜਨਾ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਝ ਕਰੀਜੈ ॥
Je guṇ hovniĥ sājnā mil sājẖ karījai.
If my friends have virtues, I will share in them.

ਸਾਝ ਕਰੀਜੈ ਗੁਣਹ ਕੇਰੀ ਛੋਡਿ ਅਵਗਣ ਚਲੀਐ ॥
Sājẖ karījai guṇah kerī cẖẖod avgaṇ cẖalī▫ai.
Let us form a partnership, and share our virtues; let us abandon our faults, and walk on the Path.

ਪਹਿਰੇ ਪਟੰਬਰ ਕਰਿ ਅਡੰਬਰ ਆਪਣਾ ਪਿੜੁ ਮਲੀਐ ॥
Pahire patambar kar adambar āpṇā piṛ malī▫ai.
Let us wear our virtues like silk clothes; let us decorate ourselves, and enter the arena.

ਜਿਥੈ ਜਾਇ ਬਹੀਐ ਭਲਾ ਕਹੀਐ ਝੋਲਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਜੈ ॥
Jithai jā▫e bahī▫ai bẖalā kahī▫ai jẖol amriṯ pījai.
Let us speak of goodness, wherever we go and sit; let us skim off the Ambrosial Nectar, and drink it in.

ਗੁਣਾ ਕਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਵਾਸੁਲਾ ਕਢਿ ਵਾਸੁ ਲਈਜੈ ॥੩॥
Guṇā kā hovai vāsulā kadẖ vās la▫ījai. ||3||
One who has a basket of fragrant virtues, should enjoy its fragrance. ||3||
Local Gurdwara Sahibaan have been built with funds from Panth and these Gurdwara Sahibaans should be used for promoting Chardi Kala of Panth.

While it's a good idea to build Gurdwara Sahibaan where Gurmat Maryada should be implemented and followed but Gursikhs (including Jatha) should continue to do Samagams at local Gurdwara Sahibaan. Prabandhaks of the Gurdwara Sahibaan should be educated to do Prakash of the Laridaar Saroop and at the very least when they see Jatha ensuring Prakash of Laridaar Saroop and preparing Degh in Sarbloh with full Maryada, they too may get positively influenced.

In case Prabandhaks at one Gurdwara Sahib do not allow this, then Jatha can always go to some other Gurdwara Sahib where Samagams can be done with Gurmat Maryada. There is plenty of choice of Gurdwara Sahibaan in Toronto and this is why having more Gurdwara Sahibaan is a good thing and it should not be taken negatively.

While there is nothing wrong in doing Samagams at homes and sometimes there is more Anand in doing Samagam at homes with like-minded Sangat, Samagams should be done at Gurdwara Sahibaan too, for the obvious reason of Gurmat Parchaar. If Sidh-roopi Gurmukhs get hidden at Parbat-roopi homes, then who will lead the world to salvation?

Kulbir Singh
April 28, 2011 06:29PM
Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!

Bhai Sahib Bhai Kulbir Singh Jeeo -- when u mention " Prabandhaks of the Gurdwara Sahibaan should be educated to do Prakash of the Laridaar Saroop and at the very least when they see Jatha ensuring Prakash of Laridaar Saroop and preparing Degh in Sarbloh with full Maryada, they too may get positively influenced."

I personally feel that the effect will be positive without a doubt -- why ? Maharaj's kala is beyond our thinking -, secondly this is ultimately how the AKJ have progressed throughout the world from those humble beginnings at the local level- by starting at and within the core of what we already have the local Gurdwara.

The emphasis has to be to infiltrate the local and educate as we already have the influx -- educate without taking it personally, without thrusting it down people's throats, educating without any ego of which way is better - debating and debating for progression and without the desire to beat them down with ego.. debating without ego but simple humble styleee-- man i could go on - but i feel this is a must.Apologies for rambling on.

I work in IT and can never forget the famous quote by IBM - "THINK GLOBAL BUT ACT LOCAL" -- we perhaps should be pursuing such lines practically
BhaiKulbirSinghji
In case Prabandhaks at one Gurdwara Sahib do not allow this, then Jatha can always go to some other Gurdwara Sahib where Samagams can be done with Gurmat Maryada. There is plenty of choice of Gurdwara Sahibaan in Toronto and this is why having more Gurdwara Sahibaan is a good thing and it should not be taken negatively.

Well said! Akhand Kirtani Jatha should not build thier own Gurudwarey and instead do Smagams in local and historical Gurudwarey. Doing so, others will
know about True Rehit and Gursikhi. If Jatha builds their own Gurudwarey, it can ultimately lead to fights and corruption and the hunger for control, as we have seen in the past.
Jaspreet Singh jee, Just to make things clear, I did not write that Jatha or Gursikhs should not be running Gurdwara Sahibaan. If Gurdwara Sahibaans are run by Gurmukhs, then there is a better chance that they would be run in accordance to Gurmat.

Maharaj Kirpa Karan.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login