ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arth of this tuk

Posted by Uttam Singh 
Arth of this tuk
April 30, 2011 03:43AM
Can someone please explain the meaning of this line from Gurbani, in english if possible.

ਜਿਨਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਤਿਨ ਪੂਛਉ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਤੇ ਮਨੁ ਪਤੀਆਇ ॥ ਸੇ ਧਨਵੰਤ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਮਾਇ ॥ ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਇ ॥੧॥ (Ang 161)

Thank you.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Arth of this tuk
April 30, 2011 07:40AM
ਜਿਨਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਤਿਨ ਪੂਛਉ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਤੇ ਮਨੁ ਪਤੀਆਇ ॥ ਸੇ ਧਨਵੰਤ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਮਾਇ ॥ ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਇ ॥੧॥

In the above Pankiti, it seems like the word ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ means Vaheguru i.e. Mukhi-Guru. If we assume that ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ here means a Gursikh, then we have to assume that there are certain ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ who don't Dhiyaa i.e. don't meditate and also the Pankiti then would not make clear as to what is it that should be meditated (Dhiyaa).

The meaning seem to be - ਜਿਨਾਂ ਨੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ (ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ) ਨੂੰ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਹੈ, ਮੈਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਪਾਸੋਂ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਪੁਛਾਂ (ਕਿ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਨੂੰ ਧਿਆਈਦਾ ਹੈ)। ਅਗਲੀਆਂ ਤਿਨ ਪੰਕਤੀਆਂ ਵਿਚ ਦਰਜ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਧਿਆਈਦਾ ਹੈ - ਪਹਿਲੀ ਗੱਲ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਮਨ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਣ ਨੂੰ ਤਾਂ ਹੀ ਪਤੀਆਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਜਾਂ ਮੰਨਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੇਕਰ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਕੀਤੀ ਜਾਵੇ (ਭਾਵ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਮੰਨੇ ਜਾਣ)। ਜੋ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਕਮਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਉਹ ਧੰਨਵੰਤ ਹਨ। ਇਸ ਸਿਧਾਂਤ ਦੀ ਸਮਝ ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਪਾਸੋਂ ਹੀ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ ।

In the first Pankiti above, Guru Sahib teaches us to say - I ask those who meditate Gurmukh Vaheguru, as to how to do so. In the next three Pankitis lies the response of Pyare who Japp Naam as to how to meditate Gurmukh Vaheguru. The first thing is to engage in Guru's service (second Pankiti) and then alone the mind becomes agreeable to do Bhagti. Guru's service or Seva means obeying Hukams of Guru Sahib - chanting Naam, reciting Gurbani, keeping Rehit etc. In the 3rd Pankiti Guru Sahib states the reward of engaging in meditating Gurmukh Naam and in the last Pankiti a true fact is stated that from the Perfect Guru alone one realizes the aforementioned concept of Naam Abhyaas and thus serving the True Master.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
April 30, 2011 09:57AM
Singh jee,
Doesn't ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ here means "Through the SatGuru"...ਭਾਵ ਕੇ " ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਮੁਖ ਦੁਆਰਾ "?

Chota veer
April 30, 2011 10:11AM

Doesn't ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ here means "Through the SatGuru"...ਭਾਵ ਕੇ " ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਮੁਖ ਦੁਆਰਾ "?

Chatrik jeeo, many translators have interpreted as you have stated but as per the lowly understanding this Daas has, it would be more appropriate to translate it as Vaheguru because otherwise, the subject would be missing from the Gurbani sentence.

ਜਿਨਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਧਿਆਇਆ... If we interpret Gurmukh as "through the Satguru" then the question arises kee dhiaaia i.e. what did they meditate through Guru? While it is possible that in poetic form, sometimes the subject is not mentioned and is understood but where the meanings can be derived without making the subject absent, what is the need to make things complicated then?

On the other hand if we interpret "Gurmukh" as Vaheguru, then the problem of "subject" missing from the Pankiti does not arise. As for meditating through Guru, that is made clear in the subsequent Pankitis.

Baaki, Gurbani Agam Agaadh Bodh hai jee.

Kulbir Singh
April 30, 2011 12:53PM
Vaheguru Vaheguru, thanks bhai sahib jeeo, I see the reasoning you have given for the meaning of Gurmukh in this line, this did not occur to me when looking at the arths in freedkot and prof sahib singh teeka.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login