ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Working Shifts

Posted by ns 
Working Shifts
April 12, 2011 06:32PM
WJKK WJKF

Guru pyaree jeoo, what are the views if one works shifts such as nights -- in regards to amritvela - some say do nitnem up on waking after doing nights shits. Some say do nitnem during the nightshift which is impossible due to working, some say do nitnem after finish working nights in the morning??

Oh and some say ditch the job and find a day job- -this is not easy at all due to commitments and could take years to do.

What do Gursikhs do who work nights ?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Working Shifts
April 13, 2011 10:12PM
I think that once you get home from work, whatever time that maybe, if it's after 12am, then just do ishnaan and do your Nitnem then. After that you can go to sleep. It's better than ruining your sleep by first sleeping for a few hours, then getting up to do ishnaan/Nitnem, and then going back to sleep.

Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!
April 16, 2011 12:53PM
Praiseworthy are those people whom make the effort to observe Amrit Vela after having
a few hours of sleep due to work or school, and praise worthy are those people
who make efforts to recite Bani/naam while at work. But those Gursikhs are most pleasing to Guru
Sahib who observe Amrit Vela with a focused and alert mind according to Maryada.

The minutes in Amrit Vela are the most intimate moments of the day where Husband ( WaaheGuru ji)
and Wife ( soul bride) come to meet.

ਬਿਦਾਰੀ ਅਸਤ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਏ ਸਾਹਿਬਾਨੇ ਸ਼ੌਕ, ਗੋਯਾ ਹਰਾਮ ਕਰਦਮ ਆਇੰਦਾ ਖਵਾਬੇ ਸੁਬਹ.
- The meeting of WaaheGuru awakens life in the spiritual seekers.
Seeker Nand Lal has given up early morning sleep.

(ਬਿਦਾਰੀ-- Awake, vigilant spiritual seekers,ਸਾਹਿਬਾਨੇ - spiritual seekers
ਹਰਾਮ- renounce, ਖਵਾਬੇ ਸੁਬਹ- early morning sleep)

For spiritual union to occur observing Amrit Vela Maryada with a wakeful mind
is of great importance. Because at this time Husband- WaaheGuru hears our plea much more.

ਬਾਬੀਹਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਤਾਂ ਦਰਿ ਸੁਣੀ ਪੁਕਾਰ ॥
The rainbird chirps in the ambrosial hours of the morning before the dawn; its prayers are heard in the Court of the Lord.

When the body is properly rested then its much more easier to observe Amrit Vela with a focused/alert mind
after Amrit Ishnaan. Last year I was working at a school and at the same time I decided to go back to school to get my teaching credentials. Unfortunately, the program I enrolled in only had night classes ( 7-10 pm). After going to school for a few weeks I noticed my Amrit Vela was greatly effected because I was sleeping late. Also, the time before going to sleep should be spent merging in Gurmat through reading GUrmat Literature, doing kirtan, paaath etc, so it is more motivated during Amrit Vela, but I was spending it learning about worldly things. So I decided to drop out of the program. I think its best that we arrange our worldly schedule around our spiritual discipline and not the other way around. If I was in your position I would look for a new job even if the pay is lower, because the human birth is priceless and we should try to bear
as much fruit from it as possible.
April 18, 2011 11:45AM
WJKK WJKF

kaurs4 you have interesting suggestion i will try that one for certain.

Sukhdeep Jeeo , many thanks for your contribution-to one week i work from 4-11 and don't get home till12am.- I 've tried nitnem straight after gettting home around12:30-am - most beautiful expeerience in comparison to getting a full rest and getting up around 6-7 am and doing nitnem- Problem is i commit more time and when i do i start sleeping as listening & doing bani-

Change of job -- means training for a entire different career which i have been doing for the past 2 years - when that happens only the almighty knows-- please keep prayers for me.
April 22, 2011 05:54PM
ns Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Sukhdeep Jeeo , many thanks for your
> contribution-to one week i work from 4-11 and
> don't get home till12am.- I 've tried nitnem
> straight after gettting home around12:30-am - most
> beautiful expeerience in comparison to getting a
> full rest and getting up around 6-7 am and doing
> nitnem- Problem is i commit more time and when i
> do i start sleeping as listening & doing bani-
>

NS Jeeo,

Its great that you are able to get a beautiful experience
after working late hours. I recently came upon an article
written by Bhai Randhir Singh Ji in which Bhai Saihb mentions
when someone observes the three hours of Amrit Vela ( 3am- 6am) with an Alert mind
then it becomes easy to meet the goal of a Gursikh which is automatic Naam Abhyiaas ( sass graas )
for the 8 parts of the day.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਦੀ ਇਕ-ਪਹਿਰੀ ਸਾਵਧਾਨਤਾ ਸਹਿਤ ਨਾਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਮਾਨੋ
ਅਠ ਪਹਿਰੀ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਲਗ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ.

So by observing Amrit Vela with an alert mind we follow the rehat which Guru Sahib
says is beyond explanation ( praise)

ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਨੈ ॥
ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਕੀਆ ਮੀਠਾ ਮਾਨੈ ॥
ਏਕੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੰਤਨ ਆਧਾਰੁ ॥
ਹੋਇ ਰਹੇ ਸਭ ਕੀ ਪਗ ਛਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
ਸੰਤ ਰਹਤ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥
ਉਆ ਕੀ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਕਥਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
April 26, 2011 06:03PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

Bhai Sahib Sukhdeep Singh Jeeo,

You're response above with Bhai Sahib's writings has urther has inspired me to do nitnem straight after working that late evening shift. Thank you indeed, it has clarified the clutter of doubt in my mind.
April 28, 2011 11:05AM
Do it in the car, to and from work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login