ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Happy Anniversary to Gurmukh Singhs

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Today marks the Anniversary when two Gurmukhs met their Husband ( WaaheGuru) and attained everlasting union.
Everyday in Ardas we remember those Shaheed Singhs who were turned on spiked wheels ( ਚਰਕੀਆਂ ਤੇ ਚੜੇ).
Today marks the marriage Anniversary in which Shaheed Bhau Subegh Singh Ji and Shaheed BHai Shabaaz Singh Ji became martyrs for their faith.

dohra

ਸੁਬੇਗ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੰਬਰ ਭਯੋ ਸਿਖੀ ਮਧ ਮਜ਼ਬੂਤ ਵਹਿ ਭੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਿਖ ਹੁਤੋ, ਜਿਸ ਕੋ ਥੋ ਤਹ ਪੂਤ ॥੧॥

Bhai Subeg Singh was born to Rai Bhaga of the village of Jambar in Lahore district. He was a Gursikh at a young age and

chaupey

ਬਾਲ ਅਵਸਥਾ ਸੁਤ ਫਾਰਸੀ ਪੜਾਯੋ, ਫਿਰ ਮੱਧ ਕਚਹਿਰੀ ਉਸੈ ਰਹਾਯੋ। ਵੈ ਹੁਤੋ ਮੁਲਕ ਕੋ ਕਰਤ ਅਜਾਰਾ ਰਹਿਤੇ ਥੇ ਲਾਹੌਰ ਮਝਾਰਾ॥੨॥

While young Bhai Subegh Singh Ji learnt Arabic and Persian from his father. After his studies he managed to get a contracting job within the
courts of the Mughals. The Khalsa Fauj were the main opponents of the Mughal administration.
The Singhs were able to cause much distress amongst the Mughal officials. However, the Khalsas rebellious oppisition
left them stranded, scattered and wanted in ever city and town; thus, they could not openly congregate and practice Sikhi openly, since they were
banned from all Mughal boundaries. But because the Khalsa Fauj caused much distress and disorder amongst Mughal authorities, the Turks(
Mughals) decided to make a truce with the Fauj. In 1733, the Mughal authority decided by the orders of Zakariya Khan, the Governor of
Lahore, to lift the banishment enforced on the Khalsa Fauj and make an offer of a grant to them royalties.

ਤੁਰਕ ਉਸੇ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਲ ਤੋਰੈਂ, ਖਾਲਸਾ ਭੀ ਤਿਸ ਕੋ ਭਲ ਲੋਰੈ।ਕੋਈ ਤੁਰਕਨ ਪਰੈ ਤੌ ਉਸ ਭੇਜੈ ਕਰ ਕਰ ਸਲਾਮ॥੩॥

Subeg Singh was entrusted with the duty of mediating between the SInghs and the Mughals and thus cause peace ( salaam)
He met the assembly of the Khalsa at Akal Takht, Amritsar, as the Lahore government's Vakil, a title which became a permanent adjunct of his
name. For having associated himself with the government, Subeg Singh had to expiate before he was allowed to join the assembly.

ਬਹੁਤ ਬਾਰ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਪੈ ਆਯੋ, ਸੋ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਕੰਮ ਨਹਿ ਚਹਿ ਗਵਾਯੋ। ਕਿਤ ਘੂਰਨ ਕਿਤ ਮਤਲਬ ਗ੍ਰੀਬੀ, ਕਿਤ ਬਲ ਕਰ ਕਿਤ ਛਲ ਕਰ ਲੀਬੀ ॥੪॥

With the greatest intentions of the Panth, many times he approached at feet of the Singhs and communicated on behalf of the Mughal governor the offer of a jagir and nawabship which Sikhs turned down as Khalsa does not make deal with tyrants . Bhai Subegh Singh Ji had no desires to ruin the works of the Khalsa Panth. Seeing the impoverished condition of the Singhs he thought to himself what hypocrisy is it for me to work for such an oppressive regime.

ਸੋ ਸਭ ਦਏ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਭੇਤ, ਹੁਤੋ ਪੰਥ ਅਤਿ ਸੋ ਬਡ ਹੇਤ। ਪੰਥ ਖਾਤਰ ਤਨ ਮਨ ਧਨ ਲਾਵੈ, ਨਹਿਂ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਪੋਤਰੇ ਕੋ ਹੇਤ ਰਖਾਵੈ॥੫॥

After peshing for working for the Mughals and seeing its injustice done to the SInghs, he had an overwhelming desire to
offer everything ( mind,body, and wealth) to the panth along with his son Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji.

With unbreaking faith he completely obeyed the Hukum we read everyday during Amrit Vela.
ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਉਪਿ ਗੁਰ ਕਉ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਪਾਈਐ ॥
Surrender body, mind, wealth, and everything to the Guru; obey the Order of His Will, and you will find Him.

Bhai Subegh Singh Ji had no desire to live a domestic life for the purpose of continuing his posterity. Instead his only desire was to offer his head at the holy feet of SatGuru Ji. He could only wait for that auspicious day to come.

ਪਾਣੀ ਅੰਨੁ ਨ ਭਾਵੈ ਮਰੀਐ ਹਾਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਪਿਰ ਕਿਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥
I have no desire for food or water, and I am dying from the pain of separation. Without my Husband Lord, how can I find peace?

In the real sense, he was a living martry he was a completely spiritual atma with no sense of worldliness. He had no desires for this world and its attachements. This soul-brides thirst for death was overwhelming, since he believed through his death he would re-unite with his Husband-WaaheGuru.

After becoming ShasterDhari- Khalsa, Bhai Subegh Singh Ji would engage in non-stop Naam Abhyiaas. When the authorities became aware
of BHai Sahibs radical change they decided to entice him and convert him into Islam.

ਸੁਬੇਗ ਸਿੰਘ ਫੜ ਜੰਬਰੋ ਮੰਗਾਯੋ, ਤਿਸਕਾ ਬੇਟਾ ਸਾਥ ਫੜਾਯਾ। ਕਹਯੋ ਨਵਾਬ ਤੁਮ ਆਵੋ ਦੀਨ, ਲੇਵੋ ਦਾਮ ਔ ਕਾਮ ਔਂ ਜ਼ਮੀਨ॥੭॥

After orders were sent to seize both Bhai Sahib and his son ( Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji) from the village they were brought to the court, and
the Governor said come to the religion of Islam and you will acquire wealth, women (kaam), and land.

ਨਹੀਂ ਤੋ ਮਰਨੋ ਕਰ ਮਨਜ਼ੂਰ, ਚੜੋ ਚਰਖ ਗਿਰ ਹੋਵੈ ਚੂਰ। ਸੁਬੇਗ ਸਿੰਘ ਤਬ ਕੁਰਨਸ਼ ਕਰੀ, ਧੰਨ ਚਰਖਰੀ ਧੰਨ ਯਹ ਘਰੀ॥੮॥

When placing Bhai Subegh Singh Ji on spiked wheels and began the torturing process. The Nawab ( Governor) said if you do not want to die. then accept Islam. Bhai Subegh Singh Ji responded with Gurfateh (ਕੁਰਨਸ਼ ) and said blessed is the spike-wheel and blessed is this time.
The very thought of death was giving much anand to Bhai Sahib.
ਕਬੀਰ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਰਨੇ ਤੇ ਜਗੁ ਡਰੈ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨਿ ਆਨੰਦੁ ॥
Kabeer, the world is afraid of death - that death fills my mind with bliss.

Bhai Sahib then stated

ਚਾੜ੍ ਚਰਖੜੀ ਹਮੈ ਗਿਰਾਵੋ ਸੋ ਅਬ ਹਮ ਕੋ ਦਲਿ ਨ ਲਾਵੋ। ਹਮ ਤੋ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਸਿਖ ਸਦਾਵੈ, ਗਰੁ ਕੇ ਹੇਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਣ ਭਲ ਜਾਵੈ॥੯॥

Do not delay my death continue turning these wheels. Regard me a Sikh of the Guru who is happy to offer his life for the love of his Guru.
The Nawab had no idea of the state of a Gurmukhs mind. He had no idea that death was sweet to BHai Sahib as it was through death he would permanently reside with his Husband-WaaheGuruu.

ਸਾਜਨ ਰਹੰਸੇ ਦੁਸਟ ਵਿਆਪੇ ਸਾਚੁ ਜਪਿ ਸਚੁ ਲਾਹਓ ॥ਕਰ ਜੋੜਿ ਸਾ ਧਨ ਕਰੈ ਬਿਨਤੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਸਿ ਭਿੰਨੀਆ ॥
My friends are happy, and my enemies are unhappy; meditating on the True Lord, the true profit is obtained.
With her palms pressed together, the soul-bride prays, that she may remain immersed in the Love of her Lord, night and day.

He then started saying ਧੰਨ ਨਵਾਬ ਧੰਨ ਤਵ ਦੀਨ "blessed is the Nawab and blessed is his religion of compulsion"
The Nawab was completely preplexed by these statements. He had no idea that BHai Saihb was thankful to the
fanatical Nawab for giving him the opportunity to meet his beloved WaaheGuru.
"ਹਉ ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਖਨ ਖੰਨੀਐ ਮੈ ਮੇਲੇ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਪਾਸਿ ॥
I cut myself into pieces, and make myself a sacrifice to that one who leads me to meet my Lord God.

The Nawab could only wonder and ask Bhai Sahib why face death when you can live by accepting Islam?
Bhai Sahib reponsed
ਮਰਨੋਂ ਡਰ ਹਮ ਦੀਨ ਮੋਂ ਕਰੋ, ਹੋਇ ਦੀਨ ਮੈਂ ਫਿਰ ਨਹਿ ਮਰੋ?
ਜੌ ਫਿਰ ਭੀ ਸਿਰ ਮਰਨੋੱ ਰਹੈ, ਐਸ ਜੀਵਨ ਕਿਉ ਧਮ ਤਜ ਬਹੈ?
If I accept your religion through fear while I no longer face death by becoming Muslim.
If death is eventual/unavoidable then why renounce my religion in this life.

Bhai Sahibs bairag for his marriage was becoming unbearble and he then told the
Nawab if you love your religion then do not delay the turning of the wheels.
Steadfast in his principles he firmly stated:
ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ਹਮ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ, ਧਰਮ ਆਪਨੋ ਸਾਥ ਨਿਬਾਹੀ॥

I will not become a Muslim so be firm in your religious law (continue the turning of the spiked wheel)

The Nawab continued the order of spinning the spiked wheel, and Bhai Sahib would not forget
Japping WaaheGuru-Gurmantar.

ਊਚੇ ਚਾੜ੍ ਫਿਰ ਬਹੁਤ ਘੁਮਾਯਾ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਤਿਨ ਨਾਹਿ ਭੁਲਾਯਾ

At this point the Nawab was convinced that he could not convert Bhai Sahib through the threat of death and torture.

So instead he cunningly tried to convince Bhai Sahib by torturing Bhai Sahibs son ( BHai Shabaaz Singh Ji). But when Bhai Sahib saw his son being tortued with his own eye he was just amazed with his sons steadfastness and said
ਧੰਨ ਧੰਨ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ! ਧੰਨ ਦਿਨ ਯਹੈ
blessed blessed is the son blessed is this day.

He then stated blessed is that person who stays firm in his faith; blessed is the person who desires the Gurus lotus feet.

The Nawab became irritated and then trying to be even more cunning stated the following.

ਨਵਾਬ ਕਹੀ, ਸੁਨ ਸਿੱਖ ਸੁਬੇਗ! ਬਚਾੳ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕੋ ਚਲਤੀ ਤੇਗ।
ਰੱਖ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਜੋ ਜੜ ਤੁਝ ਰਹੈ, ਤੂੰ ਕਹੁ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਕਲਮਾ ਕਹੈ॥੨੨॥

Listen Sikh Subegh! Save your child from the sword of death by reciting the Islamic kalma of conversion
(There is no God but Allah and Mohammad is the messenger of Allah)

The Nawab was really ingnorant about the tenets of Sikhi he had no idea about the principles and personality
of Gurmukhs. He tried to convince BHai Subegh Singh Ji by stating
"ਪੁੱਤਰ ਤੇ ਹੀ ਰਹਿ ਹੈ ਬੰਸ, ਬਿਨਾ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਹੈ ਨਿਰਬੰਸ"
Your son continues your family legacy; without him your posterity will be ruined.

But how can Bhai Sahib forget Guru Gobind Singh Jis Bachan of
"ਸਿੱਖ ਹੋਇ ਜੋ ਆਪਾ ਖੋਵੈ, ਮੇਟ ਕੁਲੈ ਨਿਜ ਗੁਰ ਕੁਲ ਹੋਵੈ"
After becoming Sikh one is to renounce their previous self ( caste, econ. background) and family; instead recognize themselves
as belonging to the Gurus family.

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਸ੍ਵਜਨ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਰਾ ॥
Khalsa is my close family
- Khalsa Mehma

Bhai Sahib then stated , my Guru handles the affairs of all his Sikhs; after offering my head
to him I have become part of his family, he has offered his four sons yet his family continue to live!
Bhai Sahib and his son refused to recite the kalma and instead told the Nawab that their is WaaheGuru ( Gurmantar).
The Nawab became angered and continued with the torture while the Gurmukhs continued recited the Gurus-Kalma
WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuruuuuuu

ਸਚਿ ਰਤੀਆ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਜਿਨਾ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੀਗਾਰਿ ॥
The happy soul-brides are imbued with Truth; they are adorned with the Gurus Mantra.

WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru WaaheGuru... Through this Kalma sons of GUru Gobind Singh Ji ( BHai Subegh Singh Ji,
and Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji) felt nothing but Sukh ( peace) when being tortutred the same way child Prahlad felt no pain ( dukh)in the hands of an oppressor.
ਜਿਮ ਪ੍ਰਹਲਾਦ ਨ ਮਾਨਯੋ ਦੁੱਖ, ਤੈਸੇ ਬਾਲਕ ਲਾਗੇ ਦੁਖ

The Nawab started to think there is something supernatural about these Singhs. He thought they might use their
power to do black magic and put a curse on the Nawab; thus, he then had them executed immediately.
At the hands of the executioner Gurmukhs Bhai Subegh Singh Ji and Bhai Shabaaz Singh Ji completed their marriage rites.

ਧਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਤੇ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਅੰਮਾਲੀ ਜਿਨ ਸਹੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਏ ॥ਹਉ ਵਾਰਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਅੰਮਾਲੀ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਧੋਵਾ ਸਦ ਪਾਏ ॥੪॥

Blessed, blessed are the happy soul-brides, O my friend, who are blended with their Husband Lord.|
I am a sacrifice to those happy soul-brides; I wash their feet again and again. ||4||
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login