ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simran while studying, in career etc.

Posted by Theguptone 
There are the tuks from Gurbani:

ਨਾਮਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਕਹੈ ਤਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਮੀਤ ॥
Nāmā mā▫i▫ā mohi▫ā kahai ṯilocẖan mīṯ.
Trilochan says, O Naam Dayv, Maya has enticed you, my friend.

ਕਾਹੇ ਛੀਪਹੁ ਛਾਇਲੈ ਰਾਮ ਨ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਚੀਤੁ ॥੨੧੨॥
Kāhe cẖẖīpahu cẖẖā▫ilai rām na lāvhu cẖīṯ. ||212||
Why are you printing designs on these sheets, and not focusing your consciousness on the Lord? ||212||

ਨਾਮਾ ਕਹੈ ਤਿਲੋਚਨਾ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਰਾਮੁ ਸੰਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਲਿ ॥
Nāmā kahai ṯilocẖanā mukẖ ṯe rām samĥāl.
Naam Dayv answers, O Trilochan, chant the Lord's Name with your mouth.

ਹਾਥ ਪਾਉ ਕਰਿ ਕਾਮੁ ਸਭੁ ਚੀਤੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੨੧੩॥
Hāth pā▫o kar kām sabẖ cẖīṯ niranjan nāl. ||213||
With your hands and feet, do all your work, but let your consciousness remain with the Immaculate Lord. ||213||

However, how is one meant to keep cheet niranjan naal when doing things like studying or if ones career is not manual as the cheet is concentrating on the studies or the work? What Gurbani tells us how to do this, or is there also a different way to apply the above tuks?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
THis is one of my favorite shabads you have posted. I too use to think
how can one keep his chit on Gurmantar when doing non-manual labor
work.

Im no expert in this field, but I have learned the subconscious mind
is very chanchal. It goes from one thought to another thought. Its always
thinking of something . Even when we are studying or working on some
"white collar" task the mind is always not focused on the task, but instead
focused on something else whether it be ones family, friends, hopes for a
promotion,etc. Because of this wayward thinking man forgets Waaheguru and at
the same time completes his daily tasks unfocused.

So I think the trick is to train the subconscious mind to think about WaaheGuru. The
subconscious mind is going to think ( contemplate) about something so why Not have it think
about WaaheGuru. THis way the mind will be less wayward and it will be more easy to complete ones
daily chores since they will be more focused. Yes this does take some training but there are some
tips that we can learn from MahaPurash. For example, Bhai Randhir Singhs Ji mentions that one
by doing Naam Abhyiaas during Amrit Vela with single minded concentration then the Naam pendulum gets active meaning ones chit ( subconscious) is thinking about WaaheGuru throughout the day even when doing daily chores.
If the Puratan Singhs could fight wars and keep their mind on WaaheGuru surely we can complete our tasks
and stay focused on WaaheGuru as long as we keep rehat like Amrit Vela, Bibek, Kirtan Sadh Sangat, etc.

Bhai Raghbir Singh Ji(?) mentions that when the mind starts to stray start reciting Gurbani. So perhaps its good also
to memorize some pauris or pangtis from Gurbani this way when ever you are at work and feel like the mind is completely
forgetting God then you can recite Gurbani to motivate you to do naam jaap silently.
I also forgot to mention practicing Gurmat Virtues throughout the day helps aid
us in concentration on Naam while Manmat qualities exhaust the mind and keep
it weary. For example, if we use sweet words when talking to our fellow employers
the mind will be more calm and focused on naam, but if we do nindia of fellow employees
then mind will bounce like a monkey.
I've tried, but trying to focus on gurbani while trying to get things like school work done makes it impossible for me to complete my tasks. Unfortunately we are not all at the level of Bhai Randhir Singh, who was so absorbed in Simran that his work would get completed without him even thinking about it. Guru Sahib says we must do our kaaraj, so he will not punish us in anyway for obeying his hukam, as long as we keep in mind that our aim is not to be successful, it is only just to get our work done. At the same time, Guru Sahib says we cannot be lazy when comPleting tasks. So we must do our work properly. After struggling hard with this dilemma, I've switched strategies and simply try to get my work done as quickly as possible (i.e. Writing essays) so as to get back to what's important as soon as possible. Now, Guru Sahib takes care of the rest. The more we obey and place faith in Guru Sahib while remaining chinta/worry-free, the more Guru Sahib helps bring us closer to that stage of constant rememberence, of swaas swaas simran. smiling smiley Guru Sahib is very kind!
Guru Sahib tells that if you speak badly then the 'preet' (bond) will break.
Those above are really good replies.thumbs up The question is important, because non manual jobs are too frequent. One may sometimes opt for manual jobs as compared non manual, based on this problem.

But as Sukhdeep Singh Veer Ji says we need constant training in that. sk Bhein recommends speedy worry-less completion of non manual jobs. That is good remedy and it also increases our work efficiency. Leafy probably is stressing the negative impact of bad speaking on our silent relation with God.

It is really difficult, I feel. Thousand of times, I start my day with this hope, but back from job (non manual), I know that I have failed.thumbs down

Let us hope, tomorrow it works.
If you are in school or working a job that requires pure focus, if one cannot do Simran while completing such tasks, then at the very least 100% should be given on their task at hand. By focusing on your task, if we cannot remember Vaheguro, then at the very least we are not letting our minds wonder towards Maya, since our mind is geared toward whatever task we are trying to complete. Complete focus also makes for quicker completion of the task. When the task is then complete, then we can once again instantly put our focus back on Akal Purakh. Obviously, 100% focus doesn't mean complete forgetting Vaheguro, we should always make a conscious effort to do Simran whenever possible. We should also try our best to do Simran in the short breaks we take in between our work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login