ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nickel Plated Sarbloh

Posted by Uttam Singh 
Nickel Plated Sarbloh
February 28, 2011 03:58PM
Gursikhs must have noticed that nowadays most sarbloh items such as aad chands, malas and even karas are being plated with nickel. This doesn't seem to be Gurmat to me. Its like people are making sarbloh into a ritual but they want it to look like steel. There is nothing more beautiful with bana than proper Sarbloh. Someone I know is in Punjab trying to buy sarbloh items without any nickel plating and they are in fact very hard to come by, the shopkeepers are saying that such sarbloh items will now only be available at Hazoor Sahib. This is a very bad trend... how can we ensure PROPER sarbloh items without any plating are sold once more?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Nickel Plated Sarbloh
February 28, 2011 04:47PM
Yeah I noticed this too. I have a kara and it's just different and I'm wondering how I can make the sarbloh shine through it.
February 28, 2011 05:08PM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

You could get emery cloth (metal sandpaper) and sand off the coating - that will be a bit labor intensive. Dremel - or something similar - small rotary tools come with metal sanding bits that you could use a fine grit on to remove the coating (works with rust too...just be careful that it does not take off too much).
February 28, 2011 05:17PM
Will those items be available at a hardware/homeware store?
February 28, 2011 11:25PM
OK...since this has come up..I have a question...singhs in India talk about something called "jist" or "gist" and they claim it is OK to use as it is basically sarabloh and it attracts a magnet.

Well, I won't go into whether this "jist" thing is OK or not. My question is whether anyone knows what this "gist" is called in English. It is obviously a coating on top of the sarabloh but not sure what that is called in English.

Could someone help me with the translation?

Thanks
Leafy Ji, put the kara in a bowl of water over night. and next morning wash the kara with citric acid and then with soap.
March 01, 2011 09:07AM
I think I'll give some of these suggestions a try! But I really think we should do something about getting them back in the shops without the coating in the first place!
March 01, 2011 09:58AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Local hardware stores or the big chain stores should carry the emery cloth/metal sandpaper and the rotary tool.
If you already havent spent your money, than find someone that could have a wire sander. They could do it in seconds. Try your mechanic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login