ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baavan Akhri

Posted by Gupt singho 
Baavan Akhri
February 07, 2011 04:48AM
On reading the last salok of bhavan akhri, I was surprised this line was present because I had not heard a Gursikh repeat this line when reciting the salok as part of their nitnem:

eyhu sloku Awid AMiq pVxw ]
eaehu salok aadh a(n)th parranaa ||

At first, I thought it was a line (I read the salok of my ipod as a pdf) the creator of the file had added as a reminder when to read, but a Gursikh said the line is also present in saiynchee sahibs. Could anyone comment on perhaps the historical reason for the line being present?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Bhavan Akhri
February 07, 2011 06:44AM
It's actually present is all saroops of SatGuroo.

Chota veer
February 07, 2011 09:25AM
Veer Jee, this salok this present both at the start and end of Sri Baavan Akhri. When it occurs first at the start of the Bani "eh salok aad ant paRna" does not appear. The second time it appears at the end of the Bani "eh salok aad ant paRna" does appear. It is a part of the Gurbani, just like the rest of the salok and should not be omitted from recitation. For example many Gursikhs might omit "shudh" or other such similar when it is written at the end of a paath, but I am of the opinion it must always be recited.

This is exactly how it is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, Senchi and Gutka Sahibs too.

This is quite significant, as it is the only Salok that appears twice in this fashion within 1 Bani. Mystical Gurmukhs like Baba Harnaam Singh Jee and Bhai Sahib Jeevan Singh Jee recommend reciting this salok as part of nitnem. Here is the relevant section from Se Kinehiya, for your reference:

Se Kinehiya p. 331

Se Kinehiya e-Book

Chapter 69 SIGNIFICANCE OF SALOK GURDEV MATA GURDEV PITA

Whenever Baba Ji would recite a Sehaj path or give Santhiya (teach pronunciation of Gurbani) to a new learner, he would come across a specific instruction written at the end of the prayer of “Bawan Akhri” in Raag Gauri by the fifth Guru. He would ponder over the Gurbani and its meaning and why Guru Ji’s had found it necessary to write this instruction. This Gurbani comes on page -262, at the end of which is written a specific direction for the reader.

The divine Guru is my mother, The divine Guru father and The divine Guru is my Lord and supreme God gurdayv maataa gurdayv pitaa gurdayv su-aamee parmaysuraa. (Salok- page 262)

The above stanza of Gurbani appears twice, once at the start of “Bawan Akhri” and then at the end of this prayer. At the end of the Salok, the great Guru has clearly instructed, “Read this Salok at the beginning and at the end”. The motive of the great Guru regarding this Salok was not clear.

Baba Ji asked many scholars of Gurbani about its meaning. Some said that instruction was applicable only for the prayer of ‘’Bawan Akhri‘’ and it meant that at the beginning and the end of reading this prayer, the reader must recite the above Salok twice. Baba Ji used to reply, ‘’This Salok is written twice, first in the beginning and then at the end, so it is to be read twice, there is no doubt regarding that. Some would say, ”This sentence is not Gurbani, it is just a written statement.” Baba Ji would answer, ‘’There are so many Salok’s in Gurbani which appear twice in the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, but none of them ends with this instruction to “ Read this Salok at the beginning and at the end.‘’

At last, when he was not satisfied, he prayed to the great Guru to give him counsel regarding the special instruction and its meaning. The tenth Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji appeared in front of Baba Ji and uttered, ‘’Bhai Harnam Singh! Whenever a gursikh begins nitnem, either in the morning or in the evening, at the beginning and after completing their prayers, this Salok should be read. Before the start of Sri Akhand Path Sahib, or Sehaj Path, and after completing the recitation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, this Salok should also be read. This line is written only for the purpose to remind the Sikh to read the Salok twice. Any person who reads this Salok at the beginning and the end of their prayers will receive extra spiritual benefit.” Listening to the divine words of the Great Guru, Baba Ji was totally satisfied and overjoyed. From that day onward, all the devotees of Baba Ji read this Salok as per the order of the Great Guru.

This was also discussed over on this website

I hope that answers your question.
February 07, 2011 10:24AM
The Hukam - eaehu salok aadh a(n)th parranaa || - should be read after the completion of Siri Bavan Akhri.

Some Gursikhs do Paath of this Salok before and after each Nitnem but it is not mandatory to do so. The Hukam that this Salok must be read after and before is meant for Siri Bavan Akhri only and not for regular 7 Baani Nitnem. Some people may have thought that this Salok is appearing twice in the same Baani as a result of an error and Guru Sahib wrote this Hukam to dispel such misunderstanding.

Other than Baba Harnam Singh jee's Saakhi, there is no tradition or Maryada of doing Paath of this Salok before and after Nitnem. Having said that, this is a beautiful Salok that praises Gurdev Pita jee so much. It's a great idea to adopt this Salok as part of Nitnem.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
February 07, 2011 10:32AM
Thank you for the replies smiling smiley
February 07, 2011 10:42AM
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee,

It's not just Baba Jee, but Bhai Sahib Jeevan Singh Jee also recommends to do this at start and end of nitnem, and in fact other tasks too. Many elder Gursikhs in AKJ who have done lot of sangat with Bhai Sahib from their prime times in the parchaar of the 1970-90s also do this.

However as we know, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee has not mentioned this anywhere in their books, otherwise many more AKJ would also follow this.

Furthermore, we can agree it is not a clear hukam of Guru Jee as such, but rather the advice of Gurmukhs. As it is not written in any historical source or rehitnama, so I will always respect the opposing view.

Chardikalaa
February 07, 2011 10:45AM
Just to add, this line is apart of the bani as a 'note' but not meant to be read, as dass has been told.

Chota veer
February 07, 2011 10:56AM
That is not correct Chatrik Veer Jee, it is not a "note", it is part of the Bani, and most definitely must be read, as mentioned in the earlier post as well. That is my opinion at least.

Rest, the knowledgeable Gursikhs can clarify.
Re: Baavan Akhri
February 07, 2011 01:51PM
this salok is reccomended to be read before doing nitnem and any bania, a lot of mahapurakhs have stated this.

and whilst reading bavan akhri we should not leave it out, same as at the end of asa dee vaaar we should not leave out the SUDH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login