ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Santhiya- CHANDI DI VAAR?

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Santhiya- CHANDI DI VAAR?
January 29, 2011 03:57PM
Since CHANDI DI VAAR bani is mandatory for every AmritDhari Gursikh I think it would be nice to have a thread with proper pronunciations of this bani? If this is not possible, perhaps someone can answer some questions related to Chandi Di Vaar recitations on this thread.

I was wondering are the highlighted words in the below verses one word or two words.

੧. ਇੰਦ੍ਰ ਜੇਹਾ ਜੋਧਾ ਮੈਥੋ ਭੱਜਿਆ ॥

ਮੈਥੋ or ਮੈ ਥੋ/ਥਓੁ (?)

੨. ਅਗਣਤ ਬੀਰ ਸੰਘਾਰੇ ਲਗਦੀ ਕੈਬਰੀ

ਕੈਬਰੀ or ਕੈ ਬਰੀ

3. ਤੀਰ ਫਿਰੈ ਰੈਬਾਰੇ ਆਮ੍ਹੋ ਸਾਮ੍ਹਣੇ ॥

ਰੈਬਾਰੇ or ਰੈ ਬਾਰੇ

4. ਦੁਹਾਂ ਕੰਧਾਰਾਂ ਮੁਹਿ ਜੁੜੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਧਉਸਾ ਭਾਰੀ

ਧਉਸਾ or ਧਉ ਸਾ

thanks
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Santhiya- CHANDI DI VAAR?
February 02, 2011 01:46PM
you said
Since CHANDI DI VAAR bani is mandatory for every AmritDhari Gursikh

last time i checked chandi di vaar was an optional bani to read according to panthic marayada. It is only manadtory to read 7 baani's the rest is optional
February 02, 2011 04:14PM
bhai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Since CHANDI DI VAAR bani is mandatory for every
> AmritDhari Gursikh
>
>
> last time i checked chandi di vaar was an optional
> bani to read according to panthic marayada. It is
> only manadtory to read 7 baani's the rest is
> optional

may be optional, but it should be included in ones nitnem.
February 02, 2011 05:11PM
Sukhdeep Singh is reffering to rehatnamai that tell us to recite chandi dee vaar every day

this rehat is followed by all NIhang Singhs it is part of their daily nitnem to recite sri chandee dee vaar.Having said that it is not mandatory only the 7 bania are mandatory this is clear from our maryada. rehatanami say a lot of interesting things and blindly following them is not advisable.

So I think Sukhdeep Singh, you shouldn't say that it is MANDATORY, because this isn't true. Having said that Sukhmani Sahib isn't Mandatory either but we should all do it everyday.

BUT I do think we should try do it Chandee Dee Vaar everyday, it is such a beautiful bani is one of daas's favorites to recite.
February 02, 2011 07:24PM
Short form of Chandi Di Vaar is Ardas that we should do after doing nitnem and reading other banis. Perhaps the rehitnama is referring to ardas?

I my opinion all the words in original form are correct. They are normal words of the Punjabi language and don't require any further pad-ched.

ਮੈਥੋ - from me

ਕੈਬਰੀ - arrow

ਰੈਬਾਰੇ - guide, according to Mahan Kosh this term also appears in Guru Granth Sahib ji

ਧਉਸਾ - type of drum (nagara)
Umkeo Heo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Short form of Chandi Di Vaar is Ardas that we
> should do after doing nitnem and reading other
> banis. Perhaps the rehitnama is referring to
> ardas?
>

Thanks for the explanation of words. I do believe Chandi Di Vaar can be viewed as an Ardas as it is a benti to fight for injustice, but I dont think the rehanama is referring to modern day Ardas. Historical sources specifically state Chandi Di Var should be recited.

ਕੱਛ ਸਵੇਤ ਔਰ ਨੀਲ ਪਟ, ਜਪੁ ਅਰੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਓੁਚਾਰ
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ, ਚੰਡੀ ਕੰਠ ਸੁਧਾਰਿ ।

- Bhai Daya Singh Ji Rehatnama

We also have the following:

ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਪੜੈਯੋ, ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੁ ਦੁਇ ਵੇਲੇ ਜਪੈਯੋ
ਔੌਰ ਅਨੰਦ ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਜਪਯੋ, ਚੰਡੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਖੜੇ ਪੜੈਯੋ
Bhai Rattan Singh- Panth Parkaash

Both sources mentions one should stand while reciting Chandi Di Vaar. Generally speaking one stands as a sign of respect. Who are we giving respect to? We are giving respect to Sri Sahib. Bhai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama mentions one should recite chandi Di Vaar through memory and the Sri Sahib should be out of the sheath. "ਚੰਡੀ ਕੰਠ ਸੁਧਾਰਿ ".

As Gursikhs we dont believe in flying monkeys, incarnated lions, or scary looking goddesses. Instead we believe in One Waaheguru who is Aaad Shakti. Chandi Di Vaar is in praise of Sri Akal Purakh who is aad Shakti. The mythological character is a symbol for Aaad Shakti. This is why the rehatnama reads praise Sri Akal by reciting Chandi Di Vaar with Sri Sahib out of the sheath.
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਚੰਡੀ ਕੰਠ ਸੁਧਾਰਿ ।

I dont believe Sri Akal UStat in the above rehatnama is referring to the bani "Akal Ustat" . We know how much Guru Sahib loved shasters.

ਜਿਤੇ ਸਸਤ੍ਰ ਨਾਮੰ॥ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਤਾਮੰ॥ ਜਿਤੇ ਅਸਤ੍ਰ ਭੇਯੰ॥ ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਤੇਯੰ॥
I
n fact, Guru Sahib refers to them as his peer ( teacher, Guru)

ਅਸ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਖੰਡੋ ਖੜਗ ਤੁਪਕ ਤਬਰ ਅਰੁ ਤੀਰ ॥ ਸੈਫ ਸਰੋਹੀ ਸੈਹਥੀ ਯਹੈ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਪੀਰ ॥੩॥
shasternama mala

The bani "Chandi Di Vaar" is in praise of shasters as well. Guru Sahib praises how shasters are executed throughout the battlefield and how shasters destroy the arrogant tyrants. WaaheGuru... how much pyaar Guru Sahib had for shasters? waaheguruu...

In his book " Gurmat Bibek" Bhai Randhir Singh Ji mentions that through Western Science the ignorant masses have strayed from Gurmat ,and these non-bibekee people make fun of bibkee Singhs who show respect to Gurdwaras and Shasters. Those deprived of Gurmat refer to such Bibekee Singhs as"Shaster Poojak" ( weapon worshipper) .

Shaheed Singhs ( Shaheedi Fauj) roam in ancient Gurdwara Sahibs and they roam where there is satkar for shasters.
In ancient times before the British controlled Punjab , Chandi Di Var was part of the nitnem because through this bani we give satkar to Sri Sahib. In fact, one could not call himself a nitnemi unless he included this bani as part of his daily nitnem nor would one eat from such a person who did not recite this bani. Why? Is this too extreme/conservative? No,because one cannot eat from those who dont show respect to shasters.

ਗੁਰ ਲਾ ਸਿਖ ਸਿਰੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦਾ ਅਦਬ ਕਰੇ, ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰੈ। ਆਪਿ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਪੂਜਾ ਕੀਤੀ ਹੈ। ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਿਖ ਕਰਦ ਭੇਟ ਕੀਏ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਸ਼ਾਦਿ ਨਾ ਛਕੇ।
Bhai Chuapa SIngh Ji rehatnama

When we do bhog/parvan of langar via ardas we have our Sri Sahib out of the sheath and thus we are giving satkar to Sri Sahib in praise of Aad Shakti ( WaaheGuru) Without this Satkar the langar is not accepted as Guru Ka Langar and thus Gursikhs do not eat such food. But I guess in the modern times standards are not so highsad smiley So it is clear from the above rehatnanama when a Gursikh respects and honors Sri Sahib he in actuality is respecting Sri Akal Purakh Sahib, and without this respect one cannot eat. Yes its hard to memorize this bani, but hopefully Guru Sahib can give the blessings so we can continue the tradition of honoring Sri Sahib.

ਚਾਰੇ ਜੁਗ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਚਲਗਿ ਤੇਗ ਦੀ ॥

ਬਿਧਣ ਖੇਤਿ ਵਿਹਾਣੀ ਮਹਿਖੇ ਦੈਤ ਨੂੰ ॥੧੯॥
February 05, 2011 08:57AM
For Nihung singhs who have profound knowledge of Dasam Granth sahib,Chandi is sri sahib and not Durga. Chandi di vaar mentions that.

ਧੂਹਿ ਲਈ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਣੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਮਿਆਨ ਤੇ ॥
धूहि लई क्रिपाणी दुरगा मिआन ते ॥
Durga pulled her sword from the scabbard.

ਚੰਡੀ ਰਾਕਸਿ ਖਾਣੀ ਵਾਹੀ ਦੈਤ ਨੂੰ ॥
चंडी राकसि खाणी वाही दैत नूं ॥
She struck the demon with that Chandi, the devourer of demons (that is the sword).
Yes I agree Chandi can also be viewed as Sri Sahib whos face shines brighter then moon after one gives it a bathe/cleaning out of respect.

ਇਕ ਦਿਹਾੜੇ ਨ੍ਹਾਵਣ ਆਈ ਦੁਰਗਸਾਹ ॥
ਚਾਰੇ ਜੁਗ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਚਲਗਿ ਤੇਗ ਦੀ ॥

ਸੋਈ ਖੜਗ ਕੰਠੀ ਪਰ ਧਰਿਯੋ ॥ ਮਾਰਨ ਅਪਨੋ ਆਪੁ ਬਿਚਰਿਯੋ ॥ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਤਬ ਤਾਹਿ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਐਸੀ ਭਾਤਿ ਬਖਾਨੀ ਬਾਨੀ ॥੧੪॥

ਪ੍ਰਥਮ ਧਰੋ ਭਗਵਤ ਕੋ ਧਯਾਨਾ ॥ ਬਹੁਰ ਕਰੋ ਕਬਿਤਾ ਬਿਧਿ ਨਾਨਾ ॥ ਕਿਸ਼ਨ ਜਥਾ ਮਤ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ਉਚਾਰੋ ॥ ਚੂਕ ਹੋਇ ਕਬਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਸੁਧਾਰੋ ॥੪੪੦॥
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login