ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

childrens story

Posted by HarminderKaur 
childrens story
January 20, 2011 12:21AM
Sadh Sangat ji, I am writing a childrens book or actually I wish too. I have written the first part of it and wanted Sangat's comments on it. I want to write something that inspires are young girls but I don't want to write anything wrong. I know the sangat on gurmatbibek well never lead me wrong. So all comments are welcomed, good or bad.

Once upon a time there lived a rich man, who had a wife, and one daughter, a very sweet and pretty girl. The daughter was so pretty that her parents named Sundar Kaur and lovingly called Sundri. They were a small but a happy family. But then one day the wife fell sick and died, and, after a while, the father married again. But he did not choose wisely this time, for the lady he married was proud and cross, and she had two grown-up daughters, just like herself in all things.

The marriage was no sooner over than the new wife began to be very harsh toward her step-child, whom she disliked because she was so much prettier than her own daughters, and because her good conduct and gentle manners made them appear more hateful. She made her do all the hard work of the house; scrub the floor, polish the grates, wait at the table, and wash up the plates and dishes. Even all the hard work and dirt, could not make Sundri, any less beautiful.

The poor child bore all this without complaint. When her work was done, she would sit for warmth in a corner of the chimney, among the cinders. Seeing her covered in the cinders, the mean sisters would laugh and teasingly call her Sundri, knowing full well the cinders covered her beauty. The mean sisters could not bear to see Sundri without her being covered in cinders, it reminded them how much more beautiful she was. They made sure she was always kept busy cleaning, creating the mess themselves, if need be.

One day the two sisters received an invitation to a ball that was to be given at the palace of the King, in honor of his son the Prince, who had just come of age. An invitation to this ball being a great honor, the sisters were in high glee, and at once began making ready to appear there in grand style.

This meant a great deal more work for Sundri. She had to do all the sewing and ironing, to run out three or four times a day to buy things, and, when the day of the ball came, to help her proud sisters dress, even to the arranging of their hair; for they knew she had good taste in all these matters, although they would not admit it openly. Dressed in rags, Sundri helped her stepsisters into the most beautiful dresses available in town.
At last the time came to start, and the sisters rode off to the ball, being mean enough at the last moment to jeer at Sundri because she was not going. The poor girl retired to her dismal kitchen, and could not help weeping as she sat there, thinking over her sisters' cruelty. Holding back her tears, Sundri, decided to make the most of stepfamily free night and eat to her hearts content.

Lifting the lid off one pan after next, Sundri was dismayed to find the mean sisters had eaten all the food in the house before going to the ball. Sundri’s stomach growled at her, demanding food. Dejected Sundri walked out of the house onto the empty streets in hope to tire herself into going to sleep without food again.

Having walked only a short while, Sundri spotted the mysterious building that always had the lights on and had the most welcoming feel to it. How she wished that she could sneak out during the day and just step inside the building once. Alas, her mean sisters always made sure she had not a minute to spare for herself. With a sigh she walked closer to the building, if only she could go in.

Daydreaming about the building she did not notice the beautiful mysterious man in blue standing outside the building, as if waiting for someone.
“Dear Daughter, where are you headed so late at night? You look as if you haven’t eaten in days…won’t you come in for a bite of food?”

Sundri looked down at her rags and back at the man in the most beautiful clothes, which could only belong to a king. How could the King be showing her compassion? Surely, she was imagining this man; it must be the hungry playing tricks on her mind.

“Dear Daughter, now come along, let’s get you fed and warmed up.” The King smiled down at her.

In a trance Sundri followed the King in as he led her into the kitchen where servants stood ready to serve her with the most delicious food she had ever seen in her life. She doubted if even the sisters had ever seen, let alone, tasted such delicious food. The King sat with her on the softest carpets in the world and watched as for the first time in years, she ate to her hearts content. After she finished eating, she was taken to a room to freshen up and wear new clothes gifted by the King.

As Sundri put on the most beautiful white dress gifted by the King and admired herself in the mirror. She looked even more beautiful than the mean sisters had when they got ready for the ball. Before she could wonder what it would have been like to go to the ball dressed in these new clothes, a beautiful lady walked in holding what looked like another present.

“Dear Daughter, won’t you wear your crown?” asked the mysterious lady, that surly had to be the queen herself.

“My crown?!?!” Sundri asked in disbelief, “but I didn’t go to the ball, how could I become a princess?”

“Dear Daughter, let me first help you with your crown and then you can ask all the questions you wish.” With that the queen took out a turban and began tying it around Sundri’s head.

Sundri looked at the queen, in disbelief but then she noticed the queen had one too, under the veil. ‘With this turban, I will truly look like a princess’, thought Sundri, ‘If only I was one in real, then I could go to the ball. The sisters must be having so much fun…’
“Dear Daughter, your turban is tied, grab your veil and let’s go; the King is waiting.”

They met the King outside in front of the room with the gold doors; Sundri wondered what wondrous treasure lie on the other side of the door.
“Dear Daughter, you must go inside alone but do not be scared. Go stand in front of the throne and ask all the questions you have on your mind. And you will get your answers.’ The King gave her a gentle push towards the doors.

Sundri filled with excitement and nervousness opened the doors to the most beautiful room she had ever seen. ‘Gosh’, she thought, ‘everything is more beautiful than I could ever imagine, I wonder if the ball is the same for sisters.’ In awe she walked towards the throne that was covered with all kinds of beautiful gold ornaments. The King and Queen might not have worn gold but their throne was covered with it.

Sundri had barely opened her mouth to begin questioning, ‘why she couldn’t go to the ball? Why she was named Sundri but always forced to be covered in cinder? Why? Why?’ But she never got a chance to ask her questions, a melodious voice sang out…

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
How can happiness be found, O my Siblings of Destiny?
How can the Lord, our Help and Support, be found? ||1||Pause||
There is no happiness in owning one's own home, in all of Maya,
or in lofty mansions casting beautiful shadows.
In fraud and greed, this human life is being wasted. ||1||
He is pleased at the sight of his elephants and horses
and his armies assembled, his servants and his soldiers.
But the noose of egotism is tightening around his neck. ||2||
His rule may extend in all ten directions;
he may revel in pleasures, and enjoy many women
- but he is just a beggar, who in his dream, is a king. ||3||
The True Guru has shown me that there is only one pleasure.
Whatever the Lord does, is pleasing to the Lord's devotee.
Servant Nanak has abolished his ego, and he is absorbed in the Lord. ||4||
This is the way to find happiness, O my Siblings of Destiny.
This is the way to find the Lord, our Help and Support. ||1||Second Pause||

Without asking, all her questions were answered. Sundri rushed out of the room searching for the king, the queen but neither was in sight.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: childrens story
January 20, 2011 08:03AM
This is a beautiful story! I love it! Looks like a re-make of the fairytale "Cinderella," but like a "Sikh" version. It's still good though. Keep up the awesome work!!! grinning smiley

Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!
January 20, 2011 08:17AM
Bhain Jee, I have not read your above post yet, but I would like to recommend:

"Warrior Princess" Parts I and II, written by (Bhai) Harjit Singh (Jee) published by Chattr Singh Jeevan Singh (Amritsar).

Gursikh showed this to me, it is wonderful and inspirational children's book directed at young Kaurs with great illustrations of Kaurs in Bana and Dastars. I strongly recommend it. Here is amazon link: [www.amazon.com] (do not buy from there though, arrange from India instead)
January 20, 2011 10:11AM
Haan ji it is a remake of cinderella but sikh version. I was thinking since they do have cinderella in so many different culture backgrounds, why not as a sikh?

thanks for your kind words
January 25, 2011 08:07AM
Bhenjee, someone sent me a link to this, and I remembered your story and thought that you might be interested:
[www.sikhnet.com]
January 29, 2011 01:18PM
generous story!!!.....keep up the good work!...smiling smiley

--
preetkhalsa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login