ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bloc proposes ban on Kirpan - most white/black/whatever Canadians agree.

I opened www.msn.ca this morning at work, and say a link posted on thier homepage.
There was a picture of someone wearing a kirpaan over his pant/shirt.
The question below the picture asks:
"Should this dagger be banned?"

I followed the link, and there were articles from almost every newspaper in Canada.

www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/01/20/16968441.html

[www.nationalpost.com]

The controversy was ignited when four Sikhs were denied entry into the Quebec legislature on Tuesday for carrying a kirpan, a religious object that is routinely carried by MPs such as Liberal Navdeep Bains.

Ironically, the Sikh group was invited to speak about reasonable accommodation for cultural beliefs at hearings on provincial legislation that would ban religious garments from covering the face of people receiving government services.

After the Parti Quebecois praised the actions of security workers at the national assembly, the party's sovereignist cousins in the Bloc Quebecois went a step further, proposing Wednesday that federal Parliament buildings should adopt similar policies.

"The national assembly's decision to prevent access to people carrying the kirpan is completely legitimate," said Bloc whip Claude DeBellefeuille in a statement. "It's a justified decision, and it's maybe time for Parliament to adopt similar rules."

But the thing that made me really upset about this whole thing, is that all accross the board on almost every single newpaper site that this issue is talked about, there are ONLY negative comments made towards Sikhs, and such disrespectful suggestions that we should carry rubber knives, since it's only a "Symbol"

This got me so worked up to the point where I actually joined a newspaper website to post a comment.

What do you all think? What's happening here... and why don't more of us get involved in creating a positive image of Sikhs among these "upper-class" white folk who totally dominate the news and media?!!!

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤੇਹ॥
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
It would be a good idea if Sikhs posted comments below these biased articles in order to educate the readers. When a reader reads only negative comments, their opinions get biased. A concerted effort is required to combat the negative publicity.

Kulbir Singh
we should also watch the debate video that happened recently
its very funny to see how ignorant some people are.
but also pretty scary to see this as well

[www.cbc.ca]
Now I might take some heat from this, but to be honest I really don't see ignorance from the other side. If Muslims were required to carried daggers for their religions, I'm pretty sure I'd be on the other side of the argument. It's hard really to justify Guru Sahibs hukams to normal people, in the end of the day, we have to realize that the government has given us a privilege and we should not take advantage of it. We have now been forced to tell people that it is "ceremonial" and is not a weapon, when in fact this is far from the truth. We all know what the real purpose of the Kirpan is. Guru Sahib blessed us with a Sri Sahib to defend the weak, and always remain tyar bar tyar, but obiously we can't go around telling people this in public.

The Kirpan debate has been brought up many times over the past year, and I don't think its going to go away. Unfortunately Kal Jug is only getting worse, and I don't see it too long before they ban the Kirpan in Parliament and other public places where we are still allowed to wear them. The bias of the media doesn't help either, who will do whatever they can to shed Sikhs in a bad light.
Thanks for posting the link, gsingh jeeo.

Tarek Fateh is really stupid and he does not have his facts straight.

May Vaheguru bless Michael Coren, who vociferously defended the right of Sikhs to wear Kirpan.

One thing is for sure. All Amritdharis need to realize that we are now living in a different world and while wearing Kirpan they must realize the responsibility that comes with it. The Kirpan attack of last year has really done a lot of damage to our community. Kirpan should be carried responsibly. We need to bring awareness in the Sikh community about never misusing our Kirpans.

In the end, this world belongs to Vaheguru who Himself has give us the Hukam to wear Kirpan. Vaheguru will Himself give us the strength and ability to fulfill his Hukams.

Kulbir Singh
Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Thanks gsingh jio for that link. It shows GOI agencies are greatly active to defy the images of Sikhs anywhere they could. I appreciate the Bhai Balpreet Singh Jee’s initiative to speak out against this ban; I think every Canadian Singh/Singhni should stand up against this motion. This Muslim guy Tarek Fatah is highly ignorant about kirpan and he is so desperate to ban it immediately. This is UN imaginable that a minority leader is against another minority in these countries. On the other hand person sitting on the left in think Michael Coren defended the Kirpan with well arguments. Mr. Fatah is keep saying that Kirpan was weapon of defense in 15th century and what is the use now, he is also saying Kirpan is banned in Lok Sabha and Panjab Vidhaan Sabha in India. All of his facts are wrong. Kirpan is not a dagger which he is kept repeating. Someone should tell him it not a dagger it is a ceremonial article of faith which is not just for self-defense but also required during congregation ceremonial services. If the self-defense was the sole reason for Guru Sahib then a Gun or pistol would be article of faith. Guns and pistols were there in 15th century but Guru Sahib gave kirpan for other reasons not just self-defense. Secondly daas is pretty sure kirpans are allowed in both Lokh Sabha, Panjab Vidaan Sabha and in air travel of Indian Airlines [www.sgpc.net].
Sardar Simranjit Singh maan in Indian parliament wearing kirpaan:

The only kirpan size which was not allowed is 3 feet one. Mr. Fatah tried to mention Sardar SimranJit Singh Maan’s case that he was not allowed in Lokh Sabha but this highly ignorant man should know Mr. Mann wanted to bring 3footi in Lokh Sabha and that is why he was not allowed in his first term of Member of Parliament.

One suggestion for Sikh leaders is that we should not call our 5 kakkar as symbols. They are article of faith. There is a huge difference between symbols and articles itself. Many of U.S based Sikh civil right organizations would never use this term as 5 symbols they will always say 5 articles of Sikh faith. Please someone do effort to bring this to Sardar Naveep Singh bains’s attention that he should use words Kirpan is article of Sikh faith instead of a symbol of Sikh Faith.May Guru Sahib do kirpa to overcome this new issue faced by Quebec Sikhs.

With Regards,
Daas
Tarek Fatah seemed like a sensationalist, he does the same thing to his own community: the Muslims. His arguments were not based on full facts, only half truths. He seems like a fanatical secularist who is against public display of one's religion. I think he belongs in Europe where such ideas are catching popularity instead of a traditionally accepting multicultural country like Canada.

Micheal Coren is obviously an informed man, and may Guru Jee bless him.
Waheguroo JI Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Ji Ki Fatheh!!!

Sadh Sangat jio! Also watch this following video of Bhai Balpreet Singh of Toronto, CANADA regarding the Kirpan case:

[www.youtube.com]

Waheguroo JI Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Ji Ki Fatheh!!!!!
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

[www.canhindu.com]

It seems that there are at least a certain section of Canadian Hindus that will not support you.

Highlighted to help identify the opponents. Amazing how Hindu armed with trishuls, and Hindus with tikkas and other sacred marks also commit terrorist acts, but this organization is not calling for their ban.

Typical...
Wow, first it was somehow getting organizations like Babbar Khalsa banned by claiming that they were "extremist groups", now even WSO theyre targeting.
It seems they just dont like Gursikhs.
JaspreetSingh Wrote:
> It seems they just dont like Gursikhs.
100% agreed thumbs up
E.g
my uncle was going to america and he was not allowed to cross the border because they thought he was a terrorist. A lot of people think people with dastaars are terrorists.

Sukhsehaj Kaur
With this becoming a controversial news item, I think this is a great opportunity for those of us who are students to start up Sikh awareness campaigns in our schools, i.e. discussion circles at universities, interesting seminars , even things like "Turban Tying Day"s are a good way to capture people's attention and have a chance to talk to and educate the public on a personal level, so they can become more tolerant towards the Sikh community.

With this becoming a controversial news item, I think this is a great opportunity for those of us who are students to start up Sikh awareness campaigns in our schools, i.e. discussion circles at universities, interesting seminars , even things like "Turban Tying Day"s are a good way to capture people's attention and have a chance to talk to and educate the public on a personal level, so they can become more tolerant towards the Sikh community.

SK ji, how will that help? Just how easy is it to explain religion to someone, who has no formal knowledge of Gursikhi? Tell me.
I know for me, it'll be a big challenge. In my humble opinion, I think we're just going to end up ridiculing ourselves. Someone who does not have Gursikhi written on their forehead, trying to explain to them, does not make sense. It is a waste of time!
Best thing to do is Japp Naam. Thats it! That is the only solution.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Ji Ki Fatheh
Sorry for drifting away from the keerpan issue.

Dass doesn't know if Veer Balpreet Singh uses this forum or not.

But Chatrik has this question for WSO/him:

It is understandable why Gursikhs/WSO will support the right for Muslim women to wear hijab, as it is a very respectable/modest wasy to dress up.

But why did WSO also supported the Niqab(face veil)?

Weren't the gursikhs in WSO were aware that veiled women were not allowed by Guru Amaar Dass jee in his darbar ?
In other this practise what rejected completely by Gurmat.
Yes, most of the women who might adopt Niqab in the west might do so as per their own will. But, this is due to them being 'brainwashed' by radicalized views/Muslims.
You can read here more:
[en.wikipedia.org]
It's prevalent only among Sunnis(still not accepted by all) and a must for Wahhabis in Saudi. It also depends on what school of thought of Islam that person perscribes to.

Chota veer
Chatrik jeeo,

The issue is not niqab but freedom to follow religion. WSO stood, not in favour of Niqab but in support of religious freedom in Canada. This stance is perfectly in accordance to Gurmat.

We all know that Janeoo was rejected by Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee when He refused to wear it but our Ninth Guru Sahib - Siri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib jee - accepted Shaheedi for the sake of Hindu's Tilak and Janjoo (janeoo). Siri Guru jee did not accept Shaheedi for Janjoo or Tilak but for the religious freedom of Hindus and against the tyranny of the Mughal government of the time. If the Sunnat of Muslims had been in danger, Siri Guru jee would have stood for it too, even though principally Gurmat is opposed to it. The issue is freedom to follow one's religion.

Kulbir Singh
JaspreetSingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With this becoming a controversial news item, I
> think this is a great opportunity for those of us
> who are students to start up Sikh awareness
> campaigns in our schools, i.e. discussion circles
> at universities, interesting seminars , even
> things like "Turban Tying Day"s are a good way to
> capture people's attention and have a chance to
> talk to and educate the public on a personal
> level, so they can become more tolerant towards
> the Sikh community.
>
> SK ji, how will that help? Just how easy is it to
> explain religion to someone, who has no formal
> knowledge of Gursikhi? Tell me.
> I know for me, it'll be a big challenge. In my
> humble opinion, I think we're just going to end up
> ridiculing ourselves. Someone who does not have
> Gursikhi written on their forehead, trying to
> explain to them, does not make sense. It is a
> waste of time!
> Best thing to do is Japp Naam. Thats it! That is
> the only solution.
>
> Bhul Chuk Maaf
>
> Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Ji Ki Fatheh

"aap japao avara naam japavho"

SK jio,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I agree with your idea there is no harm explaining others who the Sikhs are. Guru Sahib and Gursikhs of past have done it and we should inspire our young generation to also participate in this field where ever they are living. I cannot tell whether this will make a big difference to educate others but something is better than nothing. Just to encourage our brothers and sisters Daas is posting few pictures of a presentation just recently done in a school. Daas thanks to Sikh Coalition, United Sikhs and Dr. Gurparkash Singh for arranging presentation and representing on behalf of Sikh community.

With Regards,
Daas

School Principal Mrs. Campel, student, Daas, Dr. Gurparkash Singh Jee
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login