ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

creation of no SHH sound

Posted by bhai 
creation of no SHH sound
January 06, 2011 09:29PM
the damdami taksal promotes the rule of no shh sound in bani well obviously this cant be right but when and how did this start?
like who started it why? how did it get started?

does anyone know?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: creation of no SHH sound
January 06, 2011 09:46PM
the taksali style of santhiya is to pronounce gurbani exactly as it's written. since gurbani does not include any bindia, this means no "sh", no "z", etc. the theory behind it is that this way we won't make any mistakes in trying to add bindia, like adding them in the wrong place. it's good for beginners like me who don't have much knowledge of gurbani grammar.
January 06, 2011 10:40PM
1kaur
the theory behind it is that this way we won't make any mistakes in trying to add bindia,
is this an assumption?

please provide sources to prove your above claim
January 07, 2011 12:16AM
it's what i've been told by taksali singhs.

perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the board can verify.
January 07, 2011 07:32AM
VaaheguroojeekaakhalsaaVaaheguroojeekeefatehh...

well i think gurbani is a lot more than just reading it as the way its written... thats why proper santhiya of gurbaani is really important which is a loosing trend now... the only way we can understand gurbaani is by reading it in a proper way which can be done only if we have santhiya...

there are a lot of words in gurbani which have a totally different meaning when we add the bindees at the right place.. Im sure Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee can guide us more on this...

Bhulchuk dee khima..
January 07, 2011 07:33AM
This topic has been discussed here to some degree
January 07, 2011 10:47AM
i think the original question was WHY it's done that way (by some people), not whether it's right or wrong.
January 07, 2011 10:57AM
yes the taksal claims that there santhia has been coming down since guru gobind singh jee's time,

and we know that there is no proof, but thats another topic

i was just wondering how this idea of no shh sound got started
January 07, 2011 11:35AM
also can any taksali singh confirm what 1kaur bhainjee said?
January 07, 2011 12:24PM
What about Gurbani that is in the Farsi language? Since Gurbani is written in Gurmukhi script but if the Shabad is in Farsi, then surely the right Ucharan of farsi should be made. We have farsi words in both SGGSJ and Sri Dasam Granth and even in Sarbloh Granth. How do Sampradayak Singhs do ucharan of Farsi words in Jaap Sahib or when they read Zafarnama in Shri Dasam Granth because I have noticed they don't mind pronouncing SH or Z in the case of Jaap Sahib and Zafarnama.

Our Gurus were masters in Farsi and Sanskrit. Could you imagine Guru Gobind SIngh Jee not pronouncing Z or SH when speaking in farsi with Muslims? Do you think that when Aurangzeb read Zaffernama and was so highly impressed by Guru Jee's farsi, that farsi would not have included Z or SH sounds? When Guru Nanak Dev Jee went to Iran, middle east and Cenral Asia, could you imagine him not pronouncing Z and SH when speaking in Farsi, Arabi or Turki? Before the standardized Punjabi with Gurmukhi script started about a 100 years ago, it was widely understood amongst the educated class that certain letters like Jaja, Sasa, Kaka had dual sounds. Then later the bindi was added to Jaja, Sasa, Kaka in order to differentiate them and make it easier for the laymen reader.
January 08, 2011 08:17AM
To above I have heard many taksaal singhs use 'sh' and 'z' in dasam bania written in farsi. In aad Sri guru Granth sahib , when we learnt -bindias were added at the top but never at the bottom on the letters I.e sabad instead of shabad etc.
January 08, 2011 02:08PM
In Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, I was taught not to use any binidia i.e z, sh

However in Sri Dasam Granth I've only learned to use Bindia, in the bania that Guru Jee wrote in the farsi script such as zafarnama, only those bania do we add bindia.

If you want to read bania with bindia go for it. bani is above our understanding, and no one can be wrong, in their intrepatation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login