ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Names of Guru Gobind Singh Jee's animals

Posted by keodn 
Everyone knows that Guru Gobind Singh Jee kept a horse and a baaz (eagle or hawk). Surely Guru Jee must have had names for them. What were they?

And did Guru Jee have any other animals?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

And did Guru Jee have any other animals?

One animal of Guru Sahib is called Kulbir Singh.

Kulbir Singh.
Bhai Kulbir Singh ji, if you are an animal of Guru Sahib then I don't know what I could be classified as. You are Guru Sahib ji's beloved Gursikh just like many others on this forum smiling smiley
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > And did Guru Jee have any other animals?
>
>
> One animal of Guru Sahib is called Kulbir Singh.
>
>
> Kulbir Singh.

That makes me your animal
The baaz name was I think Rustam, and I think the horse was at times called Neela? Please correct if wrong.
Dilbagh and Gulbagh were the two horses of Shiri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji Maharaj.

And waheguru!
Thats utter nimarta Bhai Sahib!
calling urself an animal of Guru Sahib!
waheguru!
That's no Nimrata, Pyareo. To state the truth is not humility. Without Naam Abhyaas, one is definitely an Animal and Guru Sahib is full of Naam or you can say is form of Naam. And as per Gurbani we are His Dogs - Hum Kookar Tere Darbaar||

Kulbir Singh
waheguru waheguru
Reminds me of the sakhi where bhai nand lal wanted to be the dog that sat next to guru sahib......amazing how much love gursikhs have for their guru
Pitajee had many animals including but not limited to riding horses/war horses, mules, falcons/eagles/birds, hunting dogs, elephants, I don't think you will find anything about what he named them as it doesn't seem that important, but there's no harm in looking.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Jee also had a special haathi (elephant).

This haathi was a bheta from Raja Rattan Rai of Assam, he was the son of Raja Raam Rai, ruler of Assam. The Raja Raam Rai and his Rani had no children, so they approached Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib Jee to ask for blessing of son, of course our beloved dayaal kirpaal Satguru Jee fulfilled their wishes and Raja Rajjan Rai was the resultant offspring, as it would come to pass Raja Raam Rai died when his son Rattan Rai was just a young baby, but his mother, the Rani, raised the young prince with love and belief (prem and sharda) for Guru Ghar.

After hearing about greatness of Guru Jee from his mother, Raja Rattan Rai, who was around the same age of Guru Jee at this time (teens), made up his mind to travel to the Guru's own town of Sri Anandpur Sahib to have darshan. He took along 5 wonderful and valuable items which he wished to submit at the lotus feet of Satguru Jee, these were:

1. A unique 5-in-1 weapon consisting of pistol, sword, lance, dagger, and club.
2. A wonderful throne on which puppets popped out to play chess with.
3. Goblet made of precious metal.
4. 5 beautiful horses, with lovely saddles and clothes.
5. A magnificent black haathi.

Later on, after having darshan of Maharaaj Jee and spending 5 months with Satguru Jee at Sri Anandpur Sahib going on hunting expeditions, and having a great time in company of Guru Jee, Satguru Jee blessed Raja Rattan Rai Jee with Sikhi & Naam smiling smiley

The hathi was black all over its body except for a thin white stripe that went from the top of its trunk all the way down to the tip of its tail. This blessed haathi would perform seva of washing Guru Jee's charan with water from its trunk!! Vaah Vaah! Then it would then wipe Guru Jee's charan dry with a towel. It would also perform Chaur Sahib over Satguru Jee. The haathi would even go and fetch arrows that Maharaaj Jee would fire off and bring them back. Vaheguru, this wonderful haathi did more seva than useless pappis like me have ever done.

Sadly, this special haathi died during the 8 month siege of Sri Anandpur Sahib when food supplies got diminished. I don't know the name of it either, would be nice to hear if anyone knows.

Guru Jee even named their drum (nagaara) Ranjit, so surely they did name the animals too, and this, I believe, also proves names are significant.

Begging forgiveness for all mistakes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login