ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guru Amar Das Ji Sakhi on Rehras Sahib

Posted by jpsingh77 
Dear Sadh Sangat Ji,

I came across a reference to a Sakhi of the time of Guru Amar Das Ji regarding Rehras Sahib. I think it potrays if one doesn't do Rehras Sahib, he is thrown out of Dargah in the evening (something like that!).

Has anyone heard/read about this Sakhi? Can you please share the sakhi in detail please?

Thanks!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
wow
where do you get thrown out to in the evenings then?

what if you do your rehras sahibs path really late at night? is that bad?
I know for sure that there is such a sakhi...In fact it was referred to by Bhai Guriqbal Singh Ji during one of his kathas.
That's why I'm keen to know the details confused smiley

Anyone please?
jpsingh77 jeeo, I think Gyani Gurbachan Singh Jee has also mentioned this in the book Gurbani Paath Darpan, he said that one recites Sri Rehraas Sahib to not lose place in SachKhand. So I think it likely that it's based on this saakhi that you have mentioned.

Also, a point I would like to make, is that unfortunately, we may have this illusion that just because we are Amritdhari, we do 7 Banis Nitnem, 5 Kakkar Rehat etc that our place in SachKhand is guaranteed, but this is not the case at all. There is no guarantee, it's up to Satguru Jee.

The only way to ensure we go to SachKhand is to attain this spiritual level (of Jot Vigyaas or above) in this lifetime, otherwise we will just have to keep coming back. This might be hard to accept, but it's better than being deluded.

I came across a reference to a Sakhi of the time of Guru Amar Das Ji regarding Rehras Sahib. I think it potrays if one doesn't do Rehras Sahib, he is thrown out of Dargah in the evening (something like that!).

I don't know the basis of this Saakhi but something does not seem correct here. If a person does not do Siri Rehraas Sahib, then such person cannot reach Sachkhand at all. If we believe in this Saakhi, then we also have to believe that a person can reach Sachkhand, without doing his or her Nitnem.

Second thing is that, it is highly doubtful that there is any concept of day and night at Sachkhand. So residents of Sachkhand getting kicked out of Sachkhand at evening time does not seem to make too much sense.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Do not know about this kind of Sakhi, however, this is what Guru Sahib says who do not remember Waheguru jee:

ਜਿਨਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਕੀਤੀ ਰਾਤਿ ॥
ਖਸਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਹਿ ਤੇ ਕਮਜਾਤਿ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਵੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਸਨਾਤਿ ॥੪॥੩॥
(Panna 10)

Usually the Rehraas time is around sunset and we all know when sunsets it is night time. This change in the day is used by Guru sahib to remind us again that after hard work of the day before we go for a good eat and sleep we should remember Him who gave us this night to rest ਜਿਨਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਕੀਤੀ ਰਾਤਿ and Guru Sahib equates that Human being as a vile who forgot the Khasam (Waheguru) even this time of the day. Then Guru Sahib further states that without the naam one is of out caste wretches means should not be even called a human being.

In light of above Hukam in Rehraas itself, it can be wisely concluded that the Sikh who doesn’t do Rehraas is a vile and who do not remember naam at all is out casted wretch. So, the best thing is after sun sets one should try to do Rehraas as soon as possible no matter where we are, what we are doing and remember to do naam jaap 24/7.

Bhul Chuk di Khima,

With Regards,
Daas
thank you..
"jpsingh77 jeeo, I think Gyani Gurbachan Singh Jee has also mentioned this in the book Gurbani Paath Darpan, he said that one recites Sri Rehraas Sahib to not lose place in SachKhand. So I think it likely that it's based on this saakhi that you have mentioned."

Bhai Sahib,

I dont know the authenticity of the mentioned Sakhi, but one thing is for sure that without Naam given by Guru Sahib one can never escape lakh Chrausee and enter Sach Khand. Even if one does Nitnem including Rehras on dailiy basis; without the recitation of Naam one loses this gifted Gursikh life and comes back again.
ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਜੀਵਨੁ ਬਿਰਥਾ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Does this mean that all we need to do is recite Naam, and avoid other rehats like doing Nitnem? Of course not, Nitnem is a blessing from Guru Sahib and is a the major aide to doing Naam Abhyiaas. According to Bhai Gurdas Ji, reciting Rehras has been a Gurmat tradition to do "Sodar- Rehars" since the times of Pehli Paatshaah.

ਸੋਦਰ ਆਰਤੀ ਗਾਵੀਐ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਉਚਾਰਾ
They would sing/recite Sodar ( Rehras) and Aarti , and start with Naam Abhyiaas in the early hours.
BHai Gurdas Ji Vaaran

One cannot even take their daily meals with the recitation of Rehras.

ਪ੍ਰਾਤਾ ਕਾਲ ਗੁਰ ਗੀਤ ਨ ਗਾਵੈ। ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਬਿਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜੋ ਖਾਵੈ।ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਭ੍ਰਮਤਾ ਫਿਰੈ। ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਜਗ ਜਨਮੈ ਮਰੇ।
He who does not sing Gurbani in the early hours, and eats without reciting Rehras will remain lost in the cycle of birth and death over and over.
- Bhai Prahalad Singh Ji Rehatnamey

However, if one is doing Rehras without serving Guru Sahib via Naam Abyiaas then their life is still cursed.
ਜੋ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੇ ਖਾਦੇ ਪੈਨਦੇ ਸੇ ਮੁਏ ਮਰਿ ਜੰਮੇ ਕੋੜ੍ਹੇ ॥”
One who eats and puts on their clothes without Naam Abhyiaas then they will reborn numerous times as lepers.

So doing rehras or all Nitnem alone does not take one to Sach Khand. Nitnem must be done simultaneously with Naam Abhyiaas.If we are doing Gurbani paath/nitnem but are not following its Hukum of doing Naam Abhyiaas then we are no different then ritualistic priest like the Brahmins who recite their prayers without the blessings of Naam.

ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਬਿਰਥੇ ਜਗਿ ਜਨਮਾ ॥
ਬਿਖੁ ਖਾਵੈ ਬਿਖੁ ਬੋਲੀ ਬੋਲੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਿਹਫਲੁ ਮਰਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਪੁਸਤਕ ਪਾਠ ਬਿਆਕਰਣ ਵਖਾਣੈ ਸੰਧਿਆ ਕਰਮ ਤਿਕਾਲ ਕਰੈ ॥
ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕਹਾ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਉਰਝਿ ਮਰੈ ॥੨॥

Without the Lord's Name, birth into the world is useless.Without the Name, the mortal eats poison and speaks poisonous words; he dies fruitlessly, and wanders in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||The mortal may read scriptures, study grammar and say his prayers three times a day.Without the Word of the Guru's Shabad, where is liberation, O mortal? Without the Lord's Name, the mortal is entangled and dies. ||2||

In the past, Brahmins would recite their holy prayers 3 times a day. 10 minutes before and after Sunrise, 10 minutes before and after noon ( around 12 pm) , and 10 minutes before and after Sunset. This practice was called Trikaal Sandhiya/TeenKaal Sandhiya ( 3-times Meditation). The Brahmins did this as a way to worship Vishnu and they believed by doing so all their desires will be fulfilled .They also believed that doing prayers during these times was most beneficial in opening up the center nerve (Sushumana) which lies between Ida and Pingala. According to above Pauri, does this mean Guru Sahib was against the practice of setting out a specific times for prayers ? Of course not, in fact Guru Sahib to has recommended his Gursikhs to do TriKaal Sandhyia which is in accordance to Gurmat. That is recite Gurmat prayers during these three times simultaneously with Naam Abhyiaas; thus, comings and goings well end and we will enter Sach Khand.

ਤੀਨ ਕਾਲ ਮੇਂ ਨਾਮ ਜਪੁ, ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਕਟ ਫਾਸਿ
In the three times ( AmritVela, Noon, and Sunset) recite Naam thus you will end the cycle of births and deaths.
Bhai Daya Singh Ji Rehatnamey

As Gursikhs we do not follow the Hindu Method of observing prayers 10 minutes before and after prayer times. For Amrit Vela we wake up 3 hours before sunrise.
ਅਤੇ ਸਿਖ ਨੂੰ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਪਹਿਰ ਰਾਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾਂ ਉਠੇ, ਉਠ ਕੇ ਇਸਨਾਨ ਕਰੈ। ਅਤੇ ਜਪੁ ਤੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਪੜ੍ਹੈ ਦੋਵੈਂ ਅਤੇ ਦਾਤਣ ਕਰੇ।
Bhai Nand Lal Ji rehatnamey

For Noon prayers we do anytime around noon time (12-1pm) when we have a break from our work.
ਜੋ ਦੋਇ ਪਹਿਰ ਦਿਨੁ ਆਇਆ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਫੇਰਿ ਹਥ ਪੈਰ ਗੋਡਿਆ ਤਕ ਧੋਇ ਕਰਿ, ਇਕ ਵੇਰੀ ਜਪੁ, ਜਾਪੁ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਪੜੈ, ਫੇਰ ਕਿਰਤਿ ਕਰੈ
Prem Sumrag Rehatnama

and for Rehras Sahib we do 45 minutes before the Sunsets.

ਜਬ ਦੁਇ ਘੜੀ ਰਹੇ ਦਿਨੁ ਤਾਂ ਸੋ ਦਰੁ ਰਹਿਰਾਸ ਨਾਲ, ਅਠੇ ਪਹਿਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਾਲ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰੇ। ਜੇ ਕੋ ਏਹੁ ਰਹਤ ਕਮਾਵੈਗਾ, ਸੋ ਏਥੇ ਭੀ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ ਅਰੁ ਅਗੈ ਭੀ ਸੁਖ ਨਾਲਿ ਰਹੈਗਾ।"
Bhai Nand Lal Ji rehatnama

In addition , like the Hindus one does not: using breathing techniques, other mantras and tantras, directions of sun and moon to open up central nerve in attempt to reach the Dasam Duaar and higher levels of spirituality. In Gurmat, Gursikhs use Guru -Shabad ( Gurus word/mantra given at Initiation) along with Gurbani paath to reach higher levels of spirituality. Yes, ideally we are suppose to do Naam Abhyiaas 24/7, but having prayers sessions along with Naam Abyiaas for three times a day ( early morning, noon, and evening) in addition to Kirtan Sohila helps us build loving devotion for Naam. It is through thise daily practice/ Bhagti sessions that we get intuned to Naam.

So without naam given by Guru Sahib via Panj Pyaarey in addition to Nitnem how can we expect to take plight in AmarPuri ( Sach Khand)?Bhai Nand Lal Ji has mentioned that one must follow the Sikh routine which includes both Nitnem and Naam Abhyiaas to get entrance into Sach Khand . Such an entrance to GurPuri should be the desired goal for each Gursikh to reach while in this life.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login