ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ghee and bibek

Posted by Theguptone 
ghee and bibek
October 21, 2010 05:45PM
When following bibek to gursikhs buy ghee from outside or always make it themselves?
Also, I have seen that some store bought ghee have an added ingredient 'ethyl butyrate', so that can't be bibek. And another thing is I have seen most ghees that are used even in Gurdwara Sahib don't have a vegetarian sign. Is this ghee acceptable?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: ghee and bibek
October 21, 2010 07:52PM
Traditionally, using Bazari Gheo has been acceptable for Bibek Singhs but now with the advent of synthetic gheo and gheo containing many impurities, this stance of Singhs should be revisited and a Vichaar should be done on this. Normally, it is most appropriate to make your own gheo from Butter. It does not take too long to make and is not very hard to make either.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
October 21, 2010 09:10PM
What about making butter? For someone not married and working its difficult to make their own butter all the time. According to another post if one uses store butter they are a pakhandi?
October 22, 2010 02:42AM
Sukhdeep Singh jio, please provide a link to this post.
One can buy desi gheo or unsalted butter, instead of salted butter. Salted butter cannot be used in degh, proving it is not bibek.
October 27, 2010 10:53PM
It's so easy to make gheo from butter, it can be done right before making degh.
November 13, 2010 09:14AM
thank you bhai sahib kulbir singh ji for your post, and sorry for my late reply.
I think I have to agree with this, these days it is too hard to trust these companies. I wish that jatha atleast was centralised in someways so as to spread out these messages to gursikhs to make life a little easier...
November 13, 2010 11:27AM
In the UK, at the time of writing "Consumer's Pride brand of Desi Ghee is 100% butter fat (not 98 or 99% like some other brands), without any weird ingredients of ethyl butyrate etc, and it has the vegetarian logo as well:

So I think that would be fine for usage by all the Gursikhs
November 13, 2010 12:07PM
I agree with Bhai Kulbir Singh ji. It is most appropriate to make gheo at home from butter. There is no need to use store made gheo when we're able to make it ourselves at home. If the option of making it at home wasn't availble, then it would be fine to use bazari gheo.

In our home, we have been making gheo for many decades now. You can make your own butter from cream or use butter from the store to make homemade gheo in sarbloh.
November 13, 2010 12:21PM
Thank you bhai sahib jaskirat singh ji!! this is excellent news. I was starting to lose hope.
But still like I said in my last post, the full benefit will be if we can get this out to all the sangat or at least in jatha to start with. Its so hard passing up langar and degh because of being unsure of things like this.
November 15, 2010 05:50AM
I know some of the singhs i know they get butter tikkis that are organic and suitable for vegetarians and from that they make own ghee/kio by melt the butter and when the salt falls to the bottom and the ghee/kio (basically the clear part which is used for degh) they scoop the good stuff out and put it in a sarbloh garva to use for degh.

The gursikh who told me this doesnt do it know but wishes me to do it so I do this especially for degh.

I agree that our jatha gursikhs should do vichar whether to use bazari ghee or not or what is acceptable.
November 16, 2010 11:58PM
FYI- unsalted butter sits on the grocery shelf right next to the salted stuff. if you buy unsalted in the first place, there's no need to try to separate the salt. smiling smiley
as far as i know, ghio should always be made from unsalted butter.
November 17, 2010 02:15AM
I use unsalted butter but I still do the same process of melting it and separating the "good" kio i.e the clear liquid from the "bad" kio i,e the mushy stuff lol its hard to describe it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login