ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Basic Cookie Recipe

Posted by sk 
Basic Cookie Recipe
March 04, 2011 09:52AM
With Guru sahib's kirpa, many people who have come to this forum are becoming bibeki's. We should have the resolve to stay true to rehit, no matter how hard it is... Even if you are a highly incompetent cook.

If you ARE a highly incompetent cook and currently unmarried, then this recipe is perfect for you.

Whole wheat cookies

Ingredients:
1 and 1/3 cups of whole wheat (it will be helpful to have an actual measuring cup)
1/4 cup maida
A little baking powder... The original recipe says 1 teaspoon (but you could probably even choose not to use baking powder)
1 cup sugar

Mix these ingredients up well

Then, mix in five BIG spoonfuls of gheo
Also add add 1/3 cup of milk and continue to mix

You can do lots with this dough. If it is fairly wet, it will be good for making really nice, chewy cookies, just roll into small balls and bake for 15 mins at 350 degrees... Make sure to take out while still very soft so they can harden on their own. You can also roll out the dough and cut out biscuits. If the dough is harder, you can shape them into animals...............
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Basic Cookie Recipe
March 04, 2011 10:30AM
ਬਹੁਤ ਕੰਮ ਦੀ ਗੱਲ ਕੀਤੀ ਹੈ, ਐਸ.ਕੇ. ਜੀਓ!

ਸ਼ਾਬਾਸ਼!!

ਹੁਣ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਕੇ ਇਹ ਦੱਸੋ, ਸਾਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਕੁਕੀਆਂ ਛਕਾਉਗੇ ਕਦੋਂ?

ਕੁਲਬੀਰ ਸਿੰਘ
March 04, 2011 11:45AM
Thanks for this "sk" bhainji!

I just tried this out and it worked great! It took no more than 20minutes to complete the whole process.

I added crushed 'Laichees' (Cardamons) into the mixture to get the "Attay valay biscuits" taste you get in India.

March 04, 2011 12:47PM
Vaheguroo!! Jadoo vee Guru Sahib baksh bakshoongey!
But for now, since Amritvela bhenjee/veerjee has baked up a batch, we will ask them to send us all some smiling smiley
March 06, 2011 09:34PM
One side note:
sk ji, you mentioned that you don't have to put baking powder at all. I think it would actually be better to put some at least (about how much the recipe calls for). Baking powder helps the cookies to rise, so they don't taste like kacha atta, as well, they make them softer.

Also, adding a few spoonfuls of dhee (yogurt) makes them softer! It's also a good replacement for eggs in cookies. In other baked goodies, I personally prefer using either egg replacer, or a mixture you can create to substitute for one egg.

Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!
March 07, 2011 11:48AM
Thanks for the advice bhenjee. I've made cookies without baking powder before for a keertan, and sangat loved them... But you have to monitor them more, i.e. Flip them and re-mould them once you take them out of the oven so they can harden properly. Thanks for the tip on dahee... This recipe would also go great with coconut!
March 07, 2011 12:23PM
Interesting to see that some of the poets here are also excellent cooks. winking smiley
March 07, 2011 12:44PM
VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaa! VaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!

I made these cookies last night, and they came out great! I followed the recipe as sk posted it, using 1 tsp baking powder, and they are nice and crisp on the edges, but soft and chewy in the middle. Now I have a snack to take to work this week!

I realized why they smell and taste so good: 3 of the ingredients are just like making degh--> gheo, khand, ataa. Also gave me a chance to do sudhaayee of some thaals which I haven't used in a while, used to bake the cookies on. Thanks! Post more recipes for us beginners if you can, please.

VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaa! VaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!
Tarnveer Singh
March 08, 2011 09:58AM
Sounds good will give it a try when I get time smiling smiley would be nice with some cold milk in a HUGE bata vahegurooo
January 12, 2012 04:34PM
This recipe has saved my life whilst being in university and keeping Sarbloh Bibek. smiling smiley Thank you to the original poster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login