ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New To Forum!

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
New To Forum!
October 27, 2010 10:00AM
Vaheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Ji Ki Fateh!!

Dass has just joined today to get Sangat of more Gursikhs! Dass was on aother Sikh forum before but too many dodgey bandeh on there!

My first question is...
How long does it take to learn Punjabi/Gurmukhi? Dass really has a thirst for learning it, and also if anyone knows any good websites to learn from?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: New To Forum!
October 27, 2010 11:02AM
You could buy books on amazon.com on how to learn punjabi. Not sure about websites, sorry.
October 27, 2010 01:38PM
These could be helpful

[www.punjabonline.com]

[www.sikhpoint.com]

[www.maa.com.au]

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
October 27, 2010 02:40PM
Welcome to the forum "Dhan Guroo Nanak" jee smiling smiley

I personally would recommend the first thing you try and do is go to to Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib right outside of which is a Gurdwara Sahib and Sarovar called Sri Lekhtsar Sahib, this is where Guru Jee after finishing narrating Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee to Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Jee threw the quills into the sarovar and at that time it is said that Guru Jee did a bachan that whoever comes here and takes ishnaan in the sarovar and writes the Penti (35 Gurmukhi Alphabets) will automatically be blessed with Gurmukhi Vidhiya (knowledge). There is a sandpit made right outside the entrance to the darbar of Sri Lekhtsar Sahib where one can write the alphabets by hand in the sand. In the days gone by of Taksaal, the elder Singhs would take all the young new student bhujangis (baby Singhs) and get them to do this before starting Santhiya.

For online resources please check the following:

Let's Learn Punjabi
Punjabi Primer e-Book
Bal Updesh Book & Corresponding Audio

I hope the above is helpful jee
October 27, 2010 09:45PM
Jaskirat Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome to the forum "Dhan Guroo Nanak" jee smiling smiley
>
> I personally would recommend the first thing you
> try and do is go to to Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib
> right outside of which is a Gurdwara Sahib and
> Sarovar called Sri Lekhtsar Sahib, this is where
> Guru Jee after finishing narrating Sri Guru Granth
> Sahib Jee to Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Jee threw the
> quills into the sarovar and at that time it is
> said that Guru Jee did a bachan that whoever comes
> here and takes ishnaan in the sarovar and writes
> the Penti (35 Gurmukhi Alphabets) will
> automatically be blessed with Gurmukhi Vidhiya
> (knowledge). There is a sandpit made right outside
> the entrance to the darbar of Sri Lekhtsar Sahib
> where one can write the alphabets by hand in the
> sand. In the days gone by of Taksaal, the elder
> Singhs would take all the young new student
> bhujangis (baby Singhs) and get them to do this
> before starting Santhiya.
>
> For online resources please check the following:
>
> Let's Learn Punjabi
> Punjabi Primer e-Book
> Bal Updesh Book & Corresponding Audio
>
> I hope the above is helpful jee

lol Veer Ji were you trying to be funny with this advice or were you serious?confused smiley
Reply Quote > I ...&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgurmatbibek.com%2Fforum%2Fread.php%3F3%2C8571%2C8584%23msg-8584" target="_blank">TweetFacebook
October 28, 2010 05:36AM
Whats so funny?
October 28, 2010 06:06AM
Bhai Jaskirat Singh jio, I think you mean Gurdwara Likhansar Sahib at Sri DamDama Sahib.

[www.sikhiwiki.org]
October 28, 2010 08:59PM
Mehtab Singh Wrote:
> Whats so funny?

I think it would be funny to assume one can learn Gurmukhi knowledge by writing in the sand. Just like I believe its funny how people believe if they visit Sach Khand before their 65 they will go to Sach Khand. I have seen monay who actually believe this and go to Sach Khand to get mukhti, lol. These stories are as real as the Santa Clause living in the North Pole.

No offense to anybody if someone wants to go to DamDama Sahib for such purposes then you should go by all means . Damdama Sahib is an important place but unfortunately many people dont visit this place so they need more tourist.

Guru Sahib has already told us one gains knowledge of Gurmukhi from learning by Learned Gursikhs and ones parents. In addition, to these methods one can learn from reading books by Gurbani scholars. I really dont think writing in sand is going to make one a giani. We need to be practical and make efforts to learn Gurbani.

again sorry if I offended anyone.
October 28, 2010 10:28PM
What about Sahib Sri Guru Harkishan Sahib Jee Maharaj doing kirpa on Chhajjoo and making him recite the meanings of the Geeta?

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਵਡ ਸਮਰਥਾ
October 29, 2010 10:46AM
Guru Sahib can do as he wishes. He blessed Chaajjoo with gyan to prove to the arrogant Brahmin that he was the True Guru and the Brahmin had no knowledge.

Why would Guru Sahib say write in sand in you will get Divine Knowledge instantly? There is a maryada to learn Gurbani I dont see the point of excepting tales that dont support the traditional and most practical apporach to doing things.
October 29, 2010 12:58PM
Veer Jee I was serious with the post, was not trying to be funny. I have been told this saakhi by several Gursikhs and personally believe this saakhi is 100% true and valid and that Guru jee's bachans will always get fulfilled. I did not mention they would learn instantly, but even that for Guru Jee is no big deal. However if someone can prove beyond all doubt that this saakhi is false, then I will reconsider.

Amritvela jee, hanjee you are 100% correct sorry for my mistake, the name of the Gurdwara Sahib is Sri Likhansar Sahib not Lekhtsar.
October 29, 2010 01:29PM
Jaskirat Singh Wrote:
> Veer Jee I was serious with the post, was not
> trying to be funny. I have been told this saakhi
> by several Gursikhs and personally believe this
> saakhi is 100% true and valid and that Guru jee's
> bachans will always get fulfilled. I did not
> mention they would learn instantly, but even that
> for Guru Jee is no big deal. However if someone
> can prove beyond all doubt that this saakhi is
> false, then I will reconsider.
>
> Amritvela jee, hanjee you are 100% correct sorry
> for my mistake, the name of the Gurdwara Sahib is
> Sri Likhansar Sahib not Lekhtsar.

Sorry for the misunderstanding . Could you provide the source in which the Sakhi has come from

thanks
October 29, 2010 02:20PM
That's no problem Veer Jee. I don't have any knowledge of historical Granths, documents and whatnot jee so I can't provide any sources, please accept my apologies. I thought it's quite a well known saakhi. Usually I believe any saakhi/story without question if I think it ok with Gurmat.
October 29, 2010 03:36PM
The Following lines are present in Gurbilas Patshahi 10 related to this place:

This is the Kashi of the Guru, the school of learning.
It always waits on its toes for the wise.
Pilgrims bow their heads to the 35 Gurmukhi alphabet.
The light wells up from each letter with rare meanings.
Miracles happen all the time they are never history.
And the myth is transformed into truth.
In the windstorm of falsehood, it’s darkness at noon.
Out of dust clouds appear the friendly faces.
All happens in the present moment of time.
In a scratch three centuries shrink into a second.
The Kalghidhar(Guru Gobind Singh) sits by the pond of Likhansar.
He dips the reed-pen in the ink divine then puts the first letter.
He sharpens the reeds and throws them in the pond.
They have holy dip praising the Lord.
The satguru answers to congregation’s bewilderment:
The reeds are the seeds of knowledge and contemplation.
For the Sikhs I sharpen the reeds and offer them to the water.
To reach generations of my Sikhs to come.*
Deep Singh and Mani Singh’s calligraphy is like pearls stringed.
How fortunate they are they trace the first word.
This pen is like khandā the double edged sword.
It cuts many ways it’s hard to fathom its essence.
Bhai Mani Singh laid down his life mangled bone by bone.
and Deep Singh, they say, died holding his severed head on his left hand and the khandā in the right.
In the congregation I stand with folded hands
With apprehension waiting for the gift of the pen.
A fire burns in my heart that I keep my promise.
I seek no deliverance save the love for the word.
With nervous hand I put the first letter on earth-paper.
I’ll need many an incarnation to learn, unlearn and then learn again.
October 29, 2010 03:57PM

Guru Sahib can do as he wishes. He blessed Chaajjoo with gyan to prove to the arrogant Brahmin that he was the True Guru and the Brahmin had no knowledge.

Why would Guru Sahib say write in sand in you will get Divine Knowledge instantly? There is a maryada to learn Gurbani I dont see the point of excepting tales that dont support the traditional and most practical apporach to doing things.

Since Guru Sahib can do as He pleases, He can very well bless anyone with giyaan even by writing in sand. Japji Sahib stresses repeatedly that our efforts are of no use unless Vaheguroo does kirpa on us, so there, that is what Gurbani says about effort. In Sikhi, nothing at all can be achieved without kirpa. Sahib Sri Guru Amar Das Patshah Jee Maharaj asked Bhai Jetha jee to build a wall 7 times. Why would Guru Sahib ask His Sikh to do such a thing? Who are we to question “why would Guru Sahib do this? why that?”

Veer jee, I know for a fact that you have a lot more giyaan about Gurbani and Gurmat than I could ever gather, and there is no question in my mind that I may never be able to match the level of Rehit you adhere to and maintain. I am not trying to argue with you or get back at you. There is not just one way to see things in Sikhi (as far as I know and I could be wrong). Even Gurbani has loads of translations by different individuals based on their avastha and the amount of kirpa on them.

bhul chuk maaf
October 29, 2010 06:01PM
Veer Ji im In agreement with you that Guru Sahib can do anything and nobody has the right to question his doings.What Im questioning is the stories fabricated by historians and people. Some historians say Guru Sahib had more then one wife , ate meat, etc Should we believe these historians?

People tell me that Guru Sahibs says if I go to HazoorSahib before im 65 then I will go to Sach Khand. Should I believe this ? I have no doubts that Guru Sahib could do such a thing, but I have doubts that Guru Sahib would say such a thing because Guru Sahib has already laid out a path on how to get to Sach Khand which takes both kirpa and rigorous effort. Same with the story about writing in the Sand. I have no doubts that Guru Sahib can bless a person person for writing in sand, but would Guru Sahib say such a thing since he has already stated the methods as to how one gets knowledge?

Also,I have no real knowledge of Gurbani nor do I have any level of rehat. I only try to follow Guru Sahibs teachings with the small understanding I have. When I started keeping my kes and did not understand Naam philosophy I too use to believe in this story. In fact, I went to DamDama Sahib and wrote in the sand ( hand Hand). I did other things in Punjab ( Nanaksar Gurdwara) which are not in accordance with Gurmat because I did not understand the power of Naam. In my brief study of Sikhi I have come to the conclusion that blind rituals have no place in Sikhi. Again, if someone wants to write in sand to gain knowledge they have every right too. Perhaps Guru Sahib will bless them for their innocence the same way he blessed Bhagat Dhanna Ji. smiling smiley
October 30, 2010 08:58PM

Perhaps Guru Sahib will bless them for their innocence the same way he blessed Bhagat Dhanna Ji. smiling smiley
grinning smiley
November 02, 2010 11:34PM
welcome to the forum. in my experience (from a non-punjabi background), gurmukhi lipi is easy to learn, punjabi language is harder to learn. you can learn gurmukhi at any gurdwara. the teachers are usually happy to let you in class with the kids (if you don't mind), and they will have children's boooks for learning the script as well. other people have given good online sources. the secret is to practice a lot, even though it's slow and you know it would be faster to read in english, just stick with it and practice gurmukhi.

as for learning passable speaking punjabi, i can't help you, as i haven't mastered it myself. smiling smiley i think a formal class is best for this, i've been trying to learn on my own and i just wind up speaking like a little kid. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login