ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Misuse of Baana

Posted by Gursimran Singh 
Misuse of Baana
August 07, 2010 06:57PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

First of all I want to say that I am embarrased for bringing this up because Singhs that know me personally know that I am in no position to judge others, but, I have been wanting to get it out of me.

So here it goes.

I see a lot of youth these days that seem like they dont know what they are doing is not Sikhi. (I am only talking about those that have been given Amrit.)

There's way too many kids these days wearing Dumaaley. I am happy for those that are actually excited about wearing Dumaaley and do feel Anandpur Sahib dee spirit. My problem is with the kids that could start wearing pink Puggan tommorow if it was trendy. Yes, that is why A LOT of people wear Dumaaley today. Dont get me wrong I am in no way disrespecting Nihung Singhs here it only goes out to a few from the jatha I am from.
Maharaj Jee told his Sikhs to wear baanay and Dumaaley, and I understand, the Bhujangi Fauj should be doing it because its our duty to show the worrier side. But if you are wearing it for the wrong reasons, because dumaaley look cool from the side, than you will go off track (and probably already have).
Some guys wear Dastaars with 'Dumaala-ness' to it and I find that really annoying. They are what I call the pretty ones. Either wear a full size dumaala or dont. They are the ones that look perfect on Ran Sabayees. They will also put on cologne. Honestly tell me why someone needs to wear a perfume to smaagams (one good reason I can think of is to look attract to the opposite sex). So, noone needs to wear cologne to kirtan.

Then theres the gangsters. These are the guys that act really bad at Gurdwaray and Nagar Kirtans, but sadly thats only where they act gangster.
They somehow feel that once they put on their Cholay, now that are bad. Especially if you wear blue, you should know you are wearing Guru Sahib's favourite colour. But a lot of people just act really aggressive in cholay. It's one thing if you really are, but dont put up an act if its otherwise.
Look at the elder Sikhs from AKJ, there's Bhai Jeevan Singh ji's photos with baana, and look how humble he looks. But some people wear baana for there own selfish reasons. They just put it on to enhance there looks. Lets stop that and live lives worthy of looking like Khalsa and than, there's no problem.

I know I am probably narrow minded and dont have much sense, and am probably judging some people for no reason, but I think this is what we can improve on.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Misuse of Baana
August 09, 2010 04:05AM
Wah, Bhai Saab Jio. You got daas's total agreement in all points.
Re: Misuse of Baana
October 17, 2010 02:01PM
lol i agree. it is true, and you know you can always tell who's wearing it with the right intentions too. it makes me very sad when i see people wearing dumallay and saying the most disgusting things. i feel grossed out.

on the other hand some people wear dumallay and do amazing kirtan and sewa and to merely sit in their presence is blissful. these guys are the ones who should keep wearing dumallay.

as for perfume. i wear perfume to skool, work, before going to sleep ( n only my fav perfume that is people!!winking smiley)..n i wear it the gurdwara too. i wear it for myself though. so i don't know sad smiley never thought it would annoy somebody else or make them think i was trying to be seductive or something lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login