ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this an isult?

Posted by Leafy 
Is this an isult?
October 11, 2010 12:29AM
WJKK WJKF

I felt really hurt when I heard my cousin refer to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj as being a book. I told him not to refer to Maharaj and he still continued to call Maharaj a book again. It hurt even more. Now I don't even feel like looking at his face or talking to him.

Isn't it an insult to call Maharaj that??? Or am I wrong?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Is this an isult?
October 11, 2010 08:05AM
WaheGuruJiKaKhalsa ll WaheGuruJiKiFateh ll

you are abosolutely right Leafy ji. Someone who doesnt understand who Guru Maharaaj is, is downright an idiot.
You have two options:
1) Either sit down with him and try to explain what the word"Guru" really means and why its wrong to consider Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaaj as merely a book.
2) or break off all contact with him so his words wont influence u.

The rest is up to you.

WaheGuruJiKaKhalsa ll WaheGuruJiKiFateh ll
October 11, 2010 10:36AM
Leafy jee, it is not uncommon for normal people to think that Guru Sahib Jee is a book, as it may look that way to them, but the Gursikhs know Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is the jadgijot (lit light?) of Vaheguru Jee and so they consider and respect as such. Even such misfortunate people who had the privilege to be on this Earth at the same time as Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee said that Guru Jee was mad and crazy and openly denounced and slandered them. It is difficult to explain to such people that Guru Maharaaj Jee is not a holy book in a similar way to the Bible, Quran, Torah etc

I think whether or not it was intended insult depends on the context in which it was used for example "Nothing but a book..." would clearly be grave insult but "The holy book of the Sikhs.." would be different scenario.
October 13, 2010 12:00AM
It is no surprise if somebody says Gurbani as Book. This is what one sees with physical eyes. They do not lie, this is what they see. And I personally feel that it is the biggest task for most of us too, to see Guru in The Book. Most of us say it, but fail in practice. With the blessings of the Guru Himself we are able to see Guru therein.

ਪੋਥੀ ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਕਾ ਥਾਨੁ ॥
pothhee paramaesar kaa thhaan ||
This Holy Book is the home of the Transcendent Lord God.

Guru Sahib Himself use the word POTHI.

The biggest project for Humanity to accomplish is to find God in it. It is not easy job without the blessings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login