ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sikhs of Guru Nanak

Posted by MB Singh 
Sikhs of Guru Nanak
October 01, 2010 10:14AM
Many a times, some of our community, try to prove the sikh way of life, as taught by Guru Nanak Dev Sahib, to be slightly/considerably different from that of Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji. The former being easy, more convenient, universal and rational. They want to escape the Amritdhari way of life. They say that Guru Nanak Peer of Muslims and Nanak Lama of Tibet people prove that Guru Nanak Sahib was their Guru as well. Based on this logic, a sikh was also saying that no. of sikhs of Guru Nanak Dev Sahib was much more than of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

It was not so. How to prove that? What can be said, in this context? Sangat Ji, kindly give your views.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sikhs of Guru Nanak
October 01, 2010 12:08PM
First of all, these people are oblivious to the fact that Sikhs have just ONE Guru, not 10, not 11, just ONE Pooran SatGuru who took 10 human forms and now is in the form of Shabad Guru. Secondly, they don’t know that at the Vasakhi of 1699, 80,000 Sikhs reached Siri Anandpur Sahib. I have yet to see anywhere else in world history where this magnitude of a crowd (Sangat in this case) gathered after being summoned by someone they looked upon as their Divine Savior. Thirdly, none of the Guru Sahibaan were trying to gain followers. All those who came to them were spiritually thirsty souls who could sense that here is where their burning spiritual needs can be fulfilled, therefore comparing number of followers of Pehle Patshah and Dasve Patshah doesn’t even make any sense to begin with.

It is also incorrect to think that Sahib Siri Guru Nanak Dev Jee Maharaj’s teachings were more convenient than those of Sahib Siri Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaj. Pehle Patshah was a Babbar Sher Himself in His own way. He went to the holy places of both Hindus and Muslims and challenged their false rituals. He called Mughal emperor Babar as Jaabar (cruel) on his face. He travelled more than any other Prophet/Messiah of any other religion and that too without any army or weapons (although some say there is a Gurdwara somewhere near Tibet where Pehle Patshah’s barsha is still sushobhit). Now to do all that, you got to be someone who doesn’t choose a convenient lifestyle.
October 01, 2010 01:10PM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

1) Guru Nanak Sahib is the same one who recited "Jo To Prem Khelan Ka Chao...". 1699 was the completed evolution of that and many Shabads like it i.e. "Hamri Jaat Paat Gur Satgur...".

2) Guru Nanak Sahib wrote Babbar Bani and did not hesitate to take on the Mughals, as evidenced by his imprisonment and our history.

3) Guru Angad Sahib established wrestling akharas to establish physical fitness in the Sikhs and begin the impartment of a martial tradition.

4) Guru Arjun Sahib attained Shaheedi for his principles and actually told Sai Mian Mir that he was setting the foundation of Sikh Shaheeds.

5) The sakhi of Bhai Manjh illustrates just HOW difficult Sikhi could be back in the day.

6) Guru Hargobind Sahib had established an army and fought the Mughals head on. Military tradition was given a presence, but the foundations were there from the time of Guru Nanak Sahib to stand up to injustice and tyranny.

7) Charan Amrit was around since the time of Guru Nanak Sahib. It was transformed, and not a new invention of the Tenth Master, into the Amrit by the Punj Pyare. The ceremony to commit oneself to the Guru was there from the beginning.

and there are many more. The reasoning that Guru Nanak's Sikhi is easier than Guru Gobind Singh Ji's is weak. Anyone who has read even a tiny selection of Gurbani would be able to see that the message of the Ten Patshahian was the same and that Gurbani itself is the basis from which 1699 was produced. Those who claim otherwise are kidding themselves.

People are just looking for excuses. If they think that being a Sikh of Guru Nanak Sahib is so easy, tell them to read sakhis of Bhai Mardana and see exactly how "easy" it was to be a Sikh of Guru Nanak Sahib.
October 01, 2010 05:39PM
Regarding the part about people trying to escape the amritdhari lifestyle, perhaps Bhai Kulbir Singh could shed some light, but weren't the same rehits given by Guru Gobind Singh Ji in 1699 also already in place during the time of pele patshah?
October 01, 2010 06:34PM
The type of people who ask these questions about the differences of Guru Sahib are usually people from the Radha Swami Cult or other cults with the same agenda. I have learned through experience that its best to avoid socializing and exchanging Gurmat with such unworthy people. I was once talking to a Radha Swami person , and I know how much they cant stand Dasmi Paatshah. I kept saying "Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji" "Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji" .. to him , and he finally got annoyed and asked me why do you keep saying his name I replied because his name seems sweet to my tongue, he tryed to be smart and asked me doesn't the other Gurus name seem sweet? I replied," Yes" there is no difference between Guru Sahiban my masters name seem sweet to me, and he stayed quiet and decided to find some other way to undermine Sikhi. He then asked me " how did Guru Nanak go to Mecca if he was not Muslim". After my reply he try to find some other fault in Sikhi, and he kept going on and on. ITs best just to avoid these people they have such bad fortune and they try to pollute others around them. If someone is genuine in asking such questions then you should refer them to the following verses in Bachitar Natak

ਚੌਪਈ ॥

ਤਿਨ ਇਹ ਕਲ ਮੋ ਧਰਮੁ ਚਲਾਯੋ ॥ ਸਭ ਸਾਧਨ ਕੋ ਰਾਹੁ ਬਤਾਯੋ ॥
Guru Nanak spread Dharma in the Dark age and put the saints on the path.

ਜੋ ਤਾਂ ਕੇ ਮਾਰਗ ਮਹਿ ਆਏ ॥ ਤੇ ਕਬਹੂੰ ਨਹਿ ਪਾਪ ਸੰਤਾਏ ॥੫॥
Those who followed the path propagated by him, were never harmed by the vices.5.

ਜੇ ਜੇ ਪੰਥ ਤਵਨ ਕੇ ਪਰੇ ॥ ਪਾਪ ਤਾਪ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਹਰੇ ॥
All those who came within his fold, they were absolved of all their sins and troubles,

ਦੂਖ ਭੂਖ ਕਬਹੂੰ ਨ ਸੰਤਾਏ ॥ ਜਾਲ ਕਾਲ ਕੇ ਬੀਚ ਨ ਆਏ ॥੬॥
Their sorrows, their wants were vanished and even their transmigration came to and end.6.

ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਗਦ ਕੋ ਬਪੁ ਧਰਾ ॥ ਧਰਮ ਪ੍ਰਚੁਰ ਇਹ ਜਗ ਮੋ ਕਰਾ ॥
Nanak transformed himself to Angad and spread Dharma in the world.

ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਪੁਨਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਹਾਯੋ ॥ ਜਨੁ ਦੀਪਕ ਤੇ ਦੀਪ ਜਗਾਯੋ ॥੭॥
He was called Amar Das in the next transformation, a lamp was lit from the lamp.7.

ਜਬ ਬਰਦਾਨਿ ਸਮੈ ਵੁਹ ਆਵਾ ॥ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਤਬ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਹਾਵਾ ॥
When the opportune time came for the boon, then the Guru was called Ram Das.

ਤਿਹ ਬਰਦਾਨਿ ਪੁਰਾਤਨਿ ਦੀਆ ॥ ਅਮਰਦਾਸਿ ਸੁਰਪੁਰਿ ਮਗੁ ਲੀਆ ॥੮॥
The old boon was bestowed upon him, when Amar Das departed for the heavens.8.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਗਦਿ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨਾ ॥ ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਅੰਗਦ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਾ ॥
Sri Nanak was recognized in Angad, and Angad in Amar Das.

ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਕਹਾਯੋ ॥ ਸਾਧਨ ਲਖਾ ਮੂੜ੍ਹ ਨਹਿ ਪਾਯੋ ॥੯॥
Amar Das was called Ram Das, only the saints know it and the fools did not.9.

ਭਿੰਨ ਭਿੰਨ ਸਭਹੂੰ ਕਰ ਜਾਨਾ ॥ ਏਕ ਰੂਪ ਕਿਨਹੂੰ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਾ ॥
The people on the whole considered them as separate ones, but there were few who recognized them as one and the same.

ਜਿਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਸਿਧ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਬਿਨ ਸਮਝੇ ਸਿਧਿ ਹਾਥਿ ਨ ਆਈ ॥੧੦॥
Those who recognized them as One, they were successful on the spiritual plane. Without recognition there was no success.10.

ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਮਿਲ ਗਏ ॥ ਗੁਰਤਾ ਦੇਤ ਅਰਜਨਿਹ ਭਏ ॥
When Ramdas merged in the Lord, the Guruship was bestowed upon Arjan

ਜਬ ਅਰਜਨ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਲੋਕਿ ਸਿਧਾਏ ॥ ਹਰਿਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਤਿਹ ਠਾ ਠਹਰਾਏ ॥੧੧॥
When Arjan left for the abode of the Lord, Hargobind was seated on this throne.11.

ਹਰਿਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਲੋਕਿ ਸਿਧਾਰੇ ॥ ਹਰੀਰਾਇ ਤਹਿ ਠਾਂ ਬੈਠਾਰੇ ॥
When Hargobind left for the abode of the Lord, Har rai was seated in his place.

ਹਰੀਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਸੁਤ ਵਏ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਤੇ ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਭਏ ॥੧੨॥
Har Krishan (the next Guru) was his son; after him, Tegh Bahadur became the Guru.12.

ਤਿਲਕ ਜੰਵੂ ਰਾਖਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤਾ ਕਾ ॥ ਕੀਨੋ ਬਡੋ ਕਲੂ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਕਾ ॥
He protected the forehead mark and sacred thread (of the Hindus) which marked a great event in the Iron age.

ਸਾਧਨ ਹੇਤਿ ਇਤੀ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਰੀ ॥ ਸੀਸੁ ਦੀਆ ਪਰ ਸੀ ਨ ਉਚਰੀ ॥੧੩॥
For the sake of saints, he laid down his head without even a sign.13.

ਧਰਮ ਹੇਤਿ ਸਾਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ॥ ਸੀਸੁ ਦੀਆ ਪਰ ਸਿਰਰੁ ਨ ਦੀਆ ॥
For the sake of Dharma, he sacrificed himself. He laid down his head but not his creed.

ਨਾਟਕ ਚੇਟਕ ਕੀਏ ਕੁਕਾਜਾ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਲੋਗਨ ਕਹ ਆਵਤ ਲਾਜਾ ॥੧੪॥
The saints of the Lord abhor the performance of miracles and malpractices. 14.

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥
DOHRA

ਠੀਕਰਿ ਫੋਰਿ ਦਿਲੀਸਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਪੁਰਿ ਕੀਯਾ ਪਯਾਨ ॥
Breaking the potsherd of his body head of the king of Delhi (Aurangzeb), He left for the abode of the Lord.

ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਸੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਆ ਕਰੀ ਨ ਕਿਨਹੂੰ ਆਨ ॥੧੫॥
None could perform such a feat as that of Tegh Bahadur.15.

ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਕੇ ਚਲਤ ਭਯੋ ਜਗਤ ਕੋ ਸੋਕ ॥
The whole world bemoaned the departure of Tegh Bahadur.

ਹੈ ਹੈ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਜਗ ਭਯੋ ਜੈ ਜੈ ਜੈ ਸੁਰ ਲੋਕਿ ॥੧੬॥
Whit the world Iamented, the gods hailed his arrival in heavens.16.

Then direct them to famous shabad in Bachitar Natak.

ਅਬ ਮੈ ਅਪਨੀ ਕਥਾ ਬਖਾਨੋ ॥ ਤਪ ਸਾਧਤ ਜਿਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਮੁਹਿ ਆਨੋ ॥
Now I relate my own story as to how I was brought here, while I was absorbed in deep meditation.
October 02, 2010 06:13AM
These people are ignoring the Charan Amrit Sanchaar. There is no such thing as non-Amritdhari Sikh. If someone wanted to become a Sikh of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee they had to take Amrit, same as now, to get Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee as your dad and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee as your Guru one has to take Amrit.

As Veer Jee has posted above, these people are making a difference between Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee and Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee whereas as we know and Guru Jee has said themselves, they are one and the same.

ਚਰਨ ਧੋਇ ਰਹਰਾਸਿ ਕਰਿ ਚਰਣਾਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਿਖਾਂ ਪੀਲਾਇਆ ||
charan dhhoe reharaas kar charanaamrith sikhaa(n) peelaaeiaa ||
He washed His feet, praised God and got his Disciples drink the ambrosia of his feet.
Bhai Sahib Gurdaas Jee Vaar 1 [www.sikhitothemax.com]

Wherever Guru Jee went, and someone wanted to become a Sikh, they had to take Charan Amrit and were given the following 3 Hukams:

1. To always arise early in the morning (amritvela) and meditate on Naam
2. To help those in need
3. To not remove any hair on their body

Then Dashmesh Guru Jee finalised the Charan Amrit to Khande Bata Amrit so that Amrit would always be able to be administered by 5 Gurmukhs in Hazoori of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee for as much time to come and to prevent all impostor Gurus from popping up. Guru Jee did bachan when Bhai Jaita Jee (later Bhai Jeevan Singh Jee) came back from Delhi and reported that Sikhs were not stepping up to claim Maharaj Jee's sees and dhaR and trying to hide their identity, Guru jee upon hearing this said I will give my Sikhs such an identity, that even if they want to not be recognised, they will still be recognised. I think even prior to 1699 majority of Gursikhs would have been following similar rehat to now, but at that time in 1699 everything was finalised and formalised for the time to come.

Sorry for all mistakes, please correct them.
October 05, 2010 12:40PM
Thanks all Veer Bhein ji for very inspiring and informative posts. Related with it are few more points.

One of my friends, always makes it important to note that Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Sahib was also having "5 K" with Him. It is hard for him to imagine that Guru Sahib was without Kirpan or Kara.

Veer Ji, further says that when Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Sahib addressed Khalsa on Vaisakhi 1999; a lot of the Sangat took Amrit. So, the requirement of "5 Ks" for Amrit shows that all Sangat was already having that on body. Sangat was in the habit of wearing all those; the Amrit made it compulsory.

Any further comments about it pl.?
October 08, 2010 02:17PM
Please read it 1699, and not 1999. A typo ji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login