ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taking a Power Nap in the Afternoons

Posted by Tejasv 
Taking a Power Nap in the Afternoons
September 23, 2010 07:20AM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I have heard about CDs scientifically assisting in taking a quick and effective 20-30 minute nap in the afternoons (or anytime for that matter).
What this basically does is that it helps you quickly go to sleep and then awakens you after 20 minutes. One just has to listen to the CD. The way the music in the CD works is all scientific stuff. The link, for more info, is as follows: [www.powernap.com]

Now, usual work schedule is about 8 hrs a day for most of us and naps in afternoons would be of great help. But since lunch time is not enough to take out time in afternoons for a natural nap (where you first try and sleep and then wake up after some time).

So I was wondering, is it OK to use this CD (according to gurmat) for helping getting a quick 20 minute nap?
My reason in favor of this is that since a nap increases efficiency, one can spend more time towards Naam and Gurbani and get ample rest in short time.

I would like sangat's views on this. I would be grateful if you could share your views and concerns, especially concerns related to Gurmat, if any.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Sahib/Bhain ji,

Have you tried this in past? Does it really work? They should have a sample recording we can listening but that would probably give away the entire formula!
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Yes, it does work. I have tried it. I was just wondering if there are any Gurmat related issues to getting sleep by listening to this kind of CD? This question might seem absurd but the very fact that I don't know, is why I ask.

The technology behind it is as follows:
How does it work?
When you sleep under normal circumstances, your brain cycles through several different stages of Delta, Theta, Alpha, and Beta sleep waves. You drift from one stage of sleep to another—from deep sleep to dreaming to wakefulness and so on. These waves are inaudible to the human ear.

Through advanced mastering technology, Power Nap piggybacks the sleep waves on audible “carrier waves” within the audible range. The result: you get the effect of the natural waves so you can sleep!

Listen to the Power Nap recording through headphones. Your brain has no sensory input other than the carrier waves playing through your ears. When you hear more than 60 seconds of a certain frequency, your brain modulates to match it. Listening to the Power Nap recording through stereo headphones for 20 minutes guides your brain through a pattern of deep sleep that would otherwise require three hours!

What happens when you listen?
You will hear pleasing waterfall-like sounds throughout the duration of your Power Nap. During the first 5 minutes or so, your brain adjusts to the sounds coming through the headphones. For the next 10 minutes, the Power Nap recording cycles your brain between deep and REM sleep periods, finally bringing your mind to a state of heightened wakefulness at the end of the recording. Then the waterfall-like sounds stop. You awaken spontaneously, feeling refreshed—as though you’ve had a long nap.

What do the waterfall sounds do?
The waterfall sounds actually don't do anything. The waterfall sounds are there so you don't have to listen to 20 minutes of "nothing" while you are Power Napping. The wavelengths that actually make Power Nap work are well below the range of human hearing, generally between 1 and 12Hz. While you are listening actively to the recording, you will begin to think you’re hearing all kinds of sounds within the white noise. This is normal. These “artifacts” are a sign that your brain has synchronized with the recording and that Power Nap is working.

I would request the opinion/views of others on this topic also, please.

Thanks
I looked into this some time ago, I myself did not find it helpful, in fact, quite irritating. I was not able to sleep listening to it.

Here is a link to download the recording: http://warrior-coach.com/sleep/Polynap5_26_minutes.mp3 It is just a sound file of white, blue, brown, and grey noise.

However, if it helps a Gursikh to get some rest how can it not be acceptable? I personally do not see any issues with this, all the best with it smiling smiley
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Bhai Sahi Bhai Randheer Singh Ji took a trip with Akali Kaur Singh into the mountains and found the environment to be very suitable for Bhagti. Less noise, more peace...I guess that trip could have been seen as a boost/aid to Bhai Sahib and Akali Ji's Bhagti.

If the CD does not contain anti-Gurmat things such as music lyrics and whatnot and it does not compromise your Rehat, but rather grants you sleep and makes your time management more efficient towards Bhagti/Simran/Keertan/Paath/gurbani Vichaar, it seems appropriate.

Unless it messes up your regular sleep cycles and causes long term symptoms...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login