ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pests in the Vegetable Garden

Posted by sadhren 
Pests in the Vegetable Garden
August 31, 2010 04:33PM
Guruji has blessed us with a small vegetable garden in our humble home. Specially in the tomato plants, i find a lot of "green Worms" which destroy the tomatoes and eat away the leaves. I do not kill them, but trim the leaves/stem where the worm is feeding on and put it in the trash can with green waste so that the insect has something to feed on until the day the waste company can take the green waste away.

I feel very bad and need guidance on how according to Gurmat should this situation be handled. I have read the other posts on "pesticides" etc. what is the right way?..

Guruji has laid the most emphasis on "Ghristhi" and such things happen in normal Ghristha life..

However, if we find a snake in the Garden, we make sure NOT to kill it but put water or somehow drive it away towards the wood/green belt etc...

I look to the Guru Roop Sangat for answers...
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Pests in the Vegetable Garden
September 01, 2010 12:25PM
you should let the snake stay in the garden, as the snake eats pests. there's a natural balance of predator and prey in nature. it's good to try to restore this balance in our gardens as well.

what kind of green worms do the damage? there are predatory wasps which eat many insect larvae (worms)... you can attract them to your garden by planting saunf or clover. they will by attracted by the smell of the saunf, but when they see the worms nearby, they will eat the worms.
you can also spray your tomatoes with salt water on a regular basis (not the root area, just the leaves/fruits), which makes the worms sick, so they will avoid it. or sprinkle cornmeal (maki atta) around the base of the plant- the worms don't like to cross it.

there are many natural remedies to reduce pests in our garden that don't involve pesticides. look for books and websites on natural gardening for more info.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login