ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magahar & Kansi Sakhi

Posted by Vista 
Magahar & Kansi Sakhi
August 19, 2010 02:22PM
One of the holiest city for the Hindus is Kanshi, which is also known as Banaras. Both Banaras and Kanshi are the names of the same city. Banaras is the commercial name of this city while Kanshi is the religious or Dharmik name of this city.

Devout Hindus believe that whoever dies in Kanshi goes straight to Shivpuri. Shivpuri is a place above Swarag (heaven) but much below Sach Khand. This is the place where Shiva the Hindu lord resides.

The bhagats of Shiva prefer to die in Kanshi, so that they may go straight to Shivpuri. In olden days, there were Karvats (cutting saw) in Kanshi, where old people used to pay Pandits to get cut by Karvat. They believed that if they give their life in Kanshi, they would go to Shivpuri. Pandits used to take away all the money of people committing suicide there. They used to promise them Shivpuri after death. Kanshi was the suicide capital of the world in those days.

Maghar is another city, that is not far from Kanshi. The story behind Maghar is most interesting and very humorous too. It is said that Vishvamitra the famous Hindu sage, planned to build a parallel city to Kanshi, where people who die would go to a higher dimension. Vishwamitra announced that whoever would die in Maghar would go to a higher destination than even Shivpuri.

People had great reverence for Vishwamitra and were aware of his spiritual power. They flocked to Maghar hoping to die there and go to a higher destination. A lot of people from Kanshi too started moving to Maghar and this infuriated Shiva very much as he was losing devotees to Vishwamitra.

Shiva and Vishnu devised a very good plan. I am not sure who was despatched with the duty to foil Vishwamitra’s plans to make Maghar the centre of the Hindu world but who ever went there was very shrewd and cunning. That person disguised as a poor and wretched person, went to Maghar to see Vishwamitra and asked him, “Maharishi jee, is it true that if I die in Maghar, I would go to a very high destination?”

Vishwamitra was very pleased to hear this and said, “Yes my son, if you die here, I promise that you will not go to hell and will go to a place higher than Shivpuri”.

About five minutes later that poor person approached Vishwamitra again and asked, “If I die here at Maghar, where will I go?”

Vishwamitra was very busy at that time and was a little annoyed hearing this person repeat his question again. He said, “My dear son, I already told you and I don't like to repeat again and again you will become someone higher than even the angels and will reside in a very beautiful place, above Shivpur”.

That guy left and came back again just few minutes later and accosted Vishwamitra who was very busy at that time. He asked the same question, “So Maharishi jee, what will I become if I die here at Maghar?”.

Vishwamitra is known for his short temper. Great kings even, feared Vishwamitra and never did anything to upset him. Even Siri Krishna used to fear Vishwamitra for his maledictions. The whole generation and family of Siri Krishna was destroyed because of the curse of Vishwamitra. The Kauravs and Paandavs feared him and so did the Gandaars and Maghad Naresh. The only person who fixed Vishwamitra was King Amreek.

Anyway, when Vishwamtra heard that this highly stupid looking person had repeated his question to him, he angrily said, “Oye moorakh Nar, jo bhee yahaan maraega, voh Gardhab banaega” (O stupid rascal, whoever dies here will became a donkey in his next life”.

As soon as Vishwamitra said this, the poor person gave him a victory smile and disappeared from there. He had accomplished what he had come for. He took bachan from Maharishi Vishwamitra that whoever dies in Maghar would become a donkey. When other people heard about Vishwamitra’s bachan, they too fled the city. Kanshi again became the darling city of all Hindus.

So it is the faith of the Hindus that whoever dies in Maghar becomes a donkey and whoever dies in Kanshi goes to Shivpuri.

Bhagat Kabir jee, who was a pooran Brahmgiyani and a great Sikh of Guru Nanak Sahib, decided to give his life in Maghar to free this city from a curse. He wanted to prove to the world that for the real bhagats of Vaheguru, Kanshi and Maghar are the same thing. Who ever does good deeds gets good life after death and whoever does bad deeds gets punished.

All his life Bhagat Kabir jee stayed in Kanshi but towards his last years, he too residence at Maghar to free this city from the curse of Vishwamitra.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Magahar & Kansi Sakhi
August 19, 2010 03:04PM
I must have been a while since I wrote this Saakhi as I had totally forgotten about it. There is a small error in it:

Vishwamitra is known for his short temper. Great kings even, feared Vishwamitra and never did anything to upset him. Even Siri Krishna used to fear Vishwamitra for his maledictions. The whole generation and family of Siri Krishna was destroyed because of the curse of Vishwamitra. The Kauravs and Paandavs feared him and so did the Gandaars and Maghad Naresh. The only person who fixed Vishwamitra was King Amreek.

It was because of the curse of Rishi Durbasha that the family of Siri Krishna was destroyed and not because of Vishwamitra. Gurbani alludes to this incident as follows:

ਦੁਰਬਾਸਾ ਸਿਉ ਕਰਤ ਠਗਉਰੀ ਜਾਦਵ ਏ ਫਲ ਪਾਏ ॥
(By trying to deceive Durbasha, the Yadavs (family of Siri Krishna) received the consequences of it).

All his life Bhagat Kabir jee stayed in Kanshi but towards his last years, he too residence at Maghar to free this city from the curse of Vishwamitra.

Bhagat Kabir jee has written about leaving Kashi and residing in Maghar in the following Pankiti:

ਸਗਲ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਿਵ ਪੁਰੀ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥
ਮਰਤੀ ਬਾਰ ਮਗਹਰਿ ਉਠਿ ਆਇਆ ॥2॥
ਬਹੁਤੁ ਬਰਸ ਤਪੁ ਕੀਆ ਕਾਸੀ ॥
ਮਰਨੁ ਭਇਆ ਮਗਹਰ ਕੀ ਬਾਸੀ ॥3॥

(All life I wasted in Shivpuri (Kanshi) and at the time of death, I came and resided in Maghar. Many years I did meditation in Kanshi but at the time of death, I became a resident of Kanshi).

Vishwamitra may have been a great Rishi, but his curse could not have sent Bhagat Kabir jee to be reborn as a donkey. Just by Darshan of Bhagat jee, people's sins used to wash away. Who can dictate a Brahmgyani?

For Hindus Maghar may be a cursed city but for Gurmukhs Maghar is a blessed city because not only Bhagat Kabir jee resided there but because Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee gave Darshan to Bhagat jee right in this city. More details are sought on this though.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login