ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bibi's groups at gurdwaras...

Posted by 1kaur 
bibi's groups at gurdwaras...
July 26, 2010 08:33AM
a lot of churches and mosques have "women's groups", where maybe once a week or so, ladies of the congregation will get together to discuss issues pertaining to women, or things they're just more comfortable discussing in the company of women.

i think this could be very beneficial for young singhneea too, especially in the west. there are a lot of things a young bibi may want to discuss with someone elder, but doesn't feel comfortable asking a singh about, and doesn't want to ask on a public forum. this is especially true for girls who aren't from gursikh families.

whatever the reason, i thought it might be a good idea to start such a group for bibia at a local gurdwara. bringing more elder singhneea and their younger sisters together so they have place they feel comfortable discussing certain aspects of sikhi (and life in general with a gurmat point of view)

is anyone aware of such a group meeting at any gurdwara, or just at sangats' house? i'd like to talk to the organizers and learn more about how they got the group started, common discussion topics, etc.

so if you know of such a group, or have some suggestion, please let me know. any singhnee in the bay area interested in being involved in such a group, please PM me, i can use all the help i can get.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

In India, there were "Istri Satsang Sabhas" (don't know if this name was universal), where the Sikh bibiya would get together and do Kirtan and Sangat together. Similar groups have formed in the UK and at other places (local Gurudwara has Bibiyan doing Sukhmani Sahib paath here). They could be the basis of such a group as you mention, as Gurbani will bring all together, and the group can then branch out into other initiatives and become comfortable enough with each other to do such discussions.

2 cents.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login