ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sikh Population Staistics.

Posted by MB Singh 
Sikh Population Staistics.
July 20, 2010 10:21PM
According to Wikipedia;

Numbering approximately 27 million worldwide, Sikhs make up 0.39% of the world population of which approximately 83% live in India. Of the Indian Sikh community 19.2 million, i.e. 76% of all Indian Sikhs, live in the northern Indian State of Punjab, where they form a majority 70.9% of the population. Substantial communities of Sikhs, i.e. greater than 200,000, live in the Indian States/Union territories of Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Maharashtra, Uttaranchal and Jammu and Kashmir.

This chart is for Census 2001. Sikh population percentage in India decreases after 1981.

Due primarily to socio-economic reasons, Indian Sikhs have the lowest adjusted decadal growth rate of any major religious group in India, at 16.9% per decade (est. 1991–2001). Johnson and Barrett (2004) estimate that the global Sikh population increases annually by 392,633 Sikhs, i.e. by 1.7% p.a. on 2004 figures, this growth rate takes into account factors such as births, deaths and conversions.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Sikh Population Staistics.
July 20, 2010 10:38PM

Due primarily to socio-economic reasons, Indian Sikhs have the lowest adjusted decadal growth rate of any major religious group in India,

translation:

sikhs are better educated and wealthier than other minorities, meaning they are likely to have smaller families, which while leading to a political disadvantage, is actually better for the planet and the country. over-population is bad for the environment! smiling smiley
If Sikhs are 0.39% of the world population that can be translated as one in 256 is a sikh in the world population. If Amritdhari Khalsa is 5% in the community in general, that means one Amridhari after every 5120 heads.

If we have one JAGAT JOT Khalsa for every one hundred of Amritdhari; that awakened soul is one after 512,000 humanbeings i.e. Two awakened souls for about one million of humanity of Akal Purakh.

eye popping smiley

ਹੈਨਿ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਘਣੇ ਫੈਲ ਫਕੜੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥੧੨॥
hain viralae naahee ghanae fail fakarr sansaar ||12||
The Saints are few and far between; everything else in the world is just a pompous show. ||12||
July 20, 2010 10:52PM
a 1990s survey of north american gurdwaras said that 10-15% of canadian and american sikhs are amritdhari. surely the number has gone up in recent years as well.

the number in india is supposed to be 5%.

i'll see if i can find the source again...
6,859,213,880 is the world population figure caught from the world population clock. WOW, 6859 million means 13,718 SPECIALLY BLESSED SOULS with us are there today. About ten thousand, Quite a promising figure. smiling smiley

Some of them must be in Toronto. eye popping smiley
Excellent analysis Bhai MB Singh jeeo and thanks for starting this topic.

You assumed that there is one Jyot-Vigaasi in about half a million population and roughly 2 for every million but Gurbani says:

ਕੋਟਨ ਮੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੋਊ ਨਾਰਾਇਨੁ ਜਿਹ ਚੀਤਿ ॥

As per Gurbani stated above, one in many crores (1 Crore is equal to 1 million) is such in whose heart Vaheguru resides i.e. is a Pooran Gurmukh. So if we assume that many crores means 10 crores, then it would mean that there one Mahapurakh for every 100 million people and if we assume that "many" means about 100 crore, then it would mean that there is one Mahapurakh for every billion people. The world population is about 7 billion. As per the analysis done above the number of Mahapurakhs would be as follows:

One Mahapurakh per 100 million would mean there are 70 Mahapurakhs in the world.
One Mahapurakh per 1 Billion would mean that there are 7 Mahapurakhs in the world.

The minimum Gurmukhs required for an Amrit Sinchaar Samagam are 7 Gurmukhs - 5 Punj Pyare, 1 Granthi and 1 Pehredaar. It seems likely that the total number of Mahapurakhs would have to be at least 7 and maximum around 70.

Now, Gurbani says that one Mahapurakh can purify the the whole town through His (or her) individual Naam Abhyaas Kamaaee. In order to totally turn the tide against Kalyug, it would be necessary to have about 70 Mahapurakhs because I am assuming that there are about 70 big cities in the world.

I am not saying that one Mahapurakh can't purify the whole world but there is a Pankiti in Bhagat Kabir jee's Baani that goes as follows:

ਕਬੀਰ ਸਈ ਮੁਖੁ ਧੰਨਿ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਮੁਖਿ ਕਹੀਐ ਰਾਮੁ ॥ ਦੇਹੀ ਕਿਸ ਕੀ ਬਾਪੁਰੀ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰੁ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਗ੍ਰਾਮੁ ॥੧੧੦॥

(That mouth/face alone is blessed through which mouth Vaheguru is utterred. What to talk about the body, the whole city (where Gurmukh resides)becomes blessed)

From this Pankiti I deduced that normally where a Gurmukh resides, that whole city becomes purified and if 70 Mahapurakhs are residing in all different cities of the world, then surely the whole world would become purified and this would result in multitudes of people engaging in Naam Abhyaas. What a great sight it would be to behold.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Kulbir Singh
Bhai sahib, wouldn't the degh sevadaars plus the naam dridh sevadaars have to be pooran brahmgyanis?

Bhai sahib, wouldn't the degh sevadaars plus the naam dridh sevadaars have to be pooran brahmgyanis?

In an ideal situation, I agree that all Sewadaars should be Pooran Purakhs. Don't know if we will have the good fortune to see such a scene.

Kulbir Singh
July 21, 2010 11:00AM
if all the sevadars involved in every aspect of amrit sanchar were required to be brahmgyani- well i'm not sure we'd see many amrit sanchars happening at all. sad smiley

maybe some day...
Sadly for us, one pooran gurmukh in 1hundred million will only give us 70 true mahapurakhs, not 700.

Sadly for us, one pooran gurmukh in 1hundred million will only give us 70 true mahapurakhs, not 700

That is correct calculation. 1 crore =10 million thus 10 crore = 100 million. So as Kulbir Singh Veer Ji wants to say; one for ten crores = 70 for 700 crores (i.e. of total poulation.)

So as Kulbir Singh Veer Ji tells us minimum is 7 and maximum 70.

ਕੋਟਿ ਮਧੇ ਕੋ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਹੋਰਿ ਸਗਲੇ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
kott madhhae ko viralaa saevak hor sagalae biouhaaree ||1|| rehaao ||
Out of millions, hardly anyone is a servant of the Lord. All the others are mere traders.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login