July 19, 2010 07:41AM
Taken From Bhai Randhir Singh Jees Book Titled Idol Worship
Translated By Bhai Jaspinder Singh jee

"Whom do you worship?"

"Siree Guru Granth Sahib Jee"

"So You Are an idol worshiper."

"Now, why would you say that"?

"Well, worship of anything except God is idol worship, my friend."

"I agree with that definition. Accordingly, we are not idol worshipers, Siree Guru Granth Sahib Jee is God!"

Sadly, many, even in the Sikh Panth, are not confident of this Truth. Often-quoted, well known Sikh historian, Kushwant Singh writes: "Sikhs, who also profess to be against idol worship, treat the Granth Sahib much as the same way as Hindus treat their idols. The Granth Sahib is "woken up" in the morning (prakash) and put to sleep (santokhna) at night. It is draped in rich embroidered silks and taken out in processions. In homes of the rich, a room is set apart for the holy book (Baba jee da kamra), and fans or ACs are kept going around the clock during the summer months."

Kushwant's is a typical view of person observing our faith from the outside looking in. The profound respect for Siree Guru Granth Sahib Jee displayed by Gursikhs has been misconstrued as equivalent to idol worship. Following is a dialogue between Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and an observer like Kushwant Singh. It is taken from Bhai Sahibs book....

The observer is questioning on how Siree Guru Granth Sahib Jee can have the same attributes as Akaal Purakh

More to follow in next few days....

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
kushwant singh famously drank a glass of liquor while translating japji sahib. angry smiley

i would not listen to him speak about anything.
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Please correct me for any erroneous thoughts I am about to write:

I found it odd that Guru Sahib is said to have awakened when Parkash is done and going to sleep when Sukhaasan is done. I always equated Parkash with The True Emperor Ascending To His Throne and convening the True Court and Sukhaasan with retiring and dismissing the True Court for the day, much as even worldly emperors conclude their official court sessions after its duties are concluded. Hukamnama from Guru Sahib is the Order of the Day - what the loyal subject should be engaged in. Much as worldly emperors have minstrels and bards to praise themselves, Guru Sahib praises the Source Creator, The Emperor or All (of which Gurbani is one and the same) - Akaal Purakh - Kirtan and Paath. Guidance and understanding of proper following of the Divine Edicts/Regulations/Laws is provided by Katha.

Why are connotations of sleep and awakening applied to Guru Sahib?

Sorry if any of the above is offensive...please correct as necessary.

Khushwant has admitted in an interview that he is NOT a Sikh and wears a turban to be "associated" with the Sikh community (though he will readily swap a Dastaar for a topi, as pictures have documented). Sadly, I can no longer find this interview, as it was on the internet (and may still be).

I found it odd that Guru Sahib is said to have awakened when Parkash is done and going to sleep when Sukhaasan is done. I always equated Parkash with The True Emperor Ascending To His Throne and convening the True Court and Sukhaasan with retiring and dismissing the True Court for the day, much as even worldly emperors conclude their official court sessions after its duties are concluded.

i think this is a perfect analogy. the idea that guru sahib "sleeps" doesn't fit with what i understand of gurmat.

thanks for posting this thought.
Key O = Observer
B = Bhai Sahib

O: One of the attributes of Akaal Purakh is manifestation in Divine Light Form

B: GurbaNee in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is also Embodiment of the light Form.

O: But we don't see the Light in GurbaNee

B: Have you had a glimpse of the Effulgence of Akaal Purakh! What greater significance lies in calling Akaal Purakh as Embodiment of Light? The experience of envisioning Divine Light in fact depends upon the alchemy of GurbaNee through deep devotion following Gurmat. It is the miracle of devotion to GurbaNee that not only GurbaNee is visioned as the Cosmic Enlightened Image but also makes the hidden Divine Light, Akaal Purakh, perceptible in full splendrous Glory. GurbaNee is the very embodiment of Divine Attributes and not just a description.

O: Yet the Attributes of Akaal Purakh contained in Him Alone. Just as coolness of water lies in the water. To state 'water is cool', is a mere description, unable to give experience of coolness.

B: Although a simile is a poor tool, yet, we shall employ it to illustrate our point. Akaal Purakh is cool & so is GurbaNee. For most of the people saying 'Akaal Purakh is cool' is mere hearsay whereas those with high spirituality have undeniable experience that 'GurbaNee is cool'. Unless a person takes a drink of water for direct experience of water's coolness, his earlier statement of 'water is cool' is hearsay and can never form a firm belief. Repeating 'water is cool' is unable to bestow the experience of waters coolness. Note the difference with repetition of Nectarian GurbaNee. It It bestows the experience of imbibing Nectar. Such is the alchemy of GurbaNee! There is no parallel to GurbaNee in worldly objects. Utterance of Divine Attributes, GurbaNee bestows the experience of Akaal Purakh with all Divine Attributes.

More to come..
This I believe is the first book of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and what a masterpiece it is. Bhai Sahib has boldly said and proved that Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee not only contains the accounts of Vaheguru jee's qualities but also contain all qualities of Vaheguru, hence it is Vaheguru himself.

Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee is the Satguru and as per the 6th pauri of Siri Asa kee Vaar, Vaheguru has placed himself in the Satguru. So Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee is Vaheguru. Worshipping Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee is not idol worshipping at all because Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee is not an idol and it does not represent Vaheguru but it is Vaheguru himself.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
O: It may be conceded that GurbaNee is an Embodiment of Divine attributes, yet your own words, it is devotional repetiton of baNee that reveals the Divine Attributes and Akaal Purakh, Thus source of attributes remains with Akaal Purakh only.

B: Indeed Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is the Bouquet of Revealed Divine Attributes. Then, what different Attributes do you ascribe to Akaal Purakh?

O: These Attributes contained in Akaal Purakh defy description

B: You are now denying that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is even a description of Akaal Purakh's Attributes!

O: It is not that, I agree that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is a description all right.

B: The your saying that the Attributes defy description is wrong.

O:Description of Attributes is not ordinarily possible.

Bgrinning smileyo you agree the the All-Knowing Satguru can describe These?

O:Yes, Satguru has this capability

B: Satguru in this Infinite capability has directly comprehended Attributes of Akaal Purakh and embodied these in GurbaNee, the Eternal Satguru. Those who realize Akaal Purakh with highest spirituality bear testimony that Manifestation of Divine Attributes is exactly same as in Akaal Purakh, Supreme Being . Efficacy of these Attributes turns ignorance of a mortal into super intellect, envisioning Akaal Purakh, Source of the Attributes, in Gull Effulgent in Glory. The attributes of physical objects are not self-inducing and are mere descriptions. However, the Spiritual Divine Attributes, GurbaNee, impart Alchemic touch with repetition and reveal the Attributes as also Akaal Purakh.

O: The question remains that the attributes abide truly in Akaal Purakh only.

B: Akaal Purakh is Immanent; existing in all and everywhere; contains all and everything. To say that Divine Attributes are only in Akaal Puakh has little meaning and playing with words. In fact, lacking personal experience, one sees no attributes in either Akaal Purakh or Siri Guru Granth Sahib Jee; conviction of the Truth cannot be formed. It is Divine Grace that Embodiment of Divine Attributes, Siri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, is made available to humanity for God Realization and enshrining the Attributes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login