ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

resources for understanding sikhi...

Posted by 1kaur 
it seems like there's some confusion on where we should get our answers for sikhi related questions.

here's my meager understanding:

1: Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee
2: Banee of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Jee
3: Panth approved writing of Bhai Gurdas Jee / Bhai Nand Lal Jee
4: Rehet given to us by Panj Piyaras
5: Panthic Sikh Rehet Maryada (with modifications as given by above - keskee, bibek, etc)
6: Sakhees, historic literature, historic rehetnamay, advice of elder gurmukh Singhs.
last on the list would be asking random strangers on the internet (if we can't find the answers through the first means).

this is just my personal thought... not based on anything other than my small understanding of sikhee. it seems that if something lower on the list contradicts something higher on the list- then we should not base our decision on it. for example, if something in the Panthic Rehet Maryada contradicts Gurbanee, then clearly we should follow Gurbanee (example- halal meat is ok by rehet maryada (number 5), but is condemned by 1, 3, and 4).

does this make sense? ultimately, everything must be compared to Gurbanee first. if it fails that comparison, it cannot be true (example, historic rehetnamay which approve consumption of opium and alcohol).

thoughts?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
this is really great bhainji.
people nowadays come across one contradiction and stop in their paths, confused, feeling helpless..
and usually follow the path that mahraji ji forbids ie: meat..people will follow, because some other rehetnama allows it.
I think this is a great way to tell people to think things through, to make sense of things
rather than following rules blindly...

>grinning smiley<
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login