ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

In 1699, how did 20,000 people take Amrit and Naam Drir in one day?

Posted by Singh. 
On Vaisakhi 1699 Guru Gobind Singh jee created the Khalsa. Personally I believe that Guru Sahib also gave Naam drirh at this ceremony....historians say that some 20,000 people took the amrit on this day. Now the question is how can Naam drirh be given to so many people in one day. We see that in India amrit sanchars can take up to 12 hours just for less than 100 people.

Please discuss.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

On Vaisakhi 1699 Guru Gobind Singh jee created the Khalsa. Personally I believe that Guru Sahib also gave Naam drirh at this ceremony....historians say that some 20,000 people took the amrit on this day. Now the question is how can Naam drirh be given to so many people in one day. We see that in India amrit sanchars can take up to 12 hours just for less than 100 people.

Good question. Presented below are the humble views of this Daas, based on his meagre understanding.

Its not true that 20,000 people took Amrit in one day only. The Amrit Sinchaars went on for many days and were done by many Jathas of Punj Pyare. When the original Jatha of Punj Pyare gave Amrit, then new Jathas were formed almost immediately after Amrit Chhak.

The second thing is that most of the people who took Amrit that day were not new Sikhs but were already Sikhs who had done Naam DriR from Guru Sahib when they had originally taken Pahul (Charan Pahul). So at this time, most of them only had to take Amrit and did not need to be done Naam DriR. There were Brahmgyanis like Bhai Mani Singh who took Amrit that day but they did not need Naam DriR and I doubt Bhai Daya Singh and the other original Punj Pyare required Naam DriR. They were already Gurmukhs of high spiritual Avastha when they took Amrit from Siri Guru jee.

Kulbir Singh
Should we discuss this at all ?

ਗੁਰਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਾ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵਹੁ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਹੇ ਧਾਵਹੁ ॥

My apologies for saying this but i think such questions only give birth to controversies and which are already in abudance in the PANTH today (Was reading some non-sense article this morning that did Blunders - badly hurt the basics of Sikhi).

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Reading Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee post this question may come to the minds of some that why Sikhs have to go for Amrit Shhak again if they were already given Amrit before (before Vaisaakhi 1699). Well the answer is simple and very straight forward that if Guru of Sikhs had to Shhak the Amrit (Khaday dee Pahul) again to become Guru Gobind Singh from Guru Gobind Rai, then all his Sikhs must follow the same. That is why Guru Sahib is also known as “Vaah Vaah Gobind Singh Apay Gur Chela”. Each and every SiKh there went thru this process again. That is why till date it is important to Shhak Khaday dee Pahul to initiate into Khalsa Panth. This is the only way to become a Sikh.

There is no such a thing of Sehajdhari Sikh, Nirmala Sikh, This Panthi Sikh, That Panthi Sikh and etc because without Khaday dee Pahul and Five Kakkar Rehat (Kash Karrah Kirpan Kanga Keski) no one remains Sikh of Guru no matter if he had great Bhagati before “Rehat Bina Na Sikh Khavaiy, Rehat Bina Dar Chotta(n) Khavaiy”.

Ek Granth, Ek Panth and Ek Nishaan

With Regards,
Daas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login