ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Saas Giraas Simran

Posted by Dasn Daas 
Saas Giraas Simran
July 08, 2010 01:13AM
VaheguruJiKaKhalsaVaheguruJiKiFateh

Daas has a question about saas giras simran.
When listening to kirtan by the akhand kirtani jatha, one can hear the gurmukhs do simran as VaaahGurrrrr or just Gurrrr etc..
But Guru Ji cleared out that the shabad is Vaheguroo ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ .
Is it acceptable to pronounce shabad as Vaahgurrr or Gurrr etc. ??
Bhai Sahib Bhai Gurdas Ji explains in his vaars: ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ ਹੈ ਜਪਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਖੋਈ ॥
Why does he not write 'Vaahgurrr Gur mantar hae' or in any other way?

But Daas is khin khin bhoolanhaar, so I could be wrong.
ਅਸੀਖਤੇਬਹੁਤੁਕਮਾਵਦੇਅੰਤੁਨਪਾਰਾਵਾਰੁ॥ਹਰਿਕਿਰਪਾਕਰਿਕੈਬਖਸਿਲੈਹੁਹਉਪਾਪੀਵਡਗੁਨਹਗਾਰੁ॥
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Saas Giraas Simran
July 08, 2010 08:52AM
Excellent question. When chanting Naam saas giraas Gurmukhs emphasize the raara because this is what the Gurmat jugti of Naam Abhyaas is. It would be best if one gets Pesh in the Darbar of Punj to learn the Gurmat Jugti.

Many individuals who themselves have not been blessed with Gurmat jugti, sometimes even indulge in slandering the Gurmukhs who japp Naam this way. This is a Karma that must be avoided.

Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
July 08, 2010 07:56PM
With Guru Ji's kirpa, daas has received Khande bateh da Anmrit. I was told by the punj that Vaheguru is the Gurmantar. Does this mean I need to get pesh in darbar of Guru Ji and get naam dridh?
July 08, 2010 08:04PM
Dear Daasan Daas,

Daas has come across many Amritdharis who ask around how to Japp Naam, where to concentrate and other such questions with respect to Naam. Many Amritdharis go to Sants and Babas to learn the technique of Naam. But the best place to learn the Jugti of Naam is from the place where one receives Naam i.e. the Darbaar of Punj Pyare.

If one has a Mercedes standing out on the driveway but don't know how to drive it, what use is the car to the owner? If one has received Naam Gurmantr from Punj Pyare but has not learned how to Japp it, how will one derive full benefit from Naam?

This Daas is not going to tell you to go pesh somewhere but one thing is for sure - when the student is ready the teacher arrives. Same way when one gets Pyaas for Vaheguru, one would look for Naam and when one has Naam one will get thirsty to Japp Naam. When one tries different ways to japp Naam and not get satisfied, then one will do Ardaas. When one does Ardaas from bottom of the heart, the Ardaas is heard in the Darbaar of Vaheguru. Guru Sahib will then Himself guide one to go to the place where one can get Naam Drir.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
July 09, 2010 05:26AM
Please forgive any mistakes in advance. Bhai Kulbir Singh ji can shed more light on this.

For years upon years I came across non-AKJ Gursikhs who would question and even mock the way Singhs from the Jatha do saas giraas simran. Few of them even said that they make sound like pigeons (referring to Gurrrr Gurrrr). I never knew what exactly to say, until at a recent rensabhai I got my answer.

At a certain stage, one's simran speed becomes faster than normal. The thirst of Naam is such that the more you japp it, the more it increases, unlike water where you drink a few sips and you are satisfied. That is where the sound Gurrrr Gurrrr originates from, the desperation of the person doing simran, its what you would say in Punjabi "pyaar vich tadafna". I don't like when people are clearly imitating other Gurmukhs and make such sounds. You can easily make out when someone is doing it out of rass, or merely pretending. Next about the pigeon sound. During such a simran moment, it is very much possible for one to feel bairaag, which directly affects your throat and thereby your voice. The voice becomes high pitched. Now combine the high speed of simran done by a thirsty soul who is also in bairaag, you get what those people call pigeon sound. There are youngsters who imitate such sounds and it is so obvious as you don't see them in rass (or maybe I am blind to it).

This is just my understanding, I could be totally wrong. Please forgive and correct me wherever I am wrong.
July 09, 2010 09:08AM
According to my understanding, Naam Drirh is defined as :

Parvesh ( putting) gurmantar into the swas (breath) of the abhilakhi (amrit seeker)

This can only happen by the power of Satguru jyot which works through the Punj pyaraas

Once, the gurmantar enters into breath, one can only pronounce vahegurrrr.... uuu (the sound of uu is ONLY audible to the person doing abhiyaas and not to anyone else)

Just to add one thing more, even in AKJ, some distortions regarding naam drirh have occurred, so its best to get pesh at an AKJ smagam where tyar byar tyar naam abhiyaasi singhs do seva. Tapoban Sahib is a good place to get pesh.
July 09, 2010 04:11PM
VaheguruJiKaKhalsaVaheguruJiKiFateh

Thank you veers for shedding some light.
I am not against the Akhand Kirtan Jathebandi, daas was only curious as to if it was acceptable to alter the pronunciation of the shabad, as in gurbani it is not acceptable. But i guess it goes otherwise for simran.

Mehtab Singh Ji, I totally agree with you that there can be some people that fake it and just imitate others. But I guess there is still some phal. The best way to do Simran would be whichever way you feel most comfortable with, even if it includes doing antar (inside). Sri Sukhmani Sahib explains: ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਪੁਨੀਤ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥੮॥੧੨॥ (notice pavitar comes 3 times then puneet is obtained), Sri Anand Sahib explains: ਸੁਣਤੇ ਪੁਨੀਤ ਕਹਤੇ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰੇ ॥ ਬਿਨਵੰਤਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਣ ਲਾਗੇ ਵਾਜੇ ਅਨਹਦ ਤੂਰੇ ॥੪੦॥੧॥ (sunte: listening = puneet) (kehte: singing = pavit) meaning that by listening we recieve three times as much phal. No wonder why Guru Ji says Kaljug meh kirtan pardhana Gurmukh japeeay laye dhiana.

But daas is khin khin bhoolanhar so Satgur knows better!
ਲੇਖੈਕਤਹਿਨਛੂਟੀਐਖਿਨੁਖਿਨੁਭੂਲਨਹਾਰ॥ਬਖਸਨਹਾਰਬਖਸਿਲੈਨਾਨਕਪਾਰਿਉਤਾਰ॥੧॥
July 11, 2010 12:20AM
VaheguroojeekaakhalsaaVaheguroojeekeefatehh...

The only thing daas can say about it is that its "Goongey Kee Mitheyaaee". Only those people know who has tasted it but cannot express it... smiling smiley
No wonder there's only a few who have been blessed...

Bhul Chuk Dee khimaa... Daas is Mahamoorak..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login